Delica 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
roninair

Delica 5

Post by roninair »

Well Sal I had a thought the other day while sitting here playing with my new Para 3 ,what would a Delica look like in G-10 ,I know been there done that ,but with a Spyderco compression lock thrown in ,like I said a thought, just to let you know my Para 3 keeps jumping out of my pocket looking for something,anything to cut ,but sadly sometimes slides back into my pocket hungry for work.
Horizon

Re: Delica 5

Post by Horizon »

Wish the handle on the next delica could extend another .25 inch. That would be awesome.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I think it would look a lot like a P3. Too much, really. Changing the lock pretty much requires redesigning the entire knife. It wouldn't be a Delica, it wouldn't be a P3, it'd be something new fitting in this very narrow gap between the D4 and P3. I think it would be hard to justify such a move, and personally, I wouldn't have a need for it.

What I do have a need for is a D4 in G10. A burning need. Blue G10, to be specific. I really hope that project is still chugging along!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

but with a Spyderco compression lock thrown in
I like the compression lock but I'm not going to give up on lockback models any time soon for anything except more lockbacks. :)

Joe
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Yojimbo, Para3 and Sage5 seem to cover the 3" folders with comp locks pretty well. I love the comp lock too but the back lock still offers some things that the comp lock doesn't. The Backlock is ambidextrous and has a strong bias towards closing as far as the detent is concerned. I like backlocks. With the Delica being a big time seller for Spyderco, especially with the general public, it would seem as though keeping it ambidextrous is adventagous. I like the idea of a comp lock Delica as I am a big fan of both the Delica and the comp lock but I am just trying to see if it is practical or not.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I'm more looking forward to the comp lock manix- the caribbean
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
harronek

Post by harronek »

Why do people always want to change things that work and have stood the test of time ?
Changing something that has shown itself to be problematic , unsafe , unviable , unattractive , unprofitible are all reasons to change a design .
The Delica sits at the other end of the spectrum from any of those concerns .
Leave it alone , and it will still be one of , if not the biggest seller Spyderco produces for years to come .

Ken
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I agree with Darby here. Although I love the compression lock, I think using one on a Delica is too far to go. It wouldn't feel like a Delica anymore. The back lock is fully ambidextrous, has strong closing bias, is reasonably affordable to manufacture, and is simple in design. Maybe another lock will replace it some day, and I'd be okay so long as that list of virtues were maintained. That's a tall order.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

harronek wrote:Why do people always want to change things that work and have stood the test of time ?
Changing something that has shown itself to be problematic , unsafe , unviable , unattractive , unprofitible are all reasons to change a design .
The Delica sits at the other end of the spectrum from any of those concerns .
Leave it alone , and it will still be one of , if not the biggest seller Spyderco produces for years to come .

Ken
Word. Just get a Para 3. And please don't even say the Delica needs a choil.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm all for new models but I like the Delica just the way it is!

PayneTrain wrote:What I do have a need for is a D4 in G10. A burning need. Blue G10, to be specific. I really hope that project is still chugging along!
Sounds good to me!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I know there are obvious differences but I sort of consider the para3 to be a g10 delica with a compression lock already. It's why I was super stoked when they announced it. I'm with the others though, the Delica 4 is darn near perfect the way it is :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Like many others, the only thing I am missing from the current Delica is a model readily available in G10.
knifeneasy

Post by knifeneasy »

Although I like the compression lock I would not want a Delica without a back lock. Pursuing lock refinement like in the Native would be interesting but if that remained a USA made feature I'd be just fine with that too.
Parkourdude

Post by Parkourdude »

The Delica is just fine the way it is now imo.

I prefer it to be a lockback(I like the 'detent' on lockbacks').

If anything I wish the delica had a slightly longer blade around 3.5 inches. Or if the Endura at a 3.5 inch blade.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Another passenger on the "leave it alone, save for G10 scales" train here :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I'm going to guess that from Spyderco's perspective this is a mid-priced best seller to the masses (rather than most affi's) and it ain't broke so it don't need fixing.

I like Delicas but I did prefer how the handle of the D3 / Salt 1 "fits" my hand better than the D4 and it's the positioning of these :

The Endura 4 works better for me as that front scallop is just a tad bigger and I can get two fingers in there more comfortably but it still isn't ideal. Personally, I'd put a Worker shaped handle on the Delica. Everybody's hands and fingers are different - I'd make the handle as finger position / grip as flexible as possible to cater for as many hand shapes and sizes as possible more comfortably.
Ocarr

Post by Ocarr »

A pair of Wilkins grips would fix you right up PSquared.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

[quote="Ocarr"]A pair of Wilkins grips would fix you right up PSquared.

:) Got a set of alu scales from Kevin as well as a set of scales from Cuscadi that modified to get the point off .... those are the two I carry
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

I agree very much with the others: The Para3 is the G10, comp-lock Delica with a finger choil that many have asked for in the D5. A wonderful case of "Why not both?"

In terms of improvement, I'd love to see some Delica Sprints or Production in American steels, particularly an M4 or Maxamet Delica. Also, an M4 and CF Delica? Be still my beating heart! The Japanese steels are nice, but it's a shame I can't get one of my favorite knives in one of my favorite steels.

And I sure wouldn't mind seeing the Delica production moved to the USA alongside its brother, the Native. The improved fit-and-finish and materials choices would be nice, and, well, made in the USA is itself a beautiful thing.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The current Delica 4 is pretty much my favorite version. I fondly compare it to the 1st version I had with the integral clip. Not really much I'd change, and I love the fact it is very affordable. If the next version gets jacked up in price from fancy steels and locks, or is not to my liking, I will be buying multiple backups.
Last edited by Halfneck on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.