Gayle Bradley Advocate First Impressions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Re: Gayle Bradley Advocate First Impressions?

Post by Ankerson »

Got mine yesterday, excellent knife IMO, fit and finish is outstanding.

Can't find anything wrong with it.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I got mine yesterday and have been playing with it since then. A really slick knife. Mine seems to be working perfectly.
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

sal wrote:Hi ParkerAlto and Burlyspyder,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Thanks Sal, long-time reader and customer, first time typer. The GBA brought me out from behind the curtain, as it seems like a nearly perfect EDC knife for me, and I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Cheers,
-bs
:bug-red: H1, M4, 4v, 10v, Hap40, s90v, s110v, BD1n, Maxamet, Magnacut
MT; Z-max, Z-wear, Magnacut, SRS13, Rex76, M398, T15, K294, ZDP-189, HIC, AEB-L, SPY27, 15v
Other: D2, White#1, Blue#2, SuperBlue, VG-10, 204P, 20cv, s30v, s35vn, s45vn, s90v, HIC, TC71
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Need a lefty version!
bladenthusiast

Post by bladenthusiast »

Sal, are there any updates on this matter? It would be great to hear whether a solution has been found
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Just an update: Still loving mine!

Received it 12/27, and in that time it's gotten around 75% pocket tme. It is very smooth, has no blade play, and a solid lock up around 50%.

The weight, materials, ergos, in-pocket feel, blade design, size and action have actually made this my favorite modern folder. It's a phenomenal design and I hope to one day have one of Mr. Bradley's customs.

It's gotten a bit of a patina from slicing an apple and not rinsing it right away...the blade is at 16-17 dps and slices stupidly well. Wood, rope, cardboard...it's all been comfortable and undemanding during cutting.

The Advocate is an excellently designed and executed blade, it sucks that some had issues. I hope that the bearing system holds up, and that most of those who are carrying an Advocate are having the same great experience I'm having. Mine will definitely be in pocket for the foreseeable future.

So it goes.
sal

Post by sal »

bladenthusiast wrote:Sal, are there any updates on this matter? It would be great to hear whether a solution has been found
Hi Bladenthusiast,

Welcome to our forum.

Still working on the "issue".

sal
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Why not Just switch to washers ditch the bearings. You can still make a sweet flipper without the bearings. Its also just less steps and expense.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Your gonna return us to the days before social media and YouTube? Please!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Mic1 wrote:Why not Just switch to washers ditch the bearings. You can still make a sweet flipper without the bearings. Its also just less steps and expense.
Even there, there are many issues to consider.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't​ have much of a dog in this fight since I'm not buying an Advocate, but my Southard has always been perfect and it didn't take much to get my Mantra perfect.

As for going away from bearings, I'm pretty indifferent. I haven't had bad experience with the bearings, but at at the same time the action on the 3 newest Militaries I have is so good I have no doubt at all they would flip as good as any bearing pivot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
hank_612

Post by hank_612 »

I have had my advocate since before Christmas. I use and flip the crap out of it. I have not adjusted the pivot. I have a feeling it will run forever if the pivot is not overtightened. I would send it in for a PB washers conversion but I am not sure it needed.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I have had my Advocate since January. I would say don't mess with it; after break in - mine has been flawless. I WILL NOT send it in for any modification of any sort. Why should i?
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Here are two pictures of my Jake Hoback MK Ultra Hardened Stainless Bearing Races. I cant get the races out to tell you their thickness. This knife has the smoothest flipping and closing action of any bearing knife I have ever owned even my Gayle Bradley custom tac one ( Advocate) is not as good.
IMG_3144.JPG
IMG_3144.JPG (33.91 KiB) Viewed 2661 times
IMG_3143.JPG
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Mic1 wrote:Here are two pictures of my Jake Hoback MK Ultra Hardened Stainless Bearing Races. I cant get the races out to tell you their thickness. This knife has the smoothest flipping and closing action of any bearing knife I have ever owned even my Gayle Bradley custom tac one ( Advocate) is not as good.
IMG_3144.JPG
IMG_3143.JPG

That stuff can be ordered off of alibaba. Not saying those specific ones were. There are videos on youtube of spyderco knives being retrofitted with these and in the videos it appears that the alibaba bearings and races considerably improve performance. Point being I don't think they're junk and it's quite possible a lot of makers use them already, especially considering the fact that the ones in hoback's knife look exactly like some available on alibaba.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.