2017 - Lightweight/FRN Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slumblor

Re: 2017 - Lightweight/FRN Chaparral

Post by Slumblor »

I finally got my hands on one of these this week, it had been on my want list since it was announced. I really like the design and texture of the FRN and the new pattern. It's solid and well built as you'd expect from Taichung. Lockbar is pretty stiff, as others mentioned, but I remember my CF Chap being that way too and it breaking in.
Kango

Post by Kango »

I love my FRN chaparral. I'm pretty new to spyderco (and folders in general) and have really been looking for a perfect office EDC. I'm a veterinarian so no need for hard use blade. The "sliciness" and weight are ideal for my uses.

I have a stainless delica that I absolutely love and still carry often. The weight difference, blade shape, and ergonomics makes them totally different knives in my eyes. However, after my clipped SS delica slipped out of my pocket twice in front of clients while examining patients, Ive become a little wary of carrying it with slacks.

Enter the LW chappie. For the price you can't beat this. Lockbar took some getting used to and wearing in but it's perfect for discreet yet capable slicey EDC perfection.
likethevegetable

Post by likethevegetable »

I've been debating on a Delica as my next Spydie purchase for the past while, but this is very tempting, and only $16 CAD more... Love the wire-clip and finger choil.

I already have an FRN DFly 2 in VG-10 that I absolutely love; do you think the Chaparral is a big enough of a step up in size to justify for someone who does not like redundant items (I'm a one knife in each size category kind of guy, not a collector)? How does the pocket presence compare between the DFly vs. Chappy? How does the cutting performance feel with the extra 12mm blade? Is it worth it buy the Chappy if I own a DF2 already?

My local knife shop had a Delica, Native, Sage and Para 3 that I compared to my DF2, and they all felt like one level up in size. Out of those, I liked the Delica and Para 3 the best, but the P3 seemed very chunky for it's blade length (compression lock seemed great though). Unfortunately they weren't able to order the Chappy LW in for me to see in person.

Convince me please :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

likethevegetable wrote:My local knife shop had a Delica, Native, Sage and Para 3 that I compared to my DF2, and they all felt like one level up in size. Out of those, I liked the Delica and Para 3 the best, but the P3 seemed very chunky for it's blade length (compression lock seemed great though). Unfortunately they weren't able to order the Chappy LW in for me to see in person.

Convince me please :)
If those other models are a step up in size over the DF (I agree) then I would say the Chap is a 1/2 step up. It's pretty much right in between the DF and the others.

I won't try to convince you on anything, I'll just say that, as much as I like the Dragonfly (I currently have 2), I haven't carried one since getting the Chaparral LW. However, if I didn't have any of those other models you looked at, I'd be picking up something in that size first. I own Delicas, Natives, Sages, and Para 3s and for me they're pretty much the ideal size for EDC.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Haven't pulled the trigger on one of these yet, but I keep coming close ...
Kango

Post by Kango »

The pocket presence of the chappie is...there isn't any at all. I can clip it to my side pocket of slacks and find I don't have to work around it at all if I reach in. The delica I still have to. In the hand it still feels super lightweight. If you like a choil the chappie is perfection. Very slicey with a thin blade but I would turn to the delica if you have harder use in mind.
likethevegetable

Post by likethevegetable »

Ended up with the Chappie, and very pleased with it. Design and execution are first-rate, I believe I found my perfect EDC.

My DF2 feels like a big mini-knife, the Chappie feels like the smallest possible regular sized knife (exactly what I wanted), and the Delica I held in store felt like a regular sized knife.

Back-lock was very stiff at first, but after pushing it in for a few minutes it's much easier to press.
dc50

Post by dc50 »

likethevegetable wrote:Ended up with the Chappie, and very pleased with it. Design and execution are first-rate, I believe I found my perfect EDC.

My DF2 feels like a big mini-knife, the Chappie feels like the smallest possible regular sized knife (exactly what I wanted), and the Delica I held in store felt like a regular sized knife.

Back-lock was very stiff at first, but after pushing it in for a few minutes it's much easier to press.
Good stuff! I'd say in most edc cases, the Chaparral is all a fella really needs.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've been carrying my CF for years and the new FRN version just can't find it's way into rotation. In the end I just prefer the feel of the CF. When I bought it the CF was less than $100, but the now $40 difference is staggering.
dc50

Post by dc50 »

abbazaba wrote:I've been carrying my CF for years and the new FRN version just can't find it's way into rotation. In the end I just prefer the feel of the CF. When I bought it it was roughly the same price as the new FRN version. But the now $40 difference is staggering.
I know what your saying regarding the cost. A couple years ago the CF was 119.00 in Canada, today's price for the frn is 109.00
I'm not complaining, its just the way things go,why a loaf of bread at Safeway is 2.00 to 4.00 depending on what you like. :p
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Im glad to see that the stiff lockbar I experienced seems to go away after some break in. It was definitely stiff and uncomfortable at first compated to my Native LWs, but it seems to be getting a little softer after lots of opening and closing. Other than that, this is a cool little knife. Amazingly thin. I can see this getting some pocket time. Going to be my cardbox box slicer for awhile as well. First time with XHP, so happy to give that a try as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I believe there is a thread here on a simple mod that will lessen the lock bar pressure. It involves removing one scale, sliding the lock bar spring forward a tiny bit and reassembling. I understand that will solve the issue that some may have.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation