2017 - Lightweight/FRN Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: 2017 - Lightweight/FRN Chaparral

Post by RamZar »

nicked.onaut wrote:
sal wrote:We've got production in-house. I carried one today. It was one of my "baby's so I've been on it. I know it's a first run piece, and I'm certainly biased, but I think it's a winner.

sal

At last, A Golden frn Chappie!

thanks, Sal
I believe these are still made at the Taichung, Taiwan plant like the other Chaparrals with the same XHP blade and lock back mechanism. It seems like the only remaining questions are whether there will be liners and what color the FRN will be.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I’ve noticed that Sal doesn’t give much away regarding details when discussing new designs. But, I suspect that this new Chaparral will be a bit more than the current one with FRN scales. I mean why would the Chaparral be in need of higher traction scales? If the new one has FRN (which may be better for offering color variations) minus liners then it might be lighter enough to set a new weight record.

I don’t know but it is going to be interesting to see what lands.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Another reason for a FRN offering is reduced price. The CF/G-10 Chaparral goes for $124.95. I'd assume a FRN offering would go for under $100.

Personally, the Chapparral has four high points. Firstly, it has great slicing performance with a FFG blade of XHP that's only 0.08" thick. Secondly, all the wonderful handle materials. Thirdly, it's legal in many more places due to the under 3" blade length. Finally, it's a light classy folder.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

RamZar wrote:
nicked.onaut wrote:
sal wrote:We've got production in-house. I carried one today. It was one of my "baby's so I've been on it. I know it's a first run piece, and I'm certainly biased, but I think it's a winner.

sal

At last, A Golden frn Chappie!

thanks, Sal
I believe these are still made at the Taichung, Taiwan plant like the other Chaparrals with the same XHP blade and lock back mechanism. It seems like the only remaining questions are whether there will be liners and what color the FRN will be.
MichaelScott wrote:I’ve noticed that Sal doesn’t give much away regarding details when discussing new designs. But, I suspect that this new Chaparral will be a bit more than the current one with FRN scales. I mean why would the Chaparral be in need of higher traction scales? If the new one has FRN (which may be better for offering color variations) minus liners then it might be lighter enough to set a new weight record.

I don’t know but it is going to be interesting to see what lands.
Unless they make drastic changes internally from what I saw (admittedly not disassembled) at Blade Show, it's essentially the same knife, but with half-ish height liners and black FRN scales. In most ways that matter, it's the same, but it's more different from previous Chaparrals than they were different from each other. I'm also 100% sure they're being made in Taichung.
The reason why the Chaparral is getting FRN scales is not just for higher traction on its own, per se, but to create a more affordable, more utilitarian version. Eric told me that they intend this one to come in at around the price of a base Delica, which means you're getting the same workhorse FRN and lockback, but with higher build quality, better steel, a thinner and slicier blade, a 50/50 choil, all in a smaller and thinner package. That's an incredible value, and a spectacular addition to the Spyderco family. It also, for me, instantly becomes my go-to Spyderco recommendation for most people if they want something smaller or less beefy, replacing the Dragonfly. I still think the DF2 is slightly better, but for some folks it might be a little too small, and the Chaparral is just right.

Now, I could see there being a chance of a different color of FRN, but I don't think they'd do that on the first one, given that one of the goals of the knife is to be more utilitarian. But I could be wrong about that.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Given that the street price of a Delica is about half that of a CF Chaparral, such a knife should be a run-away seller. I certainly could afford one.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I will be glad when this was is released. I have waited for a lesser expensive FRN Chaparral for a long time.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

I love my Raffir Noble but I can't wait to get a FRN to carry.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Ncmiked wrote:I love my Raffir Noble but I can't wait to get a FRN to carry.
From what I can tell on the internet videos, the scales are quite beautiful. It appears the surface is very glossy and clear. Is it slick, or does it have some degree of friction?

Team Innovation
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

MichaelScott wrote:
Ncmiked wrote:I love my Raffir Noble but I can't wait to get a FRN to carry.
From what I can tell on the internet videos, the scales are quite beautiful. It appears the surface is very glossy and clear. Is it slick, or does it have some degree of friction?
Pretty slick. Think bowling ball. Texture of the scales isn't that important thanks to excellent ergos. Looking forward to the FRN version.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
carrot

Post by carrot »

Raffir Noble isn't slippery under normal use. Think about how smooth glass is "slippery", but grips your fingers well when your hands are dry.

On the other hand, wet Raffir Noble is pretty slippery. As thewoodpecker alluded to, the design of the knife allows you to grip it comfortably and safely even when wet, but the loss in grip is noticeable when drawing from your pocket.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Raffir Noble’s handle can be quite slippery when wet with water, sweat, oil, etc. Additionally, the handle’s surface is very prone to scratches. Beautiful piece with no two handles exactly the same. Perhaps best carried in a pouche.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

The issue I have with the RN version is that unless you're purchasing it in person, it's a crapshoot as to whether or not you'll get scale patterns that appeal to you.

I sold mine because of the undesirable looks that particular scale had.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Do we have any idea what the pattern will be on the FRN? I love the bi-directional texturing but on a gents folder like this I wouldn't mind something smoother, say something like the Centofante 3 or even the Urban/Pingo/Spy-DK.
Nate

Post by Nate »

T_MAC686 wrote:Do we have any idea what the pattern will be on the FRN? I love the bi-directional texturing but on a gents folder like this I wouldn't mind something smoother, say something like the Centofante 3 or even the Urban/Pingo/Spy-DK.
Afiak, this still from the Shot show vid is the only clue:
T_MAC686 wrote:Image

Still haven't seen anything on this- tried my best to get a clear photo but it is still a little blurry.
No idea if that's what we'll see or just what's on the proto... Agree that the "grid" pattern on the slippies is hard to beat, but that appears to be something new? :cool:
Last edited by Nate on Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder:
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

T_MAC686 wrote:Do we have any idea what the pattern will be on the FRN? I love the bi-directional texturing but on a gents folder like this I wouldn't mind something smoother, say something like the Centofante 3 or even the Urban/Pingo/Spy-DK.
In the video it looked like a lot of texture on the prototype if I remember correctly. I do like the idea of using a texture like the Urban.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Assuming everything has been finalized, I guess I don't understand all the secrecy behind releasing the specs, etc. One can only assume, the final product has not yet been decided, which mean there's a better chance of Hillary getting elected in 2020, than there is us seeing a released FRN/Lightweight in 2017.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

abbazaba wrote:I do like the idea of using a texture like the Urban.
Nate wrote:Agree that the "grid" pattern on the slippies is hard to beat
I totally agree, the grid pattern on my Urban provides just the right amount of grip without being too overbearing for light tasks. I’m sure we will be happy with whatever Spyderco chooses but I’m getting anxious for details!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

this_is_nascar wrote:Assuming everything has been finalized, I guess I don't understand all the secrecy behind releasing the specs, etc. One can only assume, the final product has not yet been decided, which mean there's a better chance of Hillary getting elected in 2020, than there is us seeing a released FRN/Lightweight in 2017.
Have a little patience dude!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I wouldn’t be surprised if the FRN on the Chaparral looks like the one on the upcoming Squarehead FRN.

thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

RamZar wrote:I wouldn’t be surprised if the FRN on the Chaparral looks like the one on the upcoming Squarehead FRN.
It is my hope and belief (on what I've seen and read) that it will not be Bi-Directional FRN. The Urban/UKPK texture makes seems like a better candidate assuming it isn't a totally new pattern of FRN.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.