Received and carried my Hap40 Stretch today...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
death-to-yancey

Received and carried my Hap40 Stretch today...

Post by death-to-yancey »

... and it's most definitely a keeper! It's bigger than I imagined it would be which is a good thing. But the handle to blade ratio is just about perfection for me. It carried great clipped to my front right pocket. But, in hand it really shines. I don't have large hands by any means so I don't need a huge handle, but I like a longer than 3" blade, so once again that ratio tho! Lol. I do what I always do when I get a new knife and sharpened it with my Lansky and I was very happy with how it took an edge pretty easily. It's already bit me so I got that part out of the way, now hopefully it'll hold onto the edge a little while. I just put a 20° per side with no micro bevel and few passes on the rough and smooth side of my strop and I was very pleased with the edge I got. This is my first go round with any of Spyderco's lock back designs so my ritual of taking my new knives apart and cleaning/oiling didn't go as smoothly as planned lol. It was a pain getting that lock bar and spring put back in but I got it eventually. I was planning on buying some new fancier micarta scales to put on it but now that I've got it in hand I'm kind of liking the frn to my surprise. At the moment the only "modification" I'm really planning is smoothing out the spydie hole. I've liked the sharp edge on others in the past but the way the handle holds my hand I think it'll be even more comfortable with the edge smooth. Well enough blabbering from me, so I'll just leave you with a few poorly taken cell phone photos, and the declaration that if you haven't given the Stretch a shot, you should put it on your short list!

Thanks to all members, old and new.

-George
Sharp Guy

Re: Received and carried my Hap40 Stretch today...

Post by Sharp Guy »

Very nice d-t-y!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Congratulations!

Stretch ergonomic is so good I'm wondering if the funky blade shape causes it lower sales than Endura or Delica. I enjoy it tremendously! Going clipless is even better, try that!

Hopefully you managed to align the spring holder correctly, and the two nubs are in the hole against the liner.

The process below is for Endura, but applicable for Stretch (or Delica) too: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... icky-part/

PS: Boomer over BF is making custom scale and had the insert holding the spring worked out. Try that: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... RETCH-FRN/
Chris :spyder:
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I picked one of these up recently as well. I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. There's just something about the whole package that works. I think the more I use it, the more I'm going to like it too. Love the thin grind. Enjoy!
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Nice pickup! The Stretch is the only HAP40 sprint I don't either own or have reserved. I'm jealous! If you don't mind me asking, where did you find this one?
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I got mine at Hand-tools less than 2 wks ago. Looks like they finally sold out since then (glad I pulled the trigger!). They had the best price anywhere I looked. They come up on the Exchange every few weeks if you keep an eye out.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Still Working

Post by Still Working »

I really like the Stretch! I have 5 of them, but I still keep wondering if I should get that Hap40 model...
s110v "Blurple" Knives: PM 2, Manix 2, Native 5
ZDP-189 Knives: BRG Dragonfly 2, BRG Stretch FRN, Brn G10 Stretch 2, BRG Ladybug,
BRG Manbug
VG-10 Knives: Gray Delica, Brown Endura, Foliage Green Endura combo blade,
Black FRN Stretch, Purple Delica, Black FRN serrated Stretch, Black FRN CE Stretch
H1 Knives: Dragonfly 2
Damascus DPS 15 VG-10 Knives: Titanium Damascus Delica
M4 Knives: Bradley Folder 2
Deep Carry Clips: Casey Lynch, 5 short, 4 long
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

anagarika wrote:Congratulations!

Stretch ergonomic is so good I'm wondering if the funky blade shape causes it lower sales than Endura or Delica. I enjoy it tremendously! Going clipless is even better, try that!

Hopefully you managed to align the spring holder correctly, and the two nubs are in the hole against the liner.

The process below is for Endura, but applicable for Stretch (or Delica) too: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... icky-part/

PS: Boomer over BF is making custom scale and had the insert holding the spring worked out. Try that: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... RETCH-FRN/
I think the lower sales might be due to the cost. It costs 18% more then the Endura, and at that price point you may as well pony up more and get a manix... That is why I never bought one, figured I may as well get a better steel
death-to-yancey

Thank you! Yeah I finally got it by doing it that way, I found a guy on YouTube that made a video. At first I had the spring upside down because it fit better but of course I knew that wasn't right when the lock wouldn't engage. Then I flipped the spring around and fought with it, but the pressure warped the piece on the backspacer with the "nub" so the other liner wouldn't go on correctly. Oh man it was an ordeal lol I finally got the way in the link to work with a little elbow grease. Not gonna take this bad boy apart very often lol

-George
death-to-yancey

dplafoll wrote:Nice pickup! The Stretch is the only HAP40 sprint I don't either own or have reserved. I'm jealous! If you don't mind me asking, where did you find this one?
Thank you! I picked it up on the Exchange lnib never carried. The day I grabbed it (Friday night) there were 2 or 3 that went up for sale throughout the day. So keep an eye out over there, they really do pop up quite a bit.

-George
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Congratz. HAP40 is awesome imo.
One of my favorites along with 204p,M390,10v and k390
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

death-to-yancey wrote:

Thank you! Yeah I finally got it by doing it that way, I found a guy on YouTube that made a video. At first I had the spring upside down because it fit better but of course I knew that wasn't right when the lock wouldn't engage. Then I flipped the spring around and fought with it, but the pressure warped the piece on the backspacer with the "nub" so the other liner wouldn't go on correctly. Oh man it was an ordeal lol I finally got the way in the link to work with a little elbow grease. Not gonna take this bad boy apart very often lol
That guy probably is ewerstruly, with his purple Endura. ;)
death-to-yancey

anagarika wrote:
death-to-yancey wrote:

Yup that was him! Lol I was beginning to lose it before I found that video, so THANK YOU ewerstruly! I wasn't even looking at who put the videos up at that point I was too busy pulling my hair out lol!

-George
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

death-to-yancey wrote:
anagarika wrote:
death-to-yancey wrote:

Yup that was him! Lol I was beginning to lose it before I found that video, so THANK YOU ewerstruly! I wasn't even looking at who put the videos up at that point I was too busy pulling my hair out lol!
Glad you did well :)
He's Unit on this forum. You can PM him :cool:
Parkourdude

Post by Parkourdude »

I'm waiting for the vg10 stretch to be released.

The Delica is a little too short and the endure is a little to long.

I'm really hoping the stretch hits that sweet spot for me in terms of size. I have no doubts that the ergos will be a dream.
death-to-yancey

Parkourdude wrote:I'm waiting for the vg10 stretch to be released.

The Delica is a little too short and the endure is a little to long.

I'm really hoping the stretch hits that sweet spot for me in terms of size. I have no doubts that the ergos will be a dream.
I think you'll love it, I was strongly considering an endura after getting to handle a delica. I really liked the delica, and will own one at some point I'm sure, but I was looking for a little more blade. Once I got the stretch I knew I made the right choice. It's a lot of blade in a not so huge package. The endura being even larger in handle and blade it would've been too large for me to want to carry my pocket. Add to that the ergo's (did I mention the ergo's on this thing!!? :D ) and I'm loving the stretch more and more everyday.

-George
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

That is a big knife and scary sharp.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

dplafoll wrote:Nice pickup! The Stretch is the only HAP40 sprint I don't either own or have reserved. I'm jealous! If you don't mind me asking, where did you find this one?
Hey Patrick, Kenny @ Sooner State Knives still has them listed in stock, $123, I've picked up a few pieces from him in the past, good guy and fast shipping. :)

http://www.soonerstateknives.com/others ... models.htm
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

farnorthdan wrote:
Hey Patrick, Kenny @ Sooner State Knives still has them listed in stock, $123, I've picked up a few pieces from him in the past, good guy and fast shipping. :)

http://www.soonerstateknives.com/others ... models.htm
Thanks! :D
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

And... this is how I made my user HAP40 Stretch even MORE awesome; switched out scales from a 'Seconds Sale' Damascus/Nishijin that Mrs Toxophilus got me for Christmas :cool:
Attachments
HAP40NishijinB.jpg
HAP40NishijinA.jpg