Stretch Mod

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mic1

Stretch Mod

Post by Mic1 »

So I saw this mod on here looking for the mod Gringo did. I dont know if this is the same as Gringo's mod or not but its really cool. I ground it down on an Onion sharpening machine and rounded the spine like on a Sebenza. I think Spyderco should make a stainless version (CTS-204P :) ) of this and call it the "Gringo" if it is his mod.
IMG_2852.JPG
IMG_2853.JPG
IMG_2854.JPG
Tdog

Re: Stretch Mod

Post by Tdog »

Very nice, I tend to like more of a point for most of my tasks as well. The shadow pic really helps to show the shape of the blade. Have always liked the rounded/beveled spine as well. Thanks for sharing. :spyder:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

That's a cool looking mod there mic1. I certainly don't deserve any credit for grinding my stretches down but I do like that particular blade mod better than a regrind into a full trailing point. When you leave that last inch or so of spine towards the tip flat and "in line" with the spine above the hole, it enables you to do "edge up" or "edge out" pushing cuts and the spine will ride along the underlying surface. A trailing point will tend to dig into the underlying material. That's a nice looking mod that adds functionality IMO. Nice work!

btw, I think you got a nicer blend on the curve than I did. Hmmm...might have to take my hap40 back to the grinder. ;)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like that style blade too. I have seen a few Stretches modded to have blades similar to the clip point blade found in the C44 Dyad. I have thought for years that the Stretch could and should come in three blade shapes. A drop point like it already does, a straight spine like the Para2 and a clip point with an upswept tip like the C44 Dyad.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Donut

Post by Donut »

That looks good, nice work.

Thanks for sharing.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Thanks guys! I did not lose even a 1/16" of length. The Onion sharpening / grinding machine works great because you can control the speed and get really close to the blade and change the belts to fine grits. I like this blade shape for most field dressing work from rabbit and birds to deer.

We can still call it the "gringo"
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I like that style blade too. I have seen a few Stretches modded to have blades similar to the clip point blade found in the C44 Dyad. I have thought for years that the Stretch could and should come in three blade shapes. A drop point like it already does, a straight spine like the Para2 and a clip point with an upswept tip like the C44 Dyad.
You know Darby, what I like about the mod like mic's is it gives you most of the functionality of a straight spine but the curve in the middle keeps the blade profile a little narrower. Much like a pm2 with the spine scooped out. I've got a couple of Stretches that I modded like that and I believe I almost prefer the shape to the full straight spine of the pm2. Its a bit more capable for curved cutting (like peeling an apple). Here's a pic that shows how close the two are. I do like how mic blended the hump down a bit more on his...I think I might have to copy him. ;)

Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I have long thought the best hunting knife is a boning, fillet knife or butcher knife profile. But no one besides maybe Phil Wilson really makes a hunting knife that can be rough used for bush crafty type work and do fine butchering and boning work. Really if you do any serious hunting like elk in back county where butchering game, food prep and camp chores all should be able to be done with a belt knife or combo of belt knife, folder, axe or saw combo. In Deer camp the most used knives are pocket knives and fillets knives. Big knives almost never get used. This knife will definitely get used next year and from experience it will field dress, break down and butcher a whole deer no problem.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I was inspired to mod my beater Stretch VG10 yesterday, went at it with a dremel. It's a bit rough and unrefined, but I'm still happy with the result.

http://iob.imgur.com/uYGg/d5jCTfNNWA
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Bdubs808 wrote:I was inspired to mod my beater Stretch VG10 yesterday, went at it with a dremel. It's a bit rough and unrefined, but I'm still happy with the result.

http://iob.imgur.com/uYGg/d5jCTfNNWA

Nice!
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

That's spot on. I need to send you my stretch 2 to do just like that when it comes out.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

When I first saw this is prompted me to do similar for my UKPK, removing most of the hump but leaving the actual tip unchanged ..

---------
Tony S