The Bushcraft

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ruarch

The Bushcraft

Post by Ruarch »

I realize this is probably a dumb question before I even ask it but I need to verify. Does the Bushcraft throw sparks off a firesteel?
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
hoimin

Re: The Bushcraft

Post by hoimin »

Ruarch wrote:I realize this is probably a dumb question before I even ask it but I need to verify. Does the Bushcraft throw sparks off a firesteel?
This video says yes
https://youtu.be/SKuvNpph9K0
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Yes, it works very well to make sparks with the Bushcraft off a firesteel, the spine is sharp enough. I'm able to confirm this from own experience.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

He used the spine of the blade to get make wood shavings, never seen that before! (5 min mark) I wonder if anyone would be concerned used a folder for that - Millie or PM2. I would assume the locks would be strong enough to take that lateral force.

What do guys think - no no for a folder? Or, as long as you use minimal force no biggie?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My personal opinion is that doing anything with a folding knife that exerts closing force (other than actually closing the knife) is a poor knife-handling practice, period. The lock may save you from your own stupidity for a while, but anything made by human beings can fail, and the longer it protects you, the worse your injury is going to be when it finally doesn't. As for applying lateral force, that is somewhat safer, but folding knives aren't really built for that. Neither are fixed blades, but the stresses involved are a bit less likely to damage the knife.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

He was using the spine to scrape fatwood dust/shavings for tinder. I wouldn't use a folder spine for that unless I was holding the blade face (super carefully), rather than the handle so there wouldn't be any lateral or torsional forces exerted on the pivot. And only if I had no other choice.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

ZMW wrote:He used the spine of the blade to get make wood shavings, never seen that before! (5 min mark) I wonder if anyone would be concerned used a folder for that - Millie or PM2. I would assume the locks would be strong enough to take that lateral force.

What do guys think - no no for a folder? Or, as long as you use minimal force no biggie?
You can do this safely with most folders with the knife closed as most folders still have enough of the spine exposed, no reason to stress the lock