$300 dilemma

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: $300 dilemma

Post by elena86 »

Bowie.Enough said.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

This definitely won't be my last purchase so I see all of these in my future. The question is what's next?

Mako109, I have considered a Military. I just can't stand the large triangle clips, I don't like how they look or how high the knife rides. It is also probably border line too big for EDC for me. That is also why I have avoided the value folder line in general. I have also considered adding a Stretch to this "next" list. It is such a utilitarian knife and there aren't any nicer versions with CF or titanium. We need a Sprint Stretch with CF.

I have handled a GB2 and might be able to get my hands on a Slysz this week to see if I like it. I probably will not be able to get my hands on an Advocate to handle. Unless the Slysz knocks me off my feet I will most likely get the Advocate.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Miso

Post by Miso »

Spydiechef is another very-well constructed Slysz knife. Very sturdy yet thin slicer.

Miso
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

I already have a Spydiechef and love it.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Miso

Post by Miso »

Oops. I overlooked your signature. Nice collection. Spydiechef is my all-time favorite.

Miso
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I bought and sold the GB2 and the Mantra. In my medium hand, I didn't love the ergos of the GB2 and found the lock difficult to disengage. I also have grown tired of those shiny laminate carbon fiber scales.
The Mantra had the bearing bumpiness and the knife felt a bit flimsier than I expected.
I recently bought a used Slysz Bowie on the exchange. It's not the best value to be sure but it is a very nice folder and comparable to a Sebenza (which I briefly owned). The Bowie fits my medium hand perfectly. I think an XL hand might feel cramped.
I ordered the Advocate and I'm looking forward to it!
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

What is the "exchange"? Is it part of this forum?
More CBBL please!
nick800

Post by nick800 »

BladeForums knife exchange
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

nick800 wrote:BladeForums knife exchange
Right
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Slysz Bowie. Why? Because it's the oldest, and probably most likely to be discontinued soonest. So you take the opportunity to pick one up now, at normal prices, while you have the money to do so.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

That is a good point, dplafoll, I will have to keep that in mind.
More CBBL please!
mb1

Post by mb1 »

rybu0305 wrote:One thing that gives me reservations about the Slysz is paying $300 for XHP when I could go get a 3.5" ColdSteel Code4 for $75 bucks. I know, I am paying for fit and finish but it's a big spread.

Thanks for the input.
You have accurately noted the diminishing returns of spending more for a higher end knife. If value and "bang for your buck" are more important to you, then I think you'd be happier with the sub-$200 choices. Only you can determine if the fit and finish is worth the extra $. It's a value for what it is, but may not be valuable to you (if that makes sense).

I would suggest you find a Bowie to handle. It is an absolutely fantastic knife. For me personally, when I finally held one, I found the spydie hole was smaller and obscured enough (different enough from what I'm used to) that I thought it might bug me. And for EDC, I don't care for so much upsweep in a tip. That kind of stuff is just personal preference, so maybe you can find one to try before you buy.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Yea. I am going to get to handle a Slysz tomorrow. I should know after that what I want to do.
More CBBL please!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

rybu0305 wrote:I have also been leaning towards the Slysz while I have the money but that will be the biggest knife purchase I've ever made. Seems like I could get more value from the others. I am keeping an eye out for Advocates, they should be in stock at resellers soon. I don't mind flippers but I prefer the Spyder hole so I am not interested in the Mantra or Advocate for their flipping feature but for for design and steel.

To those suggesting the Slysz. What is it about the Slysz Bowie that you love so much?

I want something that feels a little bigger than my other knives. I have handled a GB2 and it definitely feels bigger and longer. I think the Advocate will feel similar. But when I look at pics of the Slyz beside a Manix or PM2, which I own, it doesn't look bigger at all, just more cutting edge.

mako109, this will be an EDC user in my rotation. I usually carry something smaller too like a cadet. As mentioned above I do want something a little larger than my other blades. I don't have any M4 yet either.

One thing that gives me reservations about the Slysz is paying $300 for XHP when I could go get a 3.5" ColdSteel Code4 for $75 bucks. I know, I am paying for fit and finish but it's a big spread.

Thanks for the input.
The size of the Bowie is perfect IMO, its not a small knife (feels much bigger than a Sage), but its not too big either. It is definitely shorter in over all length than the Manix and PM2, but the blade is a totally different animal. The Bowie is a great slicer, and the fit and finish is second to none. Contoured Ti handles make all the difference to me, and little touches like the rounded spine and mirrored stone washed blade just complete the package. The Slysz Bowie is still my favorite knife of all time :)

XHP is great daily user steel, arguably one of the best - It is easy to sharpen and very stain resistant, holds and edge a long time and gets scary sharp. I understand what you mean about seeing it in higher priced blades, but I'd honestly prefer it in a knife I use constantly over most exotic options.
However, M4 is probably my favorite steel to date - Impossibly awesome edge retention, lots of character, and once you come to terms with sharpening it you should find it pretty easy to keep screaming sharp.

I've had the Mantra, and the flipper combined with the spydiehole bump just didnt work for me in hand. I think the flipper removal might help with grip placement, and if I ever get another that's the first thing I would do. I still have the Mantra2 and its great, but not the best slicer due to the height of the blade vs thickness, making it feel like a bit of a wedge sometimes.

The GB2 is a very impressive knife with a lot going for it. I agree that it may be the best value in the lineup, and the fit and finish is incredible. It is a very balanced blade with a good feel, but I find it to be more of a show piece than a user personally. The ergos are very good, but I'm yet to be 100% comfortable with the package as a whole for EDC. The GB1 takes my pocket over the GB2 almost every time.

My Advocate has been on pre-order waaay too long... it is my most anticipated knife of 2016. I really like GB designs and M4 and can't see this one being anything but a winner. I was glad to see that it is slightly smaller than the GB2 in pictures, and am really liking the idea of how thin it is.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Bowie. I dislike flippers though... SpyderChef is sweet, but not as refined and classy as the Bowie.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

rybu0305 wrote:One thing that gives me reservations about the Slysz is paying $300 for XHP when I could go get a 3.5" ColdSteel Code4 for $75 bucks. I know, I am paying for fit and finish but it's a big spread.

Thanks for the input.
That's something to be careful in consideration. When the SB came out, XHP was a newer and more premium steel, so it ended up on premium knives. Techno, Slysz Bowie, Domino, Dice, Chubby, Hungarian... The best value in an XHP Spyderco was and is the original Chaparral, and then it's still a $100+ knife.
Aside: I didn't mention the Foundry, because all of the steel on that one is from Carpenter, including the handles. But even then you could argue they could've chosen CTS-BD1.
Then it became more common and the price dropped, and it's now less expensive to the point that Cold Steel can make knives with it. But make no mistake; XHP is still a premium steel in terms of performance. Would I rather see something nicer on a brand-new Spyderco that retails for $175 or more? Yes. But I'm not going to be nearly as picky about XHP on a knife like that compared to S30V or VG10.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

This one..

baldanthony

Post by baldanthony »

Owning all of them, I personally woud say the Advocate. They are all excellent knives, to be sure. You would obviously get more bang for your buck if you went the GB2+Mantra route, and I'm sure you would be happy there as well, but personally, the Advocate checks all the boxes I need in an EDC. It's a little costlier than most other M4 Spydies, but the frame lock paired with the flipper tab acting as a choil, along with the blade shape is making this one heck of an awesome EDC. I carried my GB2 more often than most knives when I wanted an all purpose workhorse, but that one will see much less pocket time now due to the Advocate.

As for the reasons why I don't consider the other two quite as highly, (though only slightly so,) please consider they are purely subjective:
Both Mantras, but especially the 2, feel less 'hard-use'. Great for repetitive tasks like, say breaking down boxes and such, but I felt less secure bearing down any sort of weight behind the handle. I would never advocate batoning with a folder, but I've been known to open pop-top bottles and such with pocket knife handles, beat on frozen gate locks with the butt of the handle, and perform many other non-standard operations with folding knives.
The Bowie just doesn't fit my hand nearly as well as Gayle Bradley's designs. I have smaller/stockier hands. No matter how I hold it, the Bowie tires my hand much faster than the GB2 or Advocate. I suspect with a slightly larger hand, that wouldn't be the case, though. Your mileage may vary!
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Just to close the loop on this I ended up going with a GB2 and the new Cruwear Manix at KC. I got my hands on an Advocate and Slysz and neither swept me off my feet. I am not a big flipper guy so I didn't go with the Advocate. A Slysz is in my future, just not right now. I've been carrying the GB2 for the last week and it is definitely a keeper. Anyone on the fence about a GB2, just get one. The Manix is one of my favorite platforms and the KC exclusive fit perfectly in the budget. Looks like Christmas was Carbon Fiber and and non-stainless steels for me this year. Thanks for all the input.

More CBBL please!
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Congratulations! The GB2 winning people over makes me unreasonably happy.