Spyderco 2017 Lists: Delivered & Upcoming

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mattman

Re: Spyderco 2017 Lists: Delivered & Upcoming

Post by mattman »

Vivi wrote:At first I didn't either, but after 3 pacific salts, an endura 4, a Swick 3, Spin etc., I'm done regrinding tips. I don't want to have to reprofile the edge, regrind the tip and loc-tite the pivot of every Spyderco I buy, which is how its been lately.
So you're saying that your knife tastes have evolved over the years of being a knife-knut, and now have learned exactly what you like, but somehow it's Spydercos fault that they don't make every knife exactly to your tastes? Sheesh... for the amount of complaining about it you do, you could have tuned all these models to your specific tastes... SMH...

Edit to add: Also, I *really* don't get the loctite comment... Are you claiming that your examples have arrived with *no* loctite at all? Or that, in the process of tuning the pivot to your preference, you have to re-apply?
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Vivi wrote:Why are only half of Spydercos pointy these days? Drives me crazy having to take all my knives to a belt sander to give them tips. I was planning to buy an H1 Manbug but that 90 degree angle tip....why? On a big knife I get it, you might be using it on aboat and drop it and don't want to stab yourself (That's never going to apply to me, I just want a good tip...but it makes sense to me). But a keychain knife? Just give it a useful tip. 95% of what keychain knives are for is poking something open with the tip.
Did you ever have one of the old Ladybug II models? The little tooth on the end, which is shared on the H1 Manbug, was one of the best cutting points I ever had on a knife. It'll poke or slice pretty much anything it grazes, you're just approaching it a different way than with most blades.
~ Nate
vivi

Post by vivi »

mattman wrote:
Vivi wrote:At first I didn't either, but after 3 pacific salts, an endura 4, a Swick 3, Spin etc., I'm done regrinding tips. I don't want to have to reprofile the edge, regrind the tip and loc-tite the pivot of every Spyderco I buy, which is how its been lately.
So you're saying that your knife tastes have evolved over the years of being a knife-knut, and now have learned exactly what you like, but somehow it's Spydercos fault that they don't make every knife exactly to your tastes? Sheesh... for the amount of complaining about it you do, you could have tuned all these models to your specific tastes... SMH...

Edit to add: Also, I *really* don't get the loctite comment... Are you claiming that your examples have arrived with *no* loctite at all? Or that, in the process of tuning the pivot to your preference, you have to re-apply?
You think wanting a knife with a pointy tip is a specific preference developed after years of purchasing high end knives? Knives have been pointy for thousands of years for a reason. It's functional.

Every Spyderco I've purchased with a screw pivot since 2012 has needed an application of loc-tite on the pivot screw to keep from literally falling apart from normal use. I don't know why. Simply opening and closing my CTS204P Military, DLC Manix XL, Pacific Salt SE DLC etc loosened their pivots to the point the knife was not functional. It's annoying having to loc-tite every folder myself, and it's annoying that Spyderco seemingly can't produce a knife that will hold its pivot screw tension without loc-tite. So now anytime I want to take the blade out of the handle for a deep cleaning of the pivot I have to break the loc-tite then re-apply it. Awesome.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Vivi wrote:

Every Spyderco I've purchased with a screw pivot since 2012 has needed an application of loc-tite on the pivot screw to keep from literally falling apart from normal use. I don't know why. Simply opening and closing my CTS204P Military, DLC Manix XL, Pacific Salt SE DLC etc loosened their pivots to the point the knife was not functional. It's annoying having to loc-tite every folder myself, and it's annoying that Spyderco seemingly can't produce a knife that will hold its pivot screw tension without loc-tite. So now anytime I want to take the blade out of the handle for a deep cleaning of the pivot I have to break the loc-tite then re-apply it. Awesome.
I don't mean this to come off as flip but when you make a statement like that, particularly the part I emphasized, it forces me to wonder why on Earth you still buy that type of Spyderco. I am not discounting or disputing your experience, just wondering why you keep coming back to a product that continually disappoints you.
~ Nate
Anubisman

Post by Anubisman »

I'm seeing the Manbug Salt available through online dealers.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Anubisman wrote:I'm seeing the Manbug Salt available through online dealers.

Seems pretty popular having went out of stock, at BladeHQ for a short while last week.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Anubisman wrote:I'm seeing the Manbug Salt available through online dealers.
It has been available at dealers for a few weeks now.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Available since last week:
  • Delica4 Damascus & VG-10 Foliage Green FRN Moteng (Japan)
  • Mule Team 25 LC200N PlainEdge (Taiwan)

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Two more at the dealers:
  • ParaMilitary2 Left Handed CPM-S30V Black G-10 (USA)
  • Q Ball VG-10 Black G-10 (Japan)

kvnlau7

Post by kvnlau7 »

There seem to be no ETA available on the Composite steel Manix. I ordered one since last year.
Check out my IG: Kvnlau7
Also known as kvnlau7 on bladeforums
vivi

Post by vivi »

jujigatame wrote:
Vivi wrote:

I don't mean this to come off as flip but when you make a statement like that, particularly the part I emphasized, it forces me to wonder why on Earth you still buy that type of Spyderco. I am not discounting or disputing your experience, just wondering why you keep coming back to a product that continually disappoints you.
If Spyderco model X has every feature I want, but has a ****** screw pivot design, I'm probably going to choose that and 2$ of loc-tite over a knife that isn't what I want but has a well designed pivot.

It sucks that they can't just make pivots like they used to. Its kind of silly that I can buy a Spyderco, open and close it less than 100 times, and it falls apart in my hands.

I do buy pinned models when I can, but they don't offer very many that interest me. Manbug would have been one of them had it come with a knife blade instead of a sharpened rectangle.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Vivi wrote:
jujigatame wrote:
Vivi wrote:

If Spyderco model X has every feature I want, but has a ****** screw pivot design, I'm probably going to choose that and 2$ of loc-tite over a knife that isn't what I want but has a well designed pivot.

It sucks that they can't just make pivots like they used to. Its kind of silly that I can buy a Spyderco, open and close it less than 100 times, and it falls apart in my hands.

I do buy pinned models when I can, but they don't offer very many that interest me. Manbug would have been one of them had it come with a knife blade instead of a sharpened rectangle.
That is crazy that this happens to you. I don't get it. I Own around 50 Spydies and have never experienced something like this. And this is happening with out you ever touching the pivot screw to begin with?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

swigert wrote:That is crazy that this happens to you. I don't get it. I Own around 50 Spydies and have never experienced something like this. And this is happening with out you ever touching the pivot screw to begin with?
I have over 100 Spyderco folders, carry them every single day (Not all 100+ every day. I'd need more pockets to do that. :p), and have had exactly zero fall apart. I had a scale screw come loose once, but that's about the extent of my screws coming loose. That's my anecdotal evidence.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
swigert

Post by swigert »

jabba359 wrote:
swigert wrote:That is crazy that this happens to you. I don't get it. I Own around 50 Spydies and have never experienced something like this. And this is happening with out you ever touching the pivot screw to begin with?
I have over 100 Spyderco folders, carry them every single day (Not all 100+ every day. I'd need more pockets to do that. :p), and have had exactly zero fall apart. I had a scale screw come loose once, but that's about the extent of my screws coming loose. That's my anecdotal evidence.
Ive had 1 clip screw come loose.This a weird situation.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

I'd say vivis got a screw loose.
trakcon

Post by trakcon »

I've had screw problems on several Spyderco's as well. Most notably, my PM2 pivot refuses to stay put. I've tried Loctite on it, but it always manages to wick off the screw into the space between the scale and liner. Right now I'm trying Vibratite VC3 instead of Loctite.
mattman

Post by mattman »

trakcon wrote:I've had screw problems on several Spyderco's as well. Most notably, my PM2 pivot refuses to stay put. I've tried Loctite on it, but it always manages to wick off the screw into the space between the scale and liner. Right now I'm trying Vibratite VC3 instead of Loctite.
Make sure you clean any traces of lube from the male and female threads prior to application. (Just a suggestion/troubleshoot idea)
trakcon

Post by trakcon »

Thanks for the suggestion. I've become very thorough in cleaning everything. It seems that the loctite wicks off the screw upon insertion. After a week or so, when things have worked their way loose, I pull the pivot screw and there is no trace of loctite on the screw. Upon further disassembly, I find loctite residue along the liner. It's frustrating. Next time I'm going to try placing a drop of loctite inside the pivot instead of on the screw.
mattman

Post by mattman »

That's strange... Never seen that? Post back if you figure it out.
Hopefully the VibraTite works better for you.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Jeff at Cutlery Shoppe just advised tomorrow the orange Manix 2 LW in s90v drops