Caly Hap40 Sprint in Forest Green

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bugs

Caly Hap40 Sprint in Forest Green

Post by Bugs »

Definitely on the to buy list. Any idea of the time frame for release?
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
Art_vandeley

Re: Caly Hap40 Sprint in Forest Green

Post by Art_vandeley »

I got a dealer that lists March as release date.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Woooohoo! my inner pessimist was expecting this one in December of 2017
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
vivi

Post by vivi »

What is HAP40 comparable to? I've tried the Caly 3 in VG10 and ZDP189 so far, really liked the ZDP189 version.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Vivi wrote:What is HAP40 comparable to? I've tried the Caly 3 in VG10 and ZDP189 so far, really liked the ZDP189 version.
It's not as hard and chippy as ZDP-189, non-stainless, easy to sharpen, takes a great edge and keeps it very well. I'm not sure what steels to which it is directly comparable, but I really like it.
Bugs wrote:Definitely on the to buy list. Any idea of the time frame for release?
Same. I'm definitely buying this one when it's out. I'm hoping it's soon.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
attila

Post by attila »

Vivi wrote:What is HAP40 comparable to? I've tried the Caly 3 in VG10 and ZDP189 so far, really liked the ZDP189 version.
HAP40 is a high speed steel, analogous to M3:2 with added cobalt.

In the knife world, CPM M4 is the closest thing to it, with CPM M4 having zero cobalt and a bit better edge retention. That makes it likely about the same as CPM 4V, but that's only a theory of mine. It's near but slightly below ZDP in edge retention on cardboard according to one test of YouTube steel reviewer Michael Christy.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
jdw

Post by jdw »

Art_vandeley wrote:I got a dealer that lists March as release date.
I have heard of a similar release date for the Police 4. I am new to following all of
this. Would they drop two models with such high demand at the same time?
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

attila wrote:
HAP40 is a high speed steel, analogous to M3:2 with added cobalt.

In the knife world, CPM M4 is the closest thing to it, with CPM M4 having zero cobalt and a bit better edge retention. That makes it likely about the same as CPM 4V, but that's only a theory of mine. It's near but slightly below ZDP in edge retention on cardboard according to one test of YouTube steel reviewer Michael Christy.
That's been my experience. And it definitely seems easier to sharpen than ZDP. And while HAP40 isn't technically stainless, mine haven't had any corrosion, rust, or even patina.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Number one on my list this year.

Yes out of all the new stuff shown.

Early preordered :cool:
vivi

Post by vivi »

dplafoll wrote:
It's not as hard and chippy as ZDP-189, non-stainless, easy to sharpen, takes a great edge and keeps it very well. I'm not sure what steels to which it is directly comparable, but I really like it.
Bugs wrote:Definitely on the to buy list. Any idea of the time frame for release?
Non-stainless? Well that's a deal breaker.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Vivi wrote:
dplafoll wrote:
Non-stainless? Well that's a deal breaker.
It shouldn't be, with this steel. I have 3 knives with it and have had zero problems. I live in the American South, so it's not exactly dry here. YMMV of course if you live near a coast etc.
Do you have any ZDP-189?
Patrick LaFollette
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have ZDP but haven't carried it in a while. I've rusted VG10, S30V, 8Cr13MoV etc. I typically EDC H1 or DLC blades. Uncoated stainless is something I'm already a little hesitant to purchase, much less non-stainless.
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

I reside in the hot and humid capital of SW Florida and I've had no issue with HAP40.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

I've been bummed since they cancelled the basic caly, can't wait for this sprint. Have not had a chance to try Hap 40 yet, but this is as good a reason as any. Looking forward to giving this one a try, def top of the list from the 2017 lineup for me.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Top of my list for 2017. Hope I'm fortunate enough to be able to grab one!
Josh
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

murphjd25 wrote:Top of my list for 2017. Hope I'm fortunate enough to be able to grab one!
I've been wanting a Caly 3 for a while now so it's on top of my list for this year too. Unfortunately, I'm sure it's at the top of the list for a lot of people. So it's gonna be a mad dash for these. I think I got on KC's pre-order list fairly early but I'm not sure it was early enough.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:Top of my list for 2017. Hope I'm fortunate enough to be able to grab one!
I've been wanting a Caly 3 for a while now so it's on top of my list for this year too. Unfortunately, I'm sure it's at the top of the list for a lot of people. So it's gonna be a mad dash for these. I think I got on KC's pre-order list fairly early but I'm not sure it was early enough.
I'm gonna throw a dash of salt over my shoulder and say a prayer and hope I get one as soon as they come out. I was going to pre-order one but I'm probably way to late and I haven't heard good things about pre ordering anyways, unless your early enough. I'm pretty good at checking sites daily now a days lol
Josh
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
I'm gonna throw a dash of salt over my shoulder and say a prayer and hope I get one as soon as they come out. I was going to pre-order one but I'm probably way to late and I haven't heard good things about pre ordering anyways, unless your early enough. I'm pretty good at checking sites daily now a days lol
Knock on wood...I've had good luck with pre-ordering from a few different sites but I've always managed to get in fairly early. If it's too late for a high-demand item I wouldn't bother. Even with the pre-order you can bet I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for this one.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Knock on wood...I've had good luck with pre-ordering from a few different sites but I've always managed to get in fairly early. If it's too late for a high-demand item I wouldn't bother. Even with the pre-order you can bet I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for this one.
So your saying there's a chance? I might just put in a pre order then..
Josh
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
So your saying there's a chance? I might just put in a pre order then..
No, I'm saying that for an high-demand sprint like this I wouldn't bother with the pre-order at this point. I think KC's the only one doing a pre-order and it started a long time ago. I don't think they'll get enough knives to cover their list. Now if another dealer opens up a pre-order and you can get in early then you stand a chance. Still I think you might be better off just waiting for them to start dropping at the dealers and be quick with the CC when you find one in stock.