Push Sharpening a Serrated Edge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Push Sharpening a Serrated Edge

Post by Mad Mac »

The Tri-Angle Sharpmaker does a good job on my SpyderEdge blades but I got to thinking. (Always a risky endeavor, often resulting in shame and humiliation.)

Whereas most of our cutting chores require a draw stroke, draw sharpening makes sense; and for a plain edge should be more than adequate. But sometimes a plunging or sawing cut is useful, such as cutting carpet or cardboard. In my case, the netting on the round bales of hay that we feed out surrenders to a plunging cut more easily than a draw cut because the hay opposes the netting.

With all those edges and teeth in the serrated blades, I felt like the trailing edges of the teeth were not getting their fair share of the fine stone of my Sharpmaker. So, lately I've begun to add some gentle push sharpening strokes when I touch up my serrated blades. Of course I can't be sure, but it seems to produce better results.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Evil D

Re: Push Sharpening a Serrated Edge

Post by Evil D »

I either go really REALLY slow to make sure the entire serration hits the stone, or I make back to back draw/push strokes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

On a theoretical level I can't imagine using a push or draw stroke on the sharpmaker makes a difference. Whatever you're most comfortable would likely produce the best real world results. If you want to split hairs the scratch pattern could affect things a little either way but in every day use you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference on a serrated edge especially.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Only makes perfect sense to go forward AND backward to get both sides of the scallops. I discovered that early in my serrations sharpening.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I never thought of it before. Too bad the 701 profile stones are out of production.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Jazz wrote:Only makes perfect sense to go forward AND backward to get both sides of the scallops. I discovered that early in my serrations sharpening.
Same here. I can't go slowly enough to evenly get both front and rear of scallops equally sharp by only pulling.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I do both directions. I never feel like I get 100% engagement every pass but it does seem to work. I finish off buffing with a dremel. The whole process is kind of a pain but SE blades are effective for so long on a given sharpening that it's definitely worth it.