Spydiechef works on some Yellowfin Tuna

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Spydiechef works on some Yellowfin Tuna

Post by Surfingringo »

I got into some small Yellowfin today and gave the Spydiechef a good workout gill and tail cutting to bleed em and get that good sashimi! Sorry I didn't adjust the camera to show more of the actual cuts I make but you get the idea. Once the dirty work was done it also got some work in the kitchen cleaning up the fillets and cutting out bloodlines Good eats tonight boys!

curlyhairedboy

Re: Spydiechef works on some Yellowfin Tuna

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Nice shots! Now that the Caribbean has been revealed, do you think it'll work better?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

That's a nice looking fish Lance, thanks for the action shots.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

curlyhairedboy wrote:Nice shots! Now that the Caribbean has been revealed, do you think it'll work better?
The Caribbean will probably be a bit better suited to this type of work and won't need the regrind that the Spydiechef required to make it functional as a fishing knife.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

SE or PE Caribbean, Lance?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I will likely go with pe. The main reason I use se in the salts is the improved edge retention in H1. I like the way pe lc200n performs.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Ok, let's get to the important stuff, besides the sashimi what else is on the menu?
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Surfing Gringo is, pound for pound, the coolest dude on this site. This seals it.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

That is cool. You need your own fishing show.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Nice catch, Lance. What a nice way to live. Always enjoy your pictures.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

You're a machine! :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Sweet catch Lance. Water temp here makes skiing more tempting than spearfishing at the moment..
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Horizon wrote:Surfing Gringo is, pound for pound, the coolest dude on this site. This seals it.
Amen to that ! :cool: Man, I am so tempted to get a Spydiechef myself :eek:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Thanks boys. I don't know about the "cool" part but I know I'm lucky and I know I'm blessed. Of that there is no doubt. In the interest of staying lucky I try to do my best to stay out of my own way. I spent the first 30 years of my life practicing a very poor way of living that didn't work very well at all. The good thing about that is I am now well educated in what DOESN'T work. These days, when in doubt, I just try to the opposite of what I once would have done. I keep doing that and everything keeps working out just dandy. ;p

Anyway, back to knives haha. That little Spydiechef is a great design. Probably one of the smartest new designs of 2016 I reckon. It is actually pretty good at what it proposes itself to be (despite its diminutive size) but I would like to see something more like a 4.5" model. I would imagine that Mr. Slysz elected to keep the blade length at 3.5" on this one so that it would have appeal as an edc rather than just a folding kitchen knife (I'm sure despite a few of us wanting one that would be a pretty small market). The result is a knife that is capable of some light food prep as long as you don't need a long blade. The handle is my favorite of any of his designs yet. Even though I wasn't a fan of the kind of "sheepsfoot" tip on the stock version, I find the edge angle and profile very useful for most cutting tasks. As for as the lack of a tip? Meh, that's easy enough to fix if that's what you're looking for.

mb1

Post by mb1 »

Nice catch! Plucking your own sushi from the ocean has to be very satisfying. That's as fresh as it gets!
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Did you keep the initial edge lenght when you reprofiled Lance ?

Marius
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

elena86 wrote:Did you keep the initial edge lenght when you reprofiled Lance ?

Marius
I did. the edge is untouched
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Surfingringo wrote: ... I would like to see something more like a 4.5" model. ...
i feel you mr. gringo, i was wondering if spyderco can somehow cook up something like this in lc200n:

https://youtu.be/g7DfgoCmXIQ&t=4s
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Surfingringo wrote:Thanks boys. I don't know about the "cool" part but I know I'm lucky and I know I'm blessed. Of that there is no doubt. In the interest of staying lucky I try to do my best to stay out of my own way. I spent the first 30 years of my life practicing a very poor way of living that didn't work very well at all. The good thing about that is I am now well educated in what DOESN'T work. These days, when in doubt, I just try to the opposite of what I once would have done. I keep doing that and everything keeps working out just dandy. ;p
This is very helpful to me, personally.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Dang Lance, you sure do spoil all us with these threads you do! Nice work and a big thank you buddy! :D