Talk me into a Yojimbo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpeedHoles

Re: Talk me into a Yojimbo

Post by SpeedHoles »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Do you like bad@ss knives?
Ha good response!

Has a pretty classic Kurosawa film to back it up, as well. ;)

jazz does have a pretty good point.
You will be so unconciously used to carrying your regular assorted Delica, when you go to pick up the Yojimbo 2, or slide it into your pocket, you will notice a difference right away.
Not an issue for many users daily carrying a Manix 2, or Millie, or Gayle Bradley... but going from every day with a lightweight Delica to the Yojimbo 2 is a bit of a hefty jump. Not that the Yojimbo 2 is absurdly heavy, but just fair warning before you get one and end up scratching your head.
Also, that blade really flies out of there with some authority, both open and closed! (I don't recall if I've seen you mention if you've owned or used a Compression-lock knife...?)

If none of that is much concern for you, then go for it! It's a current classic in the Spyderco line-up, and for good reason. You definitely wouldn't be alone contemplating using one for regular non-SD tasks! (There's a lot of great threads about it, too)
Ergos and use are very straight forward. That tip is right there, low, and feels like an extension of your hand, and goes wherever you point your thumb!

I really enjoy mine, and use it often. Brilliant design and execution!

I'd still be highly interested in one with a tough tool steel. :)
Going back to Caly.
harronek

Post by harronek »

SpeedHoles wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:Do you like bad@ss knives?
Ha good response!

Has a pretty classic Kurosawa film to back it up, as well. ;)

jazz does have a pretty good point.
You will be so unconciously used to carrying your regular assorted Delica, when you go to pick up the Yojimbo 2, or slide it into your pocket, you will notice a difference right away.
Not an issue for many users daily carrying a Manix 2, or Millie, or Gayle Bradley... but going from every day with a lightweight Delica to the Yojimbo 2 is a bit of a hefty jump. Not that the Yojimbo 2 is absurdly heavy, but just fair warning before you get one and end up scratching your head.
Also, that blade really flies out of there with some authority, both open and closed! (I don't recall if I've seen you mention if you've owned or used a Compression-lock knife...?)

If none of that is much concern for you, then go for it! It's a current classic in the Spyderco line-up, and for good reason. You definitely wouldn't be alone contemplating using one for regular non-SD tasks! (There's a lot of great threads about it, too)
Ergos and use are very straight forward. That tip is right there, low, and feels like an extension of your hand, and goes wherever you point your thumb!

I really enjoy mine, and use it often. Brilliant design and execution!

I'd still be highly interested in one with a tough tool steel. :)

I'll be honest with you and admit The post earlier by Jazz really got me questioning my desire for a Yojimbo .
I feel that Jazz and I have very similar tastes in knives and his mention of the weight set alarm bells ringing .
Then SpeedHoles quoted post above is almost like a nail in the coffin .
The reason I moved to the FRN Delicas from my GB1 which was my previous EDC work knife was hugely motivated by the weight issue .
I loved that GB 1 and still do , occasionally I get it out with the idea of carrying it for a few days at work again .
Those nostalgic thoughts don't last long when I'm brought back to reality of the size and weight .
I will put the Yojimbo desire on pause , and if it's still nagging at my brain in a couple of months then I'll hit the green button .

Thanks for all the responses , it's obvious that the Yojimbo is a great piece of gear by the positive and enthusiastic replies .

Ken
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yes to a trainer! I've always wanted to sign up for a martial blade concepts class.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Yes to a trainer! I've always wanted to sign up for a martial blade concepts class.
Another vote for a yo2 trainer here as well. It would be nice to be able to hit my heavy bag with the trainer like I do the delica trainer, gives you a much better idea of what to expect when you hit something hard with your knife. The delica and yojimbo are very similar in size. It's only 1.5oz heavier despite the beefier blade and handle.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

in case you are curious
yo2trainer.jpg
yo2tr2.jpg
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, Ken:

Thank you for your interest in the Yojimbo 2. If you're curious about the knife's history and design logic, please give this a look: https://youtu.be/1ddOdONCCqU.

As far as weight goes, please remember that comparing it to a Delica Lightweight with FRN handles is a bit of "apples and oranges." A fairer comparison would be comparing it to the old G-10-handled Delica (same handle materials), which weighed 3.2 ounces to the Yo2's 4.2. For reference, the stainless steel-handled Delica is only 0.1 ounces lighter than the Yo2.

I carry two Yo2s and a Delica very comfortably every day, but I understand and respect the fact that knife selection is always a very personal decision. I hope you choose something that fits your needs.

Stay safe,

Mike
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Love the Yo2. Amazed that it fits my small hands, which usually is not the case for me with "fitted" handle shapes that seem intended for folks with average or larger hands, but it fits like a glove.
I wanted to echo the request for a sprint in a different steel - 4V, M4, even Cruwear or 3V. Nothing wrong with the standard model, but a tough tool steel would really complement the blade profile and grind.
(and a deeper carry clip - I want to carry with less sticking out of my pocket, despite the argument favoring easier access).
Happy New Year Mr. Janich :)
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

I agree with most of what's been said in this thread. The Yo2 is a beautiful design. I carry mine much more than my PM2, mostly due to the smaller opening hole and the more unusual shape, which happen to fit my small hands better. The point of this knife is surprisingly useful in EDC tasks. The weight doesn't bother me, but this comes from a guy who carries a piece of tungsten in his pocket daily, so YMMV.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Ok, this thread has talked me into a Yojimbo. Now I just need to talk Sal into making a Yojimbo in Cruwear, 4V, 3V, 52100, M4, Maxamet, LC200N, or S110V. The Coyote Brown DLC S90V does look pretty nice though...
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

The yojimbo strikes me as a beautiful and useful blade with an unfortunate narrative.
The blade shape is fantastically useful for general draw cutting tasks, the fine tip has proven useful for getting into some awkward areas however the self defence angle is a little sketchy imho-
renegador

Post by renegador »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:11 pm
Ok, this thread has talked me into a Yojimbo. Now I just need to talk Sal into making a Yojimbo in Cruwear, 4V, 3V, 52100, M4, Maxamet, LC200N, or S110V. The Coyote Brown DLC S90V does look pretty nice though...
Why did you have to revive this thread and remind me that I still want a Yojimbo2?! How very rude.