Dodo Clips Are Awesome!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JimP

Dodo Clips Are Awesome!

Post by JimP »

This may only interest 1% of you but I thought if it helped some it was worth posting.

I love the wire clip on the UKPK but found on the Techno the 90 degree bend would dig into my palm horribly when used in a firm grip, as a result I put the Techno aside for a long while...it took some time before I realised that the Dodo clip may help, and help it did! Whilst it made the Techno usable for me it also improved the comfort/ergos on the Bowie and Chaparral, I also love being able to grab the clip screw for easier removal from the pocket and the Dodo clip does not shift around nearly as much in use.

Whilst I understand that some will miss the deeper carry of the original, that to me is far outweighed by the benefits, so if you've ever had an issue with the 90 degree bend on the standard wire clip, give the Dodo clip a go, you may just like it! ;)

toomzz

Re: Dodo Clips Are Awesome!

Post by toomzz »

Interesting, there is a non-deepcarry wireclip......
Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

toomzz wrote:Interesting, there is a non-deepcarry wireclip......

There's a few sure the manix lw is the same style as the dodo
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Helluva good post, chap. Noticed the Junior works the same way but actually comes with the Dodo clip. Deep carry doesn't work on that model
zeroed4x

Post by zeroed4x »

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure there will be many out there who will be thrilled. Sorry I'm not a fan of wire clips. In my opinion, it cheapens the appearance of all knives.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Looks like the shorter Dodo clip falls right on the lock bar relief on that Slysz Bowie. Might snag some material upon withdrawal.
Might want to try the longer Manix 2 LW wire clip instead.

Cool thread though. Sometimes the benefits of a lower profile clip in-use and in-hand out weigh any small benefit of a folded over deep carry style clip in the pocket.
Going back to Caly.
JimP

Post by JimP »

SpeedHoles wrote:Looks like the shorter Dodo clip falls right on the lock bar relief on that Slysz Bowie. Might snag some material upon withdrawal.
Might want to try the longer Manix 2 LW wire clip instead.

Cool thread though. Sometimes the benefits of a lower profile clip in-use and in-hand out weigh any small benefit of a folded over deep carry style clip in the pocket.
The clip does fall on the edge of the lock bar relief but from memory it's easier to retrieve from the pocket than the original. I think it is in part due to the fact that you are grabbing the screw to retrieve rather than putting pressure on the clip. Also it's placement doesn't encourage the material to bundle up in the relief like I seem to remember the original did (I'll check this if/when I can find the originals...).

I know a few people have used the M2 LW clip on the Bowie but as it is a similar length or longer than the original, I felt it would shift around too much in use. The Dodo clip is very rigid feeling in hand and it just happens to have all the curves in just the right places for my fingers whilst in different grips, which is another improvement I forgot to mention in the OP.
foofie

Post by foofie »

Yes - there seems to be at least two lengths of the wire clips - for both deep and regular carry.
I swapped out my positron clip for the shorter dragonfly/ourobouros clip, and it took away (almost) all the hot spots caused by the original clip. Just like every knife fits in each of our hands a bit differently, it seems every knife/clip combo may also fit a bit differently.