More about Spyderco knives for space use.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

More about Spyderco knives for space use.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I would like to see astronauts, such as those from NASA, take more Spyderco knives into space, and send back picture and video footage of them using them, such as Salt knives with H1 and Lc200N blades. What about the rest of you all? Good idea?

Like they can show how the steel holds up to the various uses in micro gravity. It just seems that H1 and Lc200N would be perfectly matched for that sort of environment. I would also like to see more footage of their use aboard civilian and military seagoing vessels, such as more fish-cleaning and processing and line-cutting footage of these knives at use.
ThePeacent

Re: More about Spyderco knives for space use.

Post by ThePeacent »

AFAIK NASA used LC200N on their systems and mechanical stuff, because of its extraordinary properties.
So, why not issue that same steel to their other stuff (knives, pens, hygiene-related stuff, combs...)? Maybe it's expensive as ****, but seems the logical step to take.

I've thought of wider H1 and LC200N uses often, it seems a no-brainer to me, in many things and industries, but maybe is price and availability what gets in the way?
Nice thread and thoughts!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not sure how much stuff astronauts have to cut while in space. As for H-1, it works best with serrated edges, and serrated blades tend to create particles of chaff when they cut, not always an ideal situation on earth, much worse in space.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thanks guys. Great info on that.

And then I also found this interesting advertisement, sadly the knife is sold out. Look what it sold for, too. Very beautiful Delica there:

http://tomsachs.com/item/nasa-knife

"Used on the moon by Astronauts Ensz, Karapetian, Walz, and Spellacy. These genuine Spyderco Delica 4 knives have been hand altered by Commander Tom Sachs. Each is unique and hand engraved with a NASA insignia and a Space Program serial number. A Totin' Chip Card serves as a certificate of authenticity and outlines the responsibilities of the knife bearer."
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Thanks guys. Great info on that.

And then I also found this interesting advertisement, sadly the knife is sold out. Look what it sold for, too. Very beautiful Delica there:

"Used on the moon by Astronauts Ensz, Karapetian, Walz, and Spellacy. These genuine Spyderco Delica 4 knives have been hand altered by Commander Tom Sachs. Each is unique and hand engraved with a NASA insignia and a Space Program serial number. A Totin' Chip Card serves as a certificate of authenticity and outlines the responsibilities of the knife bearer."
Nobody has been to the moon since the 70's. What do they mean "used on the moon"?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

zhyla wrote: Nobody has been to the moon since the 70's. What do they mean "used on the moon"?
I'm not entirely convinced anyone has been to the moon! :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ImageX

Post by ImageX »

zhyla wrote: Nobody has been to the moon since the 70's. What do they mean "used on the moon"?
A sucker is born every minute and will fall for that nonsense. The final visit to the moon was many years before Spyderco even hit the road in a van.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

zhyla wrote:

Nobody has been to the moon since the 70's. What do they mean "used on the moon"?
The Tom Sachs Delica was made in conjunction with an art installation in 2008 which included a recreation of a moon landing. The Delica has not been to the actual moon, but may have traveled onto the fake moon that was part of the art installation. 100 of the customized Delicas were made.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Yeah, I don't know what astronauts are cutting up there, but I imagine they aren't using standard pocket knives. It seems especially dangerous outside the craft, not to mention infeasible. Those gloves are pretty thick, probably even for a Military. Inside, like Deacon points out, they probably have more precise ways of doing things to minimize floating debris. Just guessing though. I'm not a real astronaut, I just play one in my dreams. :)
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

You could always send your own Spyderco to "space" like these guys did ...

https://youtu.be/_00eZtsuJ9M?t=2m24s
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

It would come down to whatever material can be used at negative 455 degrees Fahrenheit.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

LOL, what a load of BS....