Anyone else excited for the new police model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Anyone else excited for the new police model

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:the new Ankerson/Sanders
Hey, Sal. Is this a bombshell, or am I late to the party?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Jim hinted at it last year. I have one of the Sanders-made customs and it is awesome! Looking forward to seeing what Spyderco does with it. Great design.
vivi

Post by vivi »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Able Dog wrote:
bluemetalchurch wrote:This knife caught my eye in the Spyderco catalog. Anyone use the previous models as an EDC?

I carry either a stainless Police or Police 3 quite regularly. Did you have specific questions about them?

1 Would it be good for preparing food at an outdoor get-together or picnic?
2 Would you recommend the fully serrated, part serrated, or plain edge model for everyday use?
3 How does it compare to the Spyderco Endura Stainless and other Endura models?
4 Are the blade and tip strong enough for use in a survival situation, such as one being stranded as a castaway on an island or deep in the arctic wilderness?

Thank you in advance.
1. The new Police will be better for this than the old one. The lack of belly is a drawback when working with a cutting board. You'll need to cut close to the edge of the cutting board with the Police 3. Otherwise its great for food prep. The thin FFG blade with plenty of cutting edge makes quick work of most foods. No issues slicing cantaloupes in half for example.

2. I prefer PE for cleaner cuts and easier sharpening, but everyone has their preference.

3. Better ergonomics, more cutting edge, thinner FFG blade cuts much better, slightly heavier and longer but carries just about as well as my FRN Enduras did,

4. Yes, if you are cutting things. No, if you are prying things. Will the Police 3 cut rope, whittle feather sticks and traps, clean small game, handle camp food prep with ease and not weigh you down as much as most fixed blades? Absolutely. I even use my Police 3 for light chopping to clear thorns growing on trails near my house. No issues, even with the edge reprofiled to 10DPS and given a 15DPS microbevel.

My favorite survival knife from Spyderco is the Aqua Salt. Its very light (I spend much more time walking than cutting in the woods), rust proof, can be sharpened easily on any abrasive object like a river stone, and its extremely tough. No issues batoning or prying with them.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thanks Vivi for the excellent answers on my questions and also your view on the Aqua Salt, which I also really enjoy as one of the best Spyderco knives ever made and best knives ever made in history.

Regarding the Police 4 it looks very much like a more utilitarian knife.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The Police 3 G-10 was on my want list for a long time, but I never pulled the trigger, and believe me it was tough when it came down to $125 or so, but now I'm glad I didn't, because I like this one even better. I know the SS swedged model has a huge following among the long-time fans, but it doesn't appeal to me as much as the G-10 P4. And the skeletonized liners get the weight down to just 4.3oz. That's just 0.05oz heavier than my FG G-10 Endura and noticably lighter than a G-10 Millie.

I can't help but wonder what it would look like with the Dr. Jones treatment :p http://cuscadi.de/spyderco-tenacious-mi ... -dr-jones/
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
SharpCdn

Post by SharpCdn »

Ok, it is officially April and the last update I heard was April-May. I have been trying to put the release of the Police 4 on the back burner of my mind because I am impatient by nature. But now that April is here, it is back on my mind...probably prematurely but...

Has anyone heard any updates on the release of the Police 4?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I've been carrying the proto, but not in the city....it's a large knife and is illegal in Denver.

The maker was waiting longer than expected on steel so last I heard was late summer.

sal
From bladeforums two days ago. :(
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SharpCdn

Post by SharpCdn »

Thanks for the update.

I guess I'll put it out of my mind for a while. I am really looking forward to this model!
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

This one seems interesting. I guess some news is better than no news. There are several interesting upcoming models for which we have no release information, other than soon. I'm looking at you, Chinook 4.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I want this in a stainless steel so bad :/ Looking like the ATR or Chinook will be my first purchase from the new models.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If this one is K390 and being made in Japan, does that mean the other Japan models can be made in K390?

Hmmmm....K390 Dragonfly 2....
Punishcutioner

Post by Punishcutioner »

Where's pics of the new Police model?
mattman

Post by mattman »

Punishcutioner wrote:Where's pics of the new Police model?
Amsterdam thread. Back in a sec with a link...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73545

Nope, it's actually not in there... Hmmmm...
mattman

Post by mattman »

There's at least a pic in the catalog, which can be downloaded in PDF format...
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

bornagainprimative wrote:Woah it's got some length!

When's it suppose to be released?
Not really. Why does the police still have a choil? Its supposedly intended to stab and slash people. K390 makes sense from a business standpoint, but not a practical one. Think of all those hard working sweaty cops and 4 percent chromium or so, not a good mix.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

From Bladeforums..

[QUOTE=Sal Glesser;17050244]I've been carrying the proto, but not in the city....it's a large knife and is illegal in Denver.

The maker was waiting longer than expected on steel so last I heard was late summer.

sal[/QUOTE]
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

tripscheck'em wrote:Its supposedly intended to stab and slash people.
It is?

I thought it was intended for use by police on duty. I doubt that involves a lot of knife fighting. I'd guess that they're more likely to use it to cut things (like seatbelts) in a hurry. And if you're only carrying the one (large) knife, a choir so you can choke up on it makes a lot of sense.
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

TomAiello wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:Its supposedly intended to stab and slash people.
It is?

I doubt that involves a lot of knife fighting.
You're right, Sal made it 4 and 1/2 inches in length and named it "the Police" for no good reason at all beyond cutting seatbelts and peeling oranges, never mind Spyderco's own Assist knife and the liability involved in accidentally stabbing someone during a rescue, hence the existence of the Assist and its absence of a point.

Cops are involved in conflict and confrontation on a daily basis, which is why they, you know, carry guns. But apparently that environment doesn't translate into the knife world. Why not just put a choil on the Civilian as well and produce it with Rex121?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

tripscheck'em wrote:[Why not just put a choil on the Civilian as well and produce it with Rex121?
Here's another thought. You could not buy the Police model since you don't like it. The many of us who do like it will buy it.