Sticky deployment on pm2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mattman

Re: Sticky deployment on pm2

Post by mattman »

Make sure there's some lube on the detent ball. (Try to keep the lock interface clean of lube)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

By "sticky deployment" are you referring to the strong detent? If so, mine's the same and I consider it a good thing.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I mentioned in another thread that my Cruwear had a stronger detent too. It is my hope that it is part of cqi and we will see it on future pm2's and other models as well. Stronger the detent the better as far as I'm concerned.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Have you tried to adjust the pivot?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

How can you adjust the pivot? Mine is locked down and I can't turn either side to save my life!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Zatx wrote:How can you adjust the pivot? Mine is locked down and I can't turn either side to save my life!
Might have to heat it up some to release thread lock, I use the tip of a soldering iron one the screw head, just be careful near scales. I've also used boiling water on the pivot.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Well I wound up stripping my pivot screw on my brand new S110V! Made me sick to my stomach.

I called down to Warranty & Repair and they are mailing me out replacements. The super nice woman also offered up advice to break them free... place your torx screwdriver in the slot then smack it with a hammer. She was right, one smack later and the screw turned for me!
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

Zatx wrote:Well I wound up stripping my pivot screw on my brand new S110V! Made me sick to my stomach.

I called down to Warranty & Repair and they are mailing me out replacements. The super nice woman also offered up advice to break them free... place your torx screwdriver in the slot then smack it with a hammer. She was right, one smack later and the screw turned for me!
I'm assuming that by "stripping" you mean "camming out."

An idea for future reference: Snap-On sells diamond-chipped Torx bits which "bite" the Torx head. They're not terribly expensive, under $5 each. Might be worth the investment. You can buy these online.
anycal

Post by anycal »

For the stickiness, I would recommend tinkering with the other screws on the handle.

Different flavor of PM2, but what worked for me: loosen up all the screws until your blades falls freely even if there is blade play in the pivot. Tighten the pivot so it still falls freely but there is no blade play. Continue tightening rest of the screws as much is you can while getting the desired free motion of the blade. You may have to go back-and-forth between the handle screws to get the perfect action.
Peter
Taypo

Post by Taypo »

Running into the same issue myself. Ive had it for a couple weeks, flipping it almost constantly. Its definitely loosened up some but its still stiffer than I'd like - not only is it not free swinging when I release the lock, I've got to apply a bit of constant pressure to get it closed. I'm not going to tear it down just yet (red loctite and all) but I'm oiling it as we speak...
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

Zatx wrote:Well I wound up stripping my pivot screw on my brand new S110V! Made me sick to my stomach.

"Smack it with a hammer"....not advice I would expect to hear from W&R! Surely that's not what they do at the factory. :eek:
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I'm having a similar issue on my cruwear pm2.
I think it might be the lockbar. I compared final locked position with my m4 (which is perfect) and the lock bar travels much farther.
I was considering pulling it apart and bending the lock bar a little more straight. Interested if anyone else sees this as well.
I have lubed the pivot. Will check the ball next.
PiggyBackJack

Post by PiggyBackJack »

Had the same problem with my s110v PM when it was brand new. I flipped it a bunch of times to see if I could break it in and it did get smoother but it still wasn't perfect. So I cleaned it out with some compressed air to make sure no dust or lint was stuck in there and after that I lubed it up generously and flipped it a bunch more. That solved the problem and now it's super smooth and the blade swings freely when I disengage the lock. I've carried it for about half a year now and it handles like a dream.

Hope this helps.
QM on the S/Y Modesty under Captain T.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

ejames13 wrote:

"Smack it with a hammer"....not advice I would expect to hear from W&R! Surely that's not what they do at the factory. :eek:

Well in all fairness she may have said "carefully smack it with a hammer" but I've never done anything carefully with a hammer in my hand...
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

It sounds like the threadlocker they use is brittle enough that the shock from smacking it breaks the bond. This is a fascinating tidbit of knowledge, thank you Zatx, for sharing that.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I rotated the stop pin on mine today no more then 1/4 a turn and it's now a free dropper.
Josh