Hanan & Sliver Compression Lock Flippers

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Hanan & Sliver Compression Lock Flippers

Post by RamZar »

The Spyderco Hanan & Sliver Compression Lock Flippers are two exciting upcoming folders from Taichung.

Anyone have specs on these specially blade length?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
hoimin

Re: Hanan & Sliver Compression Lock Flippers

Post by hoimin »

So I did a screenshot comparison.

- In an image editor, I layered the three images to line up the Spyderco logo on the mat to ensure equal size. Fortunately the camera angle was consistent even if the framing was different per shot.
- Lined them up and counted pixels: Overall, Handle. Used math for the blade length.
- Compared the numbers to Chaparral's mm measurements on the website and averaged them for a pixel-to-mm mulitplier

So take these with a grain of salt as they're just dirty approximations.

Sliver (This one is curved)
OAL: 8.07" (205 mm)
Handle: 4.73" (120 mm)
Blade: 3.34" (85 mm) -- probably more like 3.5" blade

Hanan (I might not have angled this one 100%)
OAL: 6.80" (173 mm)
Handle: 3.85" (98 mm)
Blade: 2.95" (75 mm)
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I'm guessing the Hanan will have similar specs to the Positron and the Sliver is along the lines of the Caly3.5 in size.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Wow. Now that's dedication. Much respect.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Yup. Thanks for the size comparison.
That Hanan looks way cool.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

My pleasure. These two are of interest to me, so I was going to do it eventually anyway.

I've been waiting for the mini-Hanan since late-2015 when Brad posted something conspicuously like a comp lock flipper for a SpyderCollab. Did not expect it this fast.

Here's the custom:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBOPkTzB6s7/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAqrpQoB6s_/

And here is what I believe was the original prototype submitted:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAlFU3DB6nT/
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Are these S30V also?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Thank you Holmin for the blade length estimates.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Bodog wrote:Are these S30V also?
Both are S30V.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Sigh. Would've preferred just about anything else. The hanan is still tempting. Wish they'd have used 204P.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
videorecipes

Post by videorecipes »

my question: teflon washers in the sliver? we'll see if they learned from the ouroboros.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

hoimin wrote: Sliver (This one is curved)

Just curious, on the blade length are you going by the beginning of the edge at the tang or from the further point outward of the handle? Looks like this one could technically have more cutting edge than blade length depending on how it's measured.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Evil D wrote:
hoimin wrote: Sliver (This one is curved)

Just curious, on the blade length are you going by the beginning of the edge at the tang or from the further point outward of the handle? Looks like this one could technically have more cutting edge than blade length depending on how it's measured.
Honestly, I did not measure the blade because it is so confusing how I'm supposed to do it.

So I did the Blade = OAL - Handle, which lines up with furthest point of the handle to tip.
What I probably did not account for properly was the angle of the blades relative to the handles, hence my followup estimates being around 3.5" and 3" respectively.
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Sliver has my attention. Pretty interesting design. Ergos look good and I like how pointy the blade shape is.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

videorecipes wrote:my question: teflon washers in the sliver? we'll see if they learned from the ouroboros.
It's a Taichung model, unlike the Ouro or Junior, and my impression is that Teflon is a Japanese G10 or Italian phenomenon. Also, to the best of my knowledge, Spyderco has never dropped a Teflon flipper. Heck, I think Hinderer's the only maker to try that. So, cautiously optimistic.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
videorecipes

Post by videorecipes »

NickShabazz wrote:
videorecipes wrote:my question: teflon washers in the sliver? we'll see if they learned from the ouroboros.
It's a Taichung model, unlike the Ouro or Junior, and my impression is that Teflon is a Japanese G10 or Italian phenomenon. Also, to the best of my knowledge, Spyderco has never dropped a Teflon flipper. Heck, I think Hinderer's the only maker to try that. So, cautiously optimistic.
that's encouraging! it was your sacrificial lamb experience of the ouroboros that changed my mind on purchasing the knife -- looking forward to more news on this one.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Howdy everyone, and thanks for the portion of compression-lock flipper love that's been directed at the Sliver. I wish I could share more details and thoughts on the design, but want to wait till I have some time with a production sample. (I wouldn't want to be giving out any details that aren't consistent with what will be available for purchase.)

But, I will say this, hoimin's dimensional estimates are pretty spot on for the Sliver, I was working towards a 3 1/3" blade length.

Thanks again for the enthusiasm for the Sliver, and I'll be back with more info when I can,
- Paul Alexander
Last edited by paulwa on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Come on Paul. Throw us a bone. It looks great. Was this an evolution of the ouroboros?
Did the design start just after? Was it by request or a crazy idea after a beer or three?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

paulwa wrote:Howdy everyone, and thanks for the portion of compression-lock flipper love that's been directed at the Sliver. I wish I could share more details and thoughts on the design, but want to wait till I have some time with a production sample. (I wouldn't want to be giving out any details that aren't consistent with what will be available for purchase.)

But, I will say this, hoiman's dimensional estimates are pretty spot on for the Sliver, I was working towards a 3 1/3" blade length.

Thanks again for the enthusiasm for the Sliver, and I'll be back with more info when I can,
- Paul Alexander

Paul I'm extremely impressed and I haven't even held one yet. You and I must have very similar taste in knives.

It isn't often that a folder is as beautiful closed as it is open. I love the tear drop shape it has when closed. Do you have pics of a custom that you based this off of or is it just based on a rendering/idea?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Evil D wrote:Do you have pics of a custom that you based this off of or is it just based on a rendering/idea?
I wish I had the skill/equipment/time to crank out a few customs, but I prototype all my submissions to Spyderco as best as I'm able. Everything gets fully 3D modeled in a CAD package. I do a lot of design refinement virtually, iterating and branching variants off the base concept. After letting things breathe for a bit, I pick my favorite version and finalize it. The physical prototypes end up consisting of real knife hardware bought from online knifemaking supply shops with the blade, handles, liners, etc. 3D printed out of plastic by a rapid prototyping service. Then I assemble and finish everything. I'm getting pretty good at it, though; one of the last flipper submissions I made had real bearings and actually flipped smoothly and locked up solidly. Maybe I can dig up pics of the old Sliver prototype I sent to Spyderco for the later design discussion thread I'll start.

And I'm an avid reader of and listener to these forums... so don't be surprised if some of what's discussed here trickles into my designs.

Thanks to everyone for the enthusiasm,
- Paul