$300 dilemma

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rybu0305

$300 dilemma

Post by rybu0305 »

You have $300.
These are your only knife choices.

GB2
Mantra
Slysz Bowie
Advocate

Do you get the GB2 and Mantra or is the Slysz Bowie so awesome that you get just the one knife? OR do you get an Advocate and pocket $75?

Decisions decisions.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Holland

Re: $300 dilemma

Post by Holland »

GB2 abd mantra for me. No thought required
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That's a good dilemma to have. ;)

If it were me, I'd get the GB2 and pony up the extra $60 +\- and get the Advocate. The Bowie is nice, but the ergos are a bit off for my hands. (I wear size XL gloves). The Mantra is also nice, but I prefer the blade profile of the Advocate.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Spend the $300 on the Slysz while you have it. It's that nice. Plus it'll be far easier to justify the $160 on the mantra later.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

This got me thinking more than it should have, it's a tough decision.
Since I own the Mantra, I'd have to say Slysz since I've heard so many good things about it.
If I didn't own any, the Mantra and GB2 might win out. I love the size of the Mantra for EDC.
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Bowie all day
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Definitely a tough decision. If it were me I'd go with the GB2 and the Mantra. You'll have a larger knife and a something a little smaller. I have a GB1 and Mantra and I'm really happy with both. However, I've not handled the Slysz Bowie or the Advocate and I'm sure both are worth the price of admission. Tough call!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

It's no secret how I feel...
The only thing I regret about buying the Slysz Bowie... is not buying it sooner ;)
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I usually have specific use requirements which makes selecting an appropriate knife a little bit easier, otherwise it's difficult to make an intelligent recommendation for you. Regarding the Mantra are you considering the Mantra 1 or 2? Anyway for my general EDC needs I would lean towards the Advocate. I find the blade shape and size to be most practical. But when I'm in saltwater environments (on my boat or backpacking along the Olympic Wilderness Coast) for several days, I prefer a stainless steel, so then the Slyze might be the better choice in that situation. Food for thought.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

I have also been leaning towards the Slysz while I have the money but that will be the biggest knife purchase I've ever made. Seems like I could get more value from the others. I am keeping an eye out for Advocates, they should be in stock at resellers soon. I don't mind flippers but I prefer the Spyder hole so I am not interested in the Mantra or Advocate for their flipping feature but for for design and steel.

To those suggesting the Slysz. What is it about the Slysz Bowie that you love so much?

I want something that feels a little bigger than my other knives. I have handled a GB2 and it definitely feels bigger and longer. I think the Advocate will feel similar. But when I look at pics of the Slyz beside a Manix or PM2, which I own, it doesn't look bigger at all, just more cutting edge.

mako109, this will be an EDC user in my rotation. I usually carry something smaller too like a cadet. As mentioned above I do want something a little larger than my other blades. I don't have any M4 yet either.

One thing that gives me reservations about the Slysz is paying $300 for XHP when I could go get a 3.5" ColdSteel Code4 for $75 bucks. I know, I am paying for fit and finish but it's a big spread.

Thanks for the input.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I have to ask...

In what terrible universe are those your only 4 choices?
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Ryno, those are the 4 I am most interested in right now. I have just about everything else I would like to have at the moment.
More CBBL please!
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

That's a good problem to have. My lists never stop at 4.

Of the knives you listed, the GB2 would be the one I'd get. You could always grab the Mantra later, after excitement from the GB wears off, if it wears off.

Full disclosure, I've only handled a GB2 and do not own one. I have a Jade PM2 and didn't want another M4 knife, but everyone should have at least 1 knife in M4.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

rybu0305 wrote:I want something that feels a little bigger than my other knives. I have handled a GB2 and it definitely feels bigger and longer. I think the Advocate will feel similar. But when I look at pics of the Slyz beside a Manix or PM2, which I own, it doesn't look bigger at all, just more cutting edge.
If you want something that feels bigger, then of the 4 you list the GB2 appears to be the one if you don't mind the small forward belly. Personally I find the longer belly like the PM2 more useful. The overall length of the Advocate and Slyze are both close to the Manix 2 and PM2; as a matter of fact the Slyze is slightly shorter (overall) and lighter than a Manix 2 in G10. But here's another option, have you considered the Military? It's a definite jump up in size from what you already own but still lightweight and pocketable; the blade geometry (particularly the belly) is IMO one of the best. It would pair nicely with the smaller knife you carry. The Military is one of Spyderco's most popular models for a very good reason. I have one in CF CPM S90V which I sweetened with a 3rd party deep pocket clip. More food for thought...
Miso

Post by Miso »

I would be split between GB2 and Slysz (I don't like the design of Mantra). I like thin slicers, and GB2 seems to be it (0.118" stock hollow ground blade). But I was also impressed very much by the quality Spydiechef and would like to experience the seemingly better quality of Slysz Bowie. Then, I think I would get GB2, Slysz Bowie, and Advocate, anyway eventually after spending that $300.......

Miso
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Bowie.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Holland wrote:GB2 abd mantra for me. No thought required
Second that.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

This is easy for me. I would get the advocate. It has all the functionality of the GB2 with some of the "style" of the Slysz.

vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Gb2 and mantra, no questions asked.
nick800

Post by nick800 »

Threads like these always cost me money. I just bought a GB2 and Mantra.