The best EDC Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hank_612

Re: The best EDC Knife

Post by hank_612 »

I recommend the Delica Wharncliffe
PM1

Post by PM1 »

HAP40 Delica which I have swapped out the scales to black with a black pocket clip to make it blend better with pants rather than the more eye catching burnt orange which were the original scales. I looked through about 10 of these Delicas in my local brick and mortar and found one that had a super thin grind. It is the most scalpel-like knife that I own. Great steel, great ergos and great size. It is also lefty friendly.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I work selling autoparts, so during the week a Native 5 in G10, on the weekend my Military.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I couldn't justify choosing anything besides a Pacific Salt PE, even if I tend to carry other designs more during the cooler months. It has to many things going for it.

- Amazing blade length to weight ratio
- 100% rust proof
- One of the only full sized, 3oz knives in the Spyderco line-up
- Excellent ergonomics (superior to the E4 IMO)
- Great blade shape (Just gotta regrind the tip to make it pointy)
- Pocket clip can be tightened or swapped with two coins

Its my go to for half the year, if not more. I often pocket more "interesting" designs but when it comes to pure utility the Pacific Salt can't be beat. Its what I grab if I'm not sure what knife to put in my pocket in the morning.
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

ejcr98 wrote:DF2 in ZDP-189. Best edc for urban environment. Would love something a little bit more dressy with a smoother lock though, to carry when going out to dinner or when wearing a suit and tie for court hearings. Like CF sclaes and a compression lock with a slightly longer blade (slightly less than 2.5" so that I can still take it to court).
I'm also a dragonfly 2 owner looking for another dressier sub-2.5 inch folder. What about the Dice or the Techno?

First post btw.
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
dc50

Post by dc50 »

My choice for urban environment would be the Chaparral. Although the blade is 2-13/16" (71 mm) which would put you over
the 2-1/2" It's the perfect urban knife.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Caly Jr.

thin, lightweight, small footprint...equally at home in the waistband or in the pocket...

great geometry for slicing...

Chaparral is great also for the same reasons, I really like the blade shape on the Chap better.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Kershaw Leek and it's affordable at a price of around $35-$40.

Oh, you meant a Spyderco knife?

That would be my Manix 2 but I consider that to be a little bit too large.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

For all around things, and whatever arises that day, I trust and like my Pacific Salt the most. It's been in my pocket every day for 2 1/2 years now, and it's never failed me yet.

always delivers
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

What ever you have at the time ya need it!!! :D John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
attila

Post by attila »

What ever you have at the time ya need it!!! :D John :)
That's not a valid answer... :p ;)

If you have no blade because you're at an airport, which knife would you consider the best one for general purpose?
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

bryan123 wrote:
ejcr98 wrote:DF2 in ZDP-189. Best edc for urban environment. Would love something a little bit more dressy with a smoother lock though, to carry when going out to dinner or when wearing a suit and tie for court hearings. Like CF sclaes and a compression lock with a slightly longer blade (slightly less than 2.5" so that I can still take it to court).
I'm also a dragonfly 2 owner looking for another dressier sub-2.5 inch folder. What about the Dice or the Techno?

First post btw.
The Dice and Techno both have blade lengths greater than 2.5" although by just a bit. Even though the difference is miniscule, it makes them illegal in U.S. federal facilities.
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

ejcr98 wrote:
bryan123 wrote:

First post btw.
The Dice and Techno both have blade lengths greater than 2.5" although by just a bit. Even though the difference is miniscule, it makes them illegal in U.S. federal facilities.
Thanks. Which one would you suggest for a dressy alternative to a DF that's under the 2 1/2 inch legal limit?
Bryan
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
harronek

Post by harronek »

bryan123 wrote:
ejcr98 wrote:
bryan123 wrote:

First post btw.
Thanks. Which one would you suggest for a dressy alternative to a DF that's under the 2 1/2 inch legal limit?
The Gayle Bradley Air is 2 1/2 inch if I remember correctly ( could be wrong though havent officially checked ) , and makes a great Gentlemans knife .

Ken
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

bryan123 wrote:
ejcr98 wrote:
bryan123 wrote:

First post btw.
I honestly don't know. Spyderco used to make a Cat with CF scales, S30V steel and a blade length just short of 2.5" but it was discontinued because of quality issues. The current version of the Cat is in BD1 steel, G-10 scales and, according to Spyderco's catalog, has a blade length of 2.5", which means it cannot be taken into federal facilities by the public in general.

The old CF version of the Cat is what comes closest to what imo would be the perfect suit knife. I don't own one though nor do I own the Techno or the Dice, but I am sure they are pretty great.

For me, the perfect suit knife would be like a mini Sage 5, with a blade length just under 2.5", say 2.45". You know, classic looking CF scales, compression lock, premium steel (although if I could have my wish I would have the blade be in S35VN instead of S30V, just because I already have a knife in S30V and S35VN is apparently easier to sharpen).

There has been talk about a Lil' Native with a compression lock and a 2.5" approximate blade length, but I don't know much else. I can only hope it is what I would love for Spyderco to make as my perfect suit knife.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Full Flat Grind ZDP-189 Delica 4. Light weight, thin, sharp, user friendly, little big knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

bryan123 wrote:

First post btw.

Welcome!

What you need to find is the Dragonfly 2 Nishijin ZDP-189. That is your perfect answer. It is an amazingly beautiful knife. No picture can capture it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

K2. Big enough blade for tasks, good steel, solidly built. Looks "classy" but not "sharp dressed".

Here's how I got there:

No coated, including DLC, for everyday carry. Too easy to lend it to well-intentioned but knife-ignorant coworker, and get a scratched up blade back.

Blade does have to be large enough for a wide variety of tasks; which dictates a larger handle. A nice CF handle or even G10 handle attracts scratches like a Baltimore street corner attracts drug dealers.

Blade cannot be too thin; the moment I pass a thin blade to a coworker is the moment when I look over and notice that his definition of reasonable use for a knife includes prying old 2x4s apart. Buh-bye Millie, PM2.

It's a scientifically proven fact that large blades do not have the energy to grow legs and walk away. In fact, quite frequently if I pull out a large enough folder (like the Szabo or probably K2), and say something like "Careful. You can slip and accidentally decapitate children with this" many people get a look on their face between terror and shock, and conclude that the task at hand does not require a knife after all.

That's one problem with EDC solved.
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

Doc Dan wrote:
bryan123 wrote:

First post btw.

Welcome!

What you need to find is the Dragonfly 2 Nishijin ZDP-189. That is your perfect answer. It is an amazingly beautiful knife. No picture can capture it.
This is the answer!! Thanks!!
Bryan
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Best is so subjective. Best to me is finding the model that works best for you and then taking it to the next level to personalize it and make it work even better for you. Even the model you feel is absolutely perfect can be tweaked and tailored to your personal hand.

For me, so far, it's this.

I say so far because that's just the best I'm able to get with that particular model. The upcoming Sliver is similar to my design but also has some things I like that I can't mod into a Manix so the story continues as new models come.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David