Blending EDC with Self Defense

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BLUETYPEII

Re: Blending EDC with Self Defense

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:29 am
Just got a LNIB Massad Ayoob today. Just like the Gunting, i thought it looked goofy and pointless, until you have it in your hand and the pieces suddenly fit together : )

Where if I may ask where did you find that?!
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Haven’t read the full thread, but if you still want simple EDC and can be quite effective I propose Byrd Hawkbill. Small and light, and cheaper to replace than lil matriarch.
The form factor is quite close to Delica trainer, the hawkbill should be as effective as wharncliffe (referring to MBC) and I have found 8Cr in serrated works well for EDC use except for shaving.

It’s important to have training and readiness in both mindset and footwork/bodywork is key.

A bit dulling won’t be a big issue, it’s not just better than nothing. though.https://youtu.be/eZdwYT2reZk

Edited to add, didn’t realize this was an old thread. Strange that now I EDC a Byrd Hawkbill, therefore my recommendation.
Last edited by anagarika on Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris :spyder:
Carlito86

Post by Carlito86 »

I am carrying a yogimbo 2 for fine work,boxes, and in very last resort sd ( I am also male 32 6.00 so not a very nice prey btw) AND a delica 4 for food prep and (not fine) works.

I mean...self defence Is...cannot be' generalized...the best thing Is a gun if you go real into It.

Lets say that in case you get crowded by bad intentions guys (not really bad guys) seeing you have a knife MIGHT change their willingness to continue/ or you might get shot.

It really depends a lot by the situation: robbery,numbers,gun vs no gun, Life situation, family situation etc...very difficult.
Just to say that There Is not a correct answer into a good edc that Can help in self defence.

I would say that being skilled in hand to hand combat and displaying a good physical shape will 99% of the time avoid the confrontational aspect.

Good mixed use from spyderco are yogi 2,slysz bowie,shaman,and obviously the king para 2. Para 2 probably being the best for mixed: grip lenght shape.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:16 pm
I rarely have fantasy knife fights in my mind but when I do I always use a military. I will occasionally fight a grizzly with one too though I typically have a small fixed blade for heavier work like that.

Yeah Lance, I don't think about it much either. :D

But then I normally carry a Military MOST of the time anyway as my EDC.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Did not read through the whole thread admittedly.

But: Thinking about self defense with a knife: Of course I´d grab a knife in a life or death situation to defend loved ones or myself, just like I´d grab probably ANYTHING that could be used as a weapon.

But question to those of you who are both gun - AND knive-owners (where I live carrying a gun is no option anyway due to laws):

Am I right, that it is probably much harder to overcome the resistance to stab / slash someone with a knife than to shoot him, even if you "just" try to disable and not to kill him ? (or her, though I honestly almost can´t imagine to really attack a WOMAN seriously even if she tries to kill me...) ?

EDIT: Of course I don´t mean that gun- AND knife owners actually DID use one of these; I just assume that owning and training with a gun gives you a better feeling for, if it would be "easyier" to use a gun than a knife in a self defense situation.
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:48 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Just got a LNIB Massad Ayoob today. Just like the Gunting, i thought it looked goofy and pointless, until you have it in your hand and the pieces suddenly fit together : )

CC member 098 had it up for sale :) I have bought some of his collection before and asked if he might have this one as well, and he did!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I'd want an bigger blade, a steel with at least moderate toughness, an extremely strong lock, and extremely ergonomic handle that prevent slip, and a grind that yielded immense strength while also having excellent penetrating potential.

I love the military and the military has a great liner lock. But I'd rather have a great backlock or CBBL than a great liner lock, so I'd give the nod to the Manix XL/Police 4 over the military.

Handle-wise, nothing I have beats my Manix XL. For self defense you'd want something that isn't going to slip out of your hand. As long as I'm not wearing gloves, my grip is absolutely anchored into the handle of the Manix XL. It is a perfect fit and feels great. The Cold Steel Spartan is a great example of a handle like this. On this front the Manix XL is much better than the Military which is better than the Police 4.

The police has an excellent blade, similar to the Military but slightly longer and thinner. The blade on the Manix XL falls short of these models in regard to self defense. Personally I may potentially choose a Tatanka over the Police in a knife fight (and a machete over the Tatanka), but we're blending EDC here. Regardless, I couldn't choose a small blade. Police > military >>> Manix XL

This is tough. Ideally I'd want a knife like the police 4, maybe slightly larger, with a tri-ad lock or other overbuilt lock, and a handle with deeper grooves/choils for keeping grip. I don't think Karambits or other wacky shaped blades specifically designed for self defense make for great EDC'S. And I've never held a Yojimbo.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:53 am
I'd want an bigger blade, a steel with at least moderate toughness, an extremely strong lock, and extremely ergonomic handle that prevent slip, and a grind that yielded immense strength while also having excellent penetrating potential

Those are the qualities I see in the Sliverax, although they may not be be apparent until you handle one and examine it more closely.

Same edge length as an Endura

S30V

Compression lock

Deep choil

3.5 mm thick FFG blade that doesn’t start tapering until closer to the tip
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:47 am

But: Thinking about self defense with a knife: Of course I´d grab a knife in a life or death situation to defend loved ones or myself, just like I´d grab probably ANYTHING that could be used as a weapon.

But question to those of you who are both gun - AND knive-owners (where I live carrying a gun is no option anyway due to laws):

Am I right, that it is probably much harder to overcome the resistance to stab / slash someone with a knife than to shoot him, even if you "just" try to disable and not to kill him ? (or her, though I honestly almost can´t imagine to really attack a WOMAN seriously even if she tries to kill me...) ?

EDIT: Of course I don´t mean that gun- AND knife owners actually DID use one of these; I just assume that owning and training with a gun gives you a better feeling for, if it would be "easyier" to use a gun than a knife in a self defense situation.

I have read that it’s “easier” to shoot than to stab. But this only applies to people who aren’t inclined to do others harm. Using such an argument to limit access to firearms and other defensive weapons (looking at you UK) is bogus, because the sociopaths who are inclined to hurt others aren’t going to be dissuaded by a perception of “ickiness” over stabbing another human; it’s a feature not a bug. The criminal class that simply doesn’t value life won’t hesitate either. Disarming “everyone” only enhances the advantage of the criminal class by preserving disparate force in their favor over the weaker or more vulnerable; because they won’t magically stop behaving criminally no matter how many unicorn farts the lawmakers have been huffing.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

If one is doing something with a Spyder folder that involves forceful thrusting/stabbing for penetration, then the Sliverax is one of the very best choices, IMO.

No, I’m not recommending something stupid like stabbing it into a car door :rolleyes:
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:12 am
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:48 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:

CC member 098 had it up for sale :) I have bought some of his collection before and asked if he might have this one as well, and he did!
Cool deal... that is an interesting knife.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

I don’t carry a knife with SD intent but the Yojimbo is a good utility knife and feels like it can do some serious damage from any angle if I needed it to!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

My reason for carrying a knife is strictly utilitarian the same as any other tool. In response to the question posed here is how I would reply.

Out of all the Spyderco's I own I would hate to get stabbed or sliced by my Hundred Pacer. It looks like a serpents fang to me and the people who see it all exclaim what the heck is that it looks deadly or vicious. So there is certainly an intimidation factor when you see it in person.

That knife is extremely sharp and goes through everything I have put it to use with it like crazy due to the large trailing point and super sharp CTS-XHP Steel, the blade shape goes from a very thin trailing point to the width close to equal to a Chefs knife God help the living flesh it encounters. I pray it is never so.

Here it is sitting with a pair of Spyderco Military one in CRUWEAR the othe in CTS-XHP Steel just for fun. Either of these blade designs would be devastating. Both of these blade designs are incredibly useful and are great to use for everyday chores.

That being said using brain is the best self defense after that well running but if it goes down bad well 9MM Sig Sauer P365, Knife as absolute last resort.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:28 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:47 am

I have read that it’s “easier” to shoot than to stab. But this only applies to people who aren’t inclined to do others harm. Using such an argument to limit access to firearms and other defensive weapons (looking at you UK) is bogus, because the sociopaths who are inclined to hurt others aren’t going to be dissuaded by a perception of “ickiness” over stabbing another human; it’s a feature not a bug. The criminal class that simply doesn’t value life won’t hesitate either. Disarming “everyone” only enhances the advantage of the criminal class by preserving disparate force in their favor over the weaker or more vulnerable; because they won’t magically stop behaving criminally no matter how many unicorn farts the lawmakers have been huffing.
Thanks for your thoughts on this! I don´t feel entitled to talk about firearms, cause I just never thougth about it. Where I live, no one carries one, just don´t have a real opinion on it.
But when it comes to knives I am totally with you! I live in Austria, a small country in Europe with fortunately very liberal knife-laws. I basically can carry what ever I want. Austria is really sourrounded by countries with very much stricter laws. Germany for example begins about 2 kilometers from where I live, when I cross the boarder literally NO knife I carry in "my" country is legal anymore (Germany has the crazy law, that a knife you carry may have a locking mechanism OR feature one handed opening, not both at the same time. No matter how short the blade is. So even a Mini-version of the Dragonfly would be illegal...)
Now in the last month in Austria sadly several homicides done with knives occured. And of course the goverment begins to talk about maybe they should make the knife-laws stricter... just crazy! A guy who does not care for laws to an extend where he will murder another person will NEVER care for a law that forbids carrying a knife. It´s so obvious. The outcome would be, that people who follow laws and rules will not be able to fully enjoy a beautiful hobby. The real dangerous guys will carry some cheap blade and do what they want anyway.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

That is why we do not roll over for stupid anti gun and knife laws in the U.S. the places here with highest rates of crime using firearms have the most restrictive laws.

When you prevent the law abiding from having access to tools and self defense weapons only those who are going to ignore the law will have and use them.

Where I live people conceal carry and the idea of breaking into someone’s home is not so smart with stand your ground laws and armed residents.
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

One knife dedicated to self defense. One knife for utility that could be used for self-defense. Each hand with access to one of them.

The longer the blade the harder to open in CQ and the less leverage for slashing. No serrations and no belly. Both will negate of the ability to slash. Due to compression 1/2 inch or so longer blade really isn't going to give you much more penetration...with a penalty of carrying a much larger less sheeple friendly knife. Sharp sharp sharp.

if you're in a high-value Target and it is attacked it won't be attacked with sticks knives or fists. So sticks knives or fists won't be able to defend it.

Depending where you are at or what state you are in carrying a gun where not supposed to has no effect on whether the weapon was used lawfully in self-defense.

Without kids it's easy.... a good set of sneakers that are tied on tight so you can run.....with kids It can be easy also.... don't go to places that are high value targets..... Hope is not a plan..... Stay safe brother.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Compression reminds me of Bayonet training now we always had to kick the target and yank the rifle to get the blade back out. Oh poor Ivan the tire dummy he didn’t stand a chance.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

ZMW wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:23 pm
For clarification on my request. I am referring to a scenario when CCW is not allowed (schools mainly) and when I am with my family, that means a 1 yr old and 4 yr old, so running away is hopefully an option but it may not be. I do have 5-6 years of martial arts training (BJJ and some boxing), but not edged weapon training. I do want to take a few classes just to review some basics.

My family and I go to a Jewish Community Center, and lets just say our facility is a higher value target then your average school or public place. No firearms allowed. In the event of a sh*t hit the fan scenario and I need to protect myself, family, and community, I was curious what would be best in your guys opinions.

Thank you all
No, you use a pepper spray because the last thing you want is the bad guy having a knife too and going for your loved ones with it, or best case scenario you both gore yourselves up. I have seen a couple of knife fight aftermath situations over the years, NOBODY WON. It's kinda disconcerting that you would even believe that you'd be in an advantageous situation using a knife for self defence. Is having your adversary on the ground screaming and rubbing his eyes after a quick spray too easy and not manly enough compared to pulling up a knife? To many action movies do this, think again. Handguns, a good brand of pepper spray and your mind and training are the only things that will save you.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

emanuel wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:10 am
ZMW wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:23 pm
For clarification on my request. I am referring to a scenario when CCW is not allowed (schools mainly) and when I am with my family, that means a 1 yr old and 4 yr old, so running away is hopefully an option but it may not be. I do have 5-6 years of martial arts training (BJJ and some boxing), but not edged weapon training. I do want to take a few classes just to review some basics.

My family and I go to a Jewish Community Center, and lets just say our facility is a higher value target then your average school or public place. No firearms allowed. In the event of a sh*t hit the fan scenario and I need to protect myself, family, and community, I was curious what would be best in your guys opinions.

Thank you all
No, you use a pepper spray because the last thing you want is the bad guy having a knife too and going for your loved ones with it, or best case scenario you both gore yourselves up. I have seen a couple of knife fight aftermath situations over the years, NOBODY WON. It's kinda disconcerting that you would even believe that you'd be in an advantageous situation using a knife for self defence. Is having your adversary on the ground screaming and rubbing his eyes after a quick spray too easy and not manly enough compared to pulling up a knife? To many action movies do this, think again. Handguns, a good brand of pepper spray and your mind and training are the only things that will save you.
If my opponent had a knife and I didn't, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's likely in an advantageous position.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Reference_Sensor

Post by Reference_Sensor »

I've carried one flavor of Endura or another for this very purpose over the years, and don't feel like I would be at any disadvantage thereby. I recently ordered an Amalgam that I will be carrying as part of my layered defensive equipment here in Afghanistan, but I don't anticipate every getting to the point of using it as a defensive tool (and I hope the heck I don't ever have to!)

On the subject of wish lists, though, I would absolutely love to see a Zome Green Endura Sprint with a flat ground black DLC blade!
"let a man never stir a step on the road without his weapons of war, for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise of a spear on the way without." Havamal, verse 38