Do I need a dragonfly 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aesmith

Re: Do I need a dragonfly 2?

Post by aesmith »

I have the HAP40, just dithering about whether to convert to a slip joint for EDC use.
---------
Tony S
mb1

Post by mb1 »

The answer is always yes!

I recently removed the clip from mine and enjoy it even more. I carry it to work and need to remain stealth, so now it is super slim along with its already feathery weight. Small change, but it so fits this knife.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
laylow

Post by laylow »

Obviously.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

mb1 wrote:The answer is always yes!

I recently removed the clip from mine and enjoy it even more. I carry it to work and need to remain stealth, so now it is super slim along with its already feathery weight. Small change, but it so fits this knife.
Removing the clip is the only way to go, as far as I am concerned. Now, where is that blue one?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Even with the clip, it's still thin, if you just drop it in your pocket.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Or you could try an Urban ....
Still Working

Post by Still Working »

The question should be...Do I need only one Dragonfly 2? (I have ZDP-189 and H1 serrated, so answer is yes) Awesome pocket and people friendly knife that will tackle lots of chores.
s110v "Blurple" Knives: PM 2, Manix 2, Native 5
ZDP-189 Knives: BRG Dragonfly 2, BRG Stretch FRN, Brn G10 Stretch 2, BRG Ladybug,
BRG Manbug
VG-10 Knives: Gray Delica, Brown Endura, Foliage Green Endura combo blade,
Black FRN Stretch, Purple Delica, Black FRN serrated Stretch, Black FRN CE Stretch
H1 Knives: Dragonfly 2
Damascus DPS 15 VG-10 Knives: Titanium Damascus Delica
M4 Knives: Bradley Folder 2
Deep Carry Clips: Casey Lynch, 5 short, 4 long
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

Little, practical light knives like the DF are the ones most people find comfortable to actually carry. The DF is a pleasure.
harronek

Post by harronek »

I'm far from a " Big Knife " guy , but the DF just isnt quite big enough for me .
I moved up one size and found the Delica which is much more usable without giving away much in weight or portability.
I still have my DF2 but cant remember the last time i carried it for a day .
Dont get me wrong the DF is one heck of a good knife in a little package , and its capable of performing 95% of the tasks I'm confronted with but the Delica does all of those easily , and it does the other 5% as well .

Ken
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Evil D wrote: Image
I got a kick out of the size comparison :p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Post by vivi »

The ergonomics never did it for me. There isn't enough handle for my middle finger and ring finger to grip as securely as I had hoped.

For a similar size the UKPK worked a lot better for me. Smaller and I really enjoyed the Spin. Both of those knives have ergonomics that fit my hand better than Dragonflys.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Evil D wrote: Image
I got a kick out of the size comparison :p
Lol you got little hands
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

In collecting knives, I've pretty much focused on Spyderco knives. And when I started, I decided not to get any duplicates of the same knife design (excepting the Chaparral, Sage, Manix/Manix Xl, etc). My first one, the one that got me hooked on knives, and Spyderco, and was a huge part of getting me interested in EDC in general, was a Dragonfly 2 in ZDP-189. I bought it for a birthday, then carried it exclusively for a year before I bought a Chaparral and went from there. But for Xmas '15, my wife bought me the HAP40 Delica. And I was really, really impressed by the steel. It gets very sharp, keeps the edge very well, and is easier to sharpen than ZDP and probably the XHP knives I'd gotten by then. I had some gift certificate money at my local B&M store (Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills, AL) when the HAP40 DF2 was released. And despite my rule, I could not pass it up. The Dragonfly is just too good a design, and HAP40 is too good a steel; the combination was irresistible, especially since Mark's had the knife in stock, right in front of me, and I didn't know how long that would be true.
I have had opportunities to duplicate other knives in my collection, and instead I prefer variety and diversity. But I think so much of the Dragonfly that I made an exception. Buy a Dragonfly. There isn't a lot you can't do with it for an EDC folding knife. If you can get the HAP40, do so. If not, go for the ZDP-189 version. I'd say the Super Blue, but it's probably going to be a lot harder to find. VG10 is ok, but the upgrade is worth the money. And if you want rustproof, or different handle materials, those are out there as well. I don't think you'll be disappointed in any of them.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2