Sage 5 or Caly 3.5 CF zdp189

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
murphjd25

Sage 5 or Caly 3.5 CF zdp189

Post by murphjd25 »

I need some swaying one way or the other, I got some Christmas money already burning a hole in my pocket. I have a Sage 1 and love it, and I love the compression lock so a Sage 5 would be a no Brainer. But I see there's still some caly 3.5s around with carbon fiber and zdp189. I really like the looks of those calypsos, man they are sweet looking. Should I just get the caly before it's gone? I can always get a Sage 5 later this year...thanks fellow spydie addicts.
Josh
Sharp Guy

Re: Sage 5 or Caly 3.5 CF zdp189

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sounds like a no brainer to me. You already have a Sage 1 and the Sage 5 isn't likely to go out of production any time soon. I'd get the Caly while they're still available. Heck I've been thinking about getting one but I think I'd prefer Caly 3 so I'm going to do my best to get one of HAP40 sprint run knives.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

The more I think about it I probably shouldn't have posted this...I've been dead set on a caly 3.5 for a while now...I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow. I'd love to see some pics and hear what you guys have to say about it still though.
Josh
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Good choice! I love my Cal3. I love everything about it. The Caly 3.5 is apparently only a tad bit longer for a longer blade. To me, it is a better knife than the Sage.

Sadly, the new Caly 3 HAP 40 weighs nearly as much as the new, and much larger, Police 3. I know G10 is heavier than carbon fiber, but it is not that much heavier. Perhaps they did not drill out the liners the same as on the just past model?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bh49

Caly 3.5 CF zdp189 way to go

Post by bh49 »

I started to use G10/VG10 Caly3 right after they came out in 2006. I bought ZDP variant, when it hit dealers shelves, but never carried. I hated uneven laminated lines and wasn't equipped to sharpen ZDP. Few years later G10 Caly3 was discontinued and I was totally heart broken, but Caly3.5 came out and I switched. Later I got over uneven laminated lines and got WE. Currently I an carrying ZDP189 Caly3 and G10 Caly3.5 to supplement my Natives. Recently I caught myself thinking that I need to switch to Caly3.5 ZDP. It looks like ultimate EDC at least now.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Caly 3.5 cf zdp189 inbound
Josh
bh49

Caly 3.5 CF zdp189

Post by bh49 »

murphjd25 wrote:Caly 3.5 cf zdp189 inbound
wise decision
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

toomzz

Post by toomzz »

murphjd25 wrote:Caly 3.5 cf zdp189 inbound
Good choice. Purchased it some years ago and still love it.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Thanks guys, I've been eyeing one of these sense my addiction started, excited to finally get one. After this I'm going to take a break before my wife loses it haha
Josh
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

It's been one of my top 3 EDC knives ever since it came out. I think one (or a variant) belongs in every Spyderco aficionados collection. Enjoy!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Defintly impressed with this guy. I mean it when I say Taichung probably makes the nicest spydies but this caly from Moki might even be better. The most amazing fit and finish I have seen on a knife this far, and I love how it has no bearings or washers. Extremely well put together just such an awesome knife. So glad I finally got one of these.
Josh
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ Very nice!!!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

murphjd25 wrote: Defintly impressed with this guy. I mean it when I say Taichung probably makes the nicest spydies but this caly from Moki might even be better. The most amazing fit and finish I have seen on a knife this far, and I love how it has no bearings or washers. Extremely well put together just such an awesome knife. So glad I finally got one of these.
Congrats. Enjoy your knife. Calys rock.
You need to try finding old Spydercos from Moki like Kopas, Kiwis, Damascuss Caly or Persians. They were exquisite.

Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

murphjd25 wrote:Image

Defintly impressed with this guy. I mean it when I say Taichung probably makes the nicest spydies but this caly from Moki might even be better. The most amazing fit and finish I have seen on a knife this far, and I love how it has no bearings or washers. Extremely well put together just such an awesome knife. So glad I finally got one of these.
Why do you love that it has no bearings or washers? Just curious.
Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

Doc Dan wrote:Good choice! I love my Cal3. I love everything about it. The Caly 3.5 is apparently only a tad bit longer for a longer blade. To me, it is a better knife than the Sage.

Sadly, the new Caly 3 HAP 40 weighs nearly as much as the new, and much larger, Police 3. I know G10 is heavier than carbon fiber, but it is not that much heavier. Perhaps they did not drill out the liners the same as on the just past model?
I was wondering the same thing. How can the HAP 40 weigh an ounce more than the new Para 3, which also has a G10 handle?

I would love a Caly 3 in G10, but I'm not going to carry a 4 ounce knife. I've been looking for the original G10 Caly 3, but without any luck.
Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

How much wider is the Sage 5 handle than the Caly 3? Anyone have a side-by-side picture?
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Will Rogers wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:Image

Why do you love that it has no bearings or washers? Just curious.
It is just incredibly smooth without any washers, so incredibly smooth. Less parts = less potential problems :)
Josh
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Great choice. The Caly 3.5 is a fantastic knife. How do they get soooo much blade in a compact, thin, easy-on-the-pockets knife, with a great wire clip? Classic design! You're gonna love it. Been my primary edc since this version came out. :spyder:
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I hAve been thinking the same thing! This blade is huge compared to the handle, I love it! Such a beauty.
Josh