Original Spyderco Knife: questions about it.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Original Spyderco Knife: questions about it.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If you will look at the Spyderco main page and click on the "About Us" you will find this picture of the original Spyderco knife:

http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/about-us/

That is actually a beautiful and well-designed knife, even with all the newer ones up until now.

I have some questions for Sal or anyone on here about it:

1 What was the original blade steel used on that model, and was the handle stainless steel or aluminum?
2 Is it possible to have one of these made, to those original specifications, at some point? Like, would there ever be a sprint run like some knife companies have done, a sort-of "Spyderco Anniversary Knife", similar to what was done some years back with the Spyderco Worker?

3 I really like how the blade shape and structure is both straight at the top and somewhat of a drop point, and had both the nail nick (if I am looking at it correctly) and the original opening-hole feature. The best of both worlds.
Do the rest of you consider that a very good blade shape for your uses, if Spyderco were ever to produce/reproduce an exact duplicate of these for a sprint run? The blade also appears to blend a flat grind and a saber grind, perhaps a flat saber grind?

VERY cool knife! :)
awa54

Re: Original Spyderco Knife: questions about it.

Post by awa54 »

Looks to me like the hump on the spine where the proto-Spyderhole was drilled is a chunk of sheet stock welded to the top of an existing conventional blade.

It would be interesting to hear the history of that knife from Sal!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The knife is a Basic Tools made in Japan using 440C...
Sal can confirm or deny...

I have a few models from the 70s and 80s ... :)
Stuart Ackerman

The handle was stainless as well.
But I doubt it was 440C...
Babalu32

Post by Babalu32 »

Cool. Looks like a screw in the steel they used up by the hole. Im waiting on the hap40 version :)
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

In the Spyderco Factory Tour Blade HQ video on YouTube, Eric Glesser shows that knife and says it was the first prototype for what would become the C01 Worker in 1981. He says that Sal took parts from a Spyderco Portable Hand and welded the on top of the blade to make the hump then drilled out the round hole. So I've always considered that knife to be a Worker prototype.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
camporama

Post by camporama »

IIRC, it was featured on Blade HQ's spyderco shop tour and was shown off by Eric. Definitely a very cool piece of spyderco history.
Stuart Ackerman

Hopefully Sal or Eric will respond to the origins? :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It seems like I vaguely remember many years ago Spyderco had a short collaboration with Timberline. And if my memory serves me well that knife looks vaguely like one of those collaborations. Also if I remember correctly those Spyderco/Timberline units had a diamond shaped Spyder-Hole??
sal

Post by sal »

In the summer of 1980, I was working about 12 hours per day. We had very few crew. Building sharpeners and running a business by day (when not travelling) and doing office work at night (accounts payable, payroll, receivables, etc.) Gail was pregnant with Eric, she only worked 8 hours per day.

I had learned to open knives one handed when young and felt it was a valuable skill. I thought it was be an interesting feature to build into a folder. I began by adding appendages to the blade (discs, studs, bumps, etc.) but decided they were in the way of cutting and sharpening so I thought to try removing from the blade. I tried roughing up the blade and finally decided that a dent in the blade with an edge that could "catch" the fleshy part of the thumb might work. I took an inexpensive production folder that we had in the store at the time. I didn't think there was enough of the blade sticking out from the handle to use as is, so I cut a piece of drill rod into a small piece, welded it on to the spine (silver solder), ground it flat with a grinder and drilled it with a hand drill to test out the theory. It was rough, but worked well enough to prove out the concept. Then we went to designing and making custom prototypes. We applied for patents The first model was the Worker model which was introduced in October of 1981 at the Texas State Fair.

Hope that helps.

sal
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

And on to be the best knives in the world.
You just cannot beat a Spyderco. Opening with the thumb or the Spydie flick. So easy, so awesome!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

What an awesome story. Thank you Sal!
Josh
bob7

Post by bob7 »

Thanks for the story, Sal.