Blending EDC with Self Defense

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Blending EDC with Self Defense

Post by Evil D »

I think most people over think this topic quite a bit. Somewhere on this forum is a video of meat tests done with a Ladybug and the results are terrifying. I think it's far more important to be able to use whatever you're carrying when it matters than exactly what you're carrying. Of course ideally you want it sharp but one of the worst cuts I've ever had was by a butter knife. If all else fails you can do a lot of damage with a plastic knife if you just aim for the face.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Peacent, aside from the hawkbills and Lil Matriarch, the Pacific Salt I recognize, is the shorter bladed one a Salt-1?
Smaller one is a Salt I indeed. As to the OP, proof that the Pacific Salt would do just fine against flesh of a possible attacker, I cut myself yesterday while sharpening it, and it took just a little contact with the blade, I barely touched it. My EDC became my flesh-eater again! :(

ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SF Native wrote:I wonder if the lil matriarch could handle some edc tasks. It might be what you are looking for.
Small, light, versatile. I don't have one, so I couldn't tell. Maybe someone else could answer.
I don't know how to quote multiple comments so I'll chime in again this way.

Yes the Lil' matriarch is an excellent EDC blade, and the perfect companion for a straighter folder (Military, Endura...).

I can tell first hand that tip is nasty for meaty things

Very easy to carry and unobtrusive, versatile indeed, and it would double as a terrific clothes/flesh slasher if it had to be used that way, for sure.
Gringo convinced me to get one, it's been an eye-opener. I recommend it for sure!

hank_612

Post by hank_612 »

If a military is to heavy, what about an Endura or Stretch.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

hank_612 wrote:If a military is to heavy, what about an Endura or Stretch.
Not at all trying to be disagreeable but I've been EDCing my M390 Military model for quite some time now ( over 6 months straight) and actually I feel quite comfortable carrying it. Now there's no argument that FRN handled folders are just a bit lighter but not enough to sway me away from my C-36 Military model.

Now my all time favorite folder which was primarily designed to be an SD folder is my hallowed C-60 Ayoob, G-10 Sprint model :cool: and truthfully I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it as of yet for SD uses. Because it's designer Massad Ayoob is a firearms expert and a very knowledgeable authority on the subject of "self defense".

From an ergonomic standpoint I actually like my C-60 Ayoob model just a bit better than I do my three Military models. But they are both extremely well made and well designed folders. Personally I just like G-10 much better than I do FRN as far as grip/purchase goes.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Police 3 has a pretty straight cutting edge, at least compared to the Military. Touch more reach too.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Thanks for all the input. I will get my hands on a Yo2 to see if I like the feel of it, the blade shape and using your thumb on the spine looks like it transfers power through the blade better then any other blade type. I may also keep my matriarch 2 wave in the car and put that in my pocket when needed and switch it with whatever I am carrying that day.

I agree it is very unlikely to ever happen, and to avoid any conflict but especially this type of scenario at all costs, but that would be a good time to have the right tool for the job
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I think that while it is a great blade shape in more ways than one, the blade that would be the least-effective in emergency self defense, would be the sheepsfoot blade, such as the Mariner, or Atlantic Salt, or Rescue. However, I could be wrong. If one did not have to do any major piercing or stabbing motions with it, a serrated or sharp plain edge Sheepsfoot could probably be used. It is definitely a great EDC blade for any uses where one does not need a sharp point but only a sharp edge.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Evil D wrote:I think most people over think this topic quite a bit. Somewhere on this forum is a video of meat tests done with a Ladybug and the results are terrifying. I think it's far more important to be able to use whatever you're carrying when it matters than exactly what you're carrying. Of course ideally you want it sharp but one of the worst cuts I've ever had was by a butter knife. If all else fails you can do a lot of damage with a plastic knife if you just aim for the face.
I agree. Joe Pesci with a ballpoint pen anyone?

I picked up a Kbar tactical spork over the holidays. It has a pretty mean plastic serrated knife hidden in the handle. ;)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I just carved up a few rolls of paper towels in the name of science. In a head to head battle between my M4 pm2, s30v Yo2, and hap40 Delica... I am again amazed by the performance of the delica. It punches far above it's weight class, and cuts, slashes, and pokes just about as well as the big boys do;) . I still prefer a g10 handle, a compression lock, and a larger heavier blade for SD than the very thin ffg delica, but man can it get the job done if you needed it to. I also found that I got better slashes out of the PM2 than the Yojimbo 2, but when it came to pushing and draw cutting deep the Yojimbo had the slight advantage.

delica single draw cut
x21.jpg
BTW ZMW, Anagarika listed some great self defense/mbc instructors, if you haven't had any training or seen any MBC videos it can make a world of difference. You should check them out. Janich's MBC videos are a great resource (he designed the Yojimbo). Emerson Combat Systems is a personal favorite of mine.
mb1 wrote:
Evil D wrote:I think most people over think this topic quite a bit. Somewhere on this forum is a video of meat tests done with a Ladybug and the results are terrifying. I think it's far more important to be able to use whatever you're carrying when it matters than exactly what you're carrying. Of course ideally you want it sharp but one of the worst cuts I've ever had was by a butter knife. If all else fails you can do a lot of damage with a plastic knife if you just aim for the face.
I agree. Joe Pesci with a ballpoint pen anyone?

I picked up a Kbar tactical spork over the holidays. It has a pretty mean plastic serrated knife hidden in the handle. ;)
You make an excellent point. Just about anything can be used as a weapon with the right intent. I also agree a small knife can be deadly. You can wreak havoc with something as small as a box cutter if you know what you are doing. It just needs to be sharp.
x.jpg
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I've thought about which of my Spyder folders would I want on me in a situation where I needed to defend myself unexpectedly. The situation that people don't mention much in these kind of threads is being attacked by a dog, or other animal. In my case, living in a rural, low crime state, that is probably a more likely scenario. In my state, there is no permit required for open or concealed carry. I am free to carry a gun, but I normally don't, for various reasons.

The choice I came up with is my Sliverax. I didn't purchase it for this reason, I just loved the design. It wasn't until after I got it, handled it, and thought about it, that I realized, in many ways, it is an updated and improved version of the C60 Massad Ayoob. Features like the negative blade angle, the deep choil that locks it firmly into your hand, the stout, near Wharncliffe, FFG blade, the compression lock, the ease of opening by several different methods, would make it an effective last ditch, SHTF, defensive tool, IMO.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

My recommendation is any model that has a purpose-designed trainer so you can actually train to develop the skills to use it effectively. That narrows the field very quickly. Without the skill to use it, it's all conjecture.

Stay safe,

Mike
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I would do almost anything to avoid using a knife in self defense, including just handing over the money and cards. Now, if it were a "moment of truth" situation and my possible death were imminent I'd put a blade in an iliac artery. And any Spyderco would do ;)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Yojimbo2 is great in that role.

I EDC'd that one for about a month last year and I was really, really surprised at how useful it was for regular chores. It was almost like it was designed to break down cardboard. I've never had to use one (or any knife) in self defense, but as it's designed for that, it should do well in both roles.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I don't have any training in self defense with a knife. Here's how I see things going down in a situation where I am unexpectedly forced to defend myself with a folding knife. Assuming I can get it open, and don't drop it, I'm going to be holding onto it for dear life and stabbing away reflexively. Fine motor control will go out the window, and I will definitely not be making any targeted, planned out moves. Out of the knives in my collection (none of them specifically designed as a defensive tool), IMO, the Sliverax lends itself most to this kind of reflexive stabbing. That's the specific point I'm making.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Endura/Delica wave or a Delica Kahr with ziptie wave are what I carry support side. Grip and rip philosophy. Stabing doesn’t end a confrontation fast enough to survive unless you practice.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

What about expandable batons? Anyone have any experience with those? Legality of course varies state to state.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Does anyone else remember Doc Snubnose and his meat tests? I miss him :(
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Yeah I hope Doc is doing well. Haven't heard from him in forever.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

I like my Autonomy 2 so much, I bought a second one just because. :)