Alot of sprint runs in 2016?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ScreenKiller

Alot of sprint runs in 2016?

Post by ScreenKiller »

Hey guys,

So i've been collecting for years now. Left the production scene for a couple of years since i moved to custom knives.
But after carrying my PM2 i had the other day because well..... it was just sitting there.
I bought like 4 sprints and 1 on preorder ( the cf s90 154cm) one. Because it made me realise how great value a PM2 is even sprint runs.

My question is it seems like spyderco released alot of exclusives this year. Am i right?
Or does it just look like that because alot of them got released the last couple of months?

Also with the PM3 comming (delayed now to jan.) in december. Do you guys think they are going to do less PM2 sprints and more PM3 sprints?
twinboysdad

Re: Alot of sprint runs in 2016?

Post by twinboysdad »

I think the PM3 will be wildly popular and expect it to be sprinted. Whether or not that affects PM2 sprints, I believe the market will dictate. Lots of guys don't sweat the PM2 size, but because I am in well fitted business casual 5 days a week- a PM3 is much more to my likings. If I were in jeans it would probably be the opposite
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

twinboysdad wrote:I think the PM3 will be wildly popular and expect it to be sprinted. Whether or not that affects PM2 sprints, I believe the market will dictate. Lots of guys don't sweat the PM2 size, but because I am in well fitted business casual 5 days a week- a PM3 is much more to my likings. If I were in jeans it would probably be the opposite

Agreed, that's exactly what I'm looking forward to as well with the PM3.

As far as Sprints are concerned, I'm sure there will be a fair number coming our way in 2017. There are probably some coming out that we are not even yet aware of.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am concerned that the PM3 handle is going to be too small in the actual gripping area for many people.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Doc Dan wrote:I am concerned that the PM3 handle is going to be too small in the actual gripping area for many people.
Really? I think Spyderco would have that figured out. The Para 3 seems very spec-comparable to the Positron, which does seem small to some, but the Para has a choil which should give considerably more handle space.
:spyder: Turtles can have knives too, right? :spyder:
Aus-8 Delica 1 ATS-55 Endura UK Penknife
Positron Mamba Blurple PM2
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I am going to be all over sprint/exclusive PM3's. With the expansion of the golden factory the production is going to keep increasing
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Doc Dan wrote:I am concerned that the PM3 handle is going to be too small in the actual gripping area for many people.
So it will be the exact opposite of the PM2 then? I find the PM2 to be gluttonous in handle especially considering blade ratio.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I find the handle of the PM2 to be a little tight. I prefer the Military because of this. I like the new gen 4 Delica handle and the older versions not as much, because of this same issue. I have "tiny" hands. ;)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

twinboysdad wrote:
So it will be the exact opposite of the PM2 then? I find the PM2 to be gluttonous in handle especially considering blade ratio.
If it were any smaller I'd have the same issue with the Para 2 that I did with the original. I wouldn't have a 4 finger grip without using the index choil. I choose the 2 over the 1 10/10 times for that reason alone.

I have no interest in the Para 3 but I think it will be a huge success. Good to see Spyderco cater to fans of the Para 2 design that prefer a smaller knife!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If the Dragonfly has enough grip, I think the PM3 will. Seems like everyone loves the 3.5" blade length, so I wonder if it'll be that popular. I know it's in my size, but the Para 2 always pinches me, so I just don't know.
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Jazz wrote:If the Dragonfly has enough grip, I think the PM3 will. Seems like everyone loves the 3.5" blade length, so I wonder if it'll be that popular. I know it's in my size, but the Para 2 always pinches me, so I just don't know.
Amen. The Caly3.5 takes the PM2's lunch money before school in every way for me. I do see the PM2's handle being more advantageous for true hard extended use, but I like never do that in my day to day and if I know in advance a Fixed blade gets used. I coined the phrase "almost an Endura blade jammed into almost a Delica handle" regarding the C3.5 and still maintain it is a far better EDC than the PM2 which is more like a Delica blade on a Stretch handle to me. I also like lock backs better than compression so know that I am a strange bird. All this said, the PM3 should be much closer to the Delica in footprint and we all know that makes it EDC gold.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I think it will be the actual handle design, not overall handle length that will keep it out of my hands. If the back end was flattened out so it could be used as part of the gripping surface, then it would probably be a winner.

BTW, I do not have a Caly 3.5. How much longer is the handle than the Caly3?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Doc Dan wrote:I think it will be the actual handle design, not overall handle length that will keep it out of my hands. If the back end was flattened out so it could be used as part of the gripping surface, then it would probably be a winner.

BTW, I do not have a Caly 3.5. How much longer is the handle than the Caly3?
Barely noticeable. An engineering marvel
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I'd like to see more Caly 3.5 sprints. Maybe a Hap40 version like the Caly 3?
vivi

Post by vivi »

How about a full sized Caly sprint? I missed out on every run of those.

Huge fan of the ergos on the UKPK, Caly 3 and 3.5, but all of those knives are too small for me to grip behind the index choil and get a full grip. I always felt like a full sized Caly would be perfect for someone with big hands like me who loves everything aout the Calypso ergonomics and blade shape.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Vivi wrote:How about a full sized Caly sprint? I missed out on every run of those.

Huge fan of the ergos on the UKPK, Caly 3 and 3.5, but all of those knives are too small for me to grip behind the index choil and get a full grip. I always felt like a full sized Caly would be perfect for someone with big hands like me who loves everything aout the Calypso ergonomics and blade shape.
If you look hard, the last brown G10 Caly is available still. Biggest thing for me is the size is Military-esque but the Spydie hole is Dfly size. Lot of win but lot a meh, so I passed on the last run. And the Caly 3.5 is the best of breed. Think of it like a 75 lb German Shepherd that does everything well...would the same dog at 100 lbs be better at the same tasks? Marinate on that for a minute
vivi

Post by vivi »

Caly 3.5 is too small to four finger grip behind the choil for me though :)

I can live with a small hole, but not a small handle.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

ScreenKiller wrote:Hey guys,

So i've been collecting for years now. Left the production scene for a couple of years since i moved to custom knives.
But after carrying my PM2 i had the other day because well..... it was just sitting there.
I bought like 4 sprints and 1 on preorder ( the cf s90 154cm) one. Because it made me realise how great value a PM2 is even sprint runs.

My question is it seems like spyderco released alot of exclusives this year. Am i right?
Or does it just look like that because alot of them got released the last couple of months?

Also with the PM3 comming (delayed now to jan.) in december. Do you guys think they are going to do less PM2 sprints and more PM3 sprints?
Yes, there were a lot of Sprints and Exclusives this year compared to previous years, especially Golden made models. Probably has something to do with the completion of the factory expansion and subsequent increase in production capacity.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Vivi wrote:Caly 3.5 is too small to four finger grip behind the choil for me though :)

I can live with a small hole, but not a small handle.
Gotcha. I will say that I almost never grip mine without the chili though. Again, look around a bit and there are still new specimens of the last brown G10 sprint available. It should check all of the boxes you mentioned