Ladybug vs Manbug in ZDP-189

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Still Working

Re: Ladybug vs Manbug in ZDP-189

Post by Still Working »

Well, the little Lady showed up today. Pretty happy with the blade edge and overall size. It is not going to take a ton of abuse but it shaves hair and should be great for the little chores. I have somewhat small fingers and I am able to manipulate this fairly easily, although a lanyard may be in order. It has enough jimping so it shouldn't get away from me. I like the blade shape as well, a decent point and a little less belly. I will probably get a Manbug later too, but I was looking for the smallest usable knife in ZDP-189. Here's a couple of pics showing her and my BRG Stretch. And now they are both in my pocket.
Attachments
1219161501_resized.jpg
1219161503_resized.jpg
s110v "Blurple" Knives: PM 2, Manix 2, Native 5
ZDP-189 Knives: BRG Dragonfly 2, BRG Stretch FRN, Brn G10 Stretch 2, BRG Ladybug,
BRG Manbug
VG-10 Knives: Gray Delica, Brown Endura, Foliage Green Endura combo blade,
Black FRN Stretch, Purple Delica, Black FRN serrated Stretch, Black FRN CE Stretch
H1 Knives: Dragonfly 2
Damascus DPS 15 VG-10 Knives: Titanium Damascus Delica
M4 Knives: Bradley Folder 2
Deep Carry Clips: Casey Lynch, 5 short, 4 long
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

As far as smallest usable ZDP option, you may also want to check out the Dragonfly in ZDP. The edge length is about the same but you get far more grip on the Dragonfly and you get a clip on top of it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Put a small fob on it and it'll open way easier one handed.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Still Working

Post by Still Working »

Dragonfly, got one, small fob, done deal! This little Lady's handle is slightly flexible, I'm sure because it has no liners. That should pose no problem for the light duty it will be used for, but it did surprise me a little. It has already been used to slit the tape seals on some ear bud packaging, held up great! Any chance this tiny little pivot screw will fall out? Sure hope it's got some loctite! (but not red...)
ZDP-189 Knives: BRG Dragonfly 2, BRG Stretch FRN, Brn G10 Stretch 2, BRG Ladybug,
BRG Manbug
Black FRN Stretch, Purple Delica, Black FRN serrated Stretch, Black FRN CE Stretch
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Still Working wrote:Dragonfly, got one, small fob, done deal! This little Lady's handle is slightly flexible, I'm sure because it has no liners. That should pose no problem for the light duty it will be used for, but it did surprise me a little. It has already been used to slit the tape seals on some ear bud packaging, held up great! Any chance this tiny little pivot screw will fall out? Sure hope it's got some loctite! (but not red...)
I would avoid locktite of any kind on these. My first Ladybug had an issue where the entire pivot pin would spin when trying to turn the screw either way and that was without any thread locker apart from whatever Spyderco may have used. This meant the blade tension couldn't be adjusted at all. I would imagine if you used locktite you could easily create the same issue. The pivot pin is D shaped and the FRN is shaped to match, which keep it from spinning but it didn't take much to round it out.
~David
harronek

Post by harronek »

Evil D wrote:I prefer the Ladybug's blade shape (less belly, lower tip) and I carry them on my keys so smaller is better. I really wish they'd make the stainless Bug knives in a better steel, then I'd probably carry a Grasshopper on my keys.
I own a Grasshooper and for a while I did carry it on my keys .
I can't remember ever really using it for anything so the blade steel is irrelevant , every time a cutting opotunity presented itself I quickly whipped out my main EDC Spyderco with enthusiasm and a satisfying justification for having spent so much money on my new wonder knife
The poor old Grasshopper sits in a work desk drawer unused and unseen for months .
Also it is the only Spyderco that I have never once been able to one hand open .
The only Spyderco I own without a pocket clip is a GB Air and it has turned into my special occasion knife where a visible clipped knife isn't always wanted , the Air fits the job description perfectly .
I will admit this thread got me searching Hap40 Manbugs , but sanity prevailed and I grudgingly had to admit to myself my Clipless small Spyderco needs have been beautifully meet with the Air .

Ken
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Jazz wrote:On paper they're so similar, but in hand they're not. Sal knew what he was doing.
Word up!
To me the little difference is a dealbreaker in favor of Manbug, which consequently is the one i own :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Jazz wrote:On paper they're so similar, but in hand they're not. Sal knew what he was doing.
Word up!
To me the little difference is a dealbreaker in favor of Manbug, which consequently is the one i own :)
Yes. There's a bit more handle height and a tiny bit more width. Makes a lot of comfort difference in my hand.
- best wishes, Jazz.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I'll stick with my VG-10 one.
I love bolsters and G10 too much to settle for FRN on this one :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

harronek wrote:
Evil D wrote:I prefer the Ladybug's blade shape (less belly, lower tip) and I carry them on my keys so smaller is better. I really wish they'd make the stainless Bug knives in a better steel, then I'd probably carry a Grasshopper on my keys.
I can't remember ever really using it for anything so the blade steel is irrelevant , every time a cutting opotunity presented itself I quickly whipped out my main EDC Spyderco with enthusiasm and a satisfying justification for having spent so much money on my new wonder knife
The poor old Grasshopper sits in a work desk drawer unused and unseen for months .
Also it is the only Spyderco that I have never once been able to one hand open .
The only Spyderco I own without a pocket clip is a GB Air and it has turned into my special occasion knife where a visible clipped knife isn't always wanted , the Air fits the job description perfectly .
I will admit this thread got me searching Hap40 Manbugs , but sanity prevailed and I grudgingly had to admit to myself my Clipless small Spyderco needs have been beautifully meet with the Air .

Ken

The main reason I carry something smaller like a Ladybug is for those occasions when pulling out my main EDC may be problematic. I tend to carry a Military a lot these days so it's always good to have a less threatening option for those occasions.
~David
harronek

Post by harronek »

Evil D wrote:
harronek wrote:

Ken

The main reason I carry something smaller like a Ladybug is for those occasions when pulling out my main EDC may be problematic. I tend to carry a Military a lot these days so it's always good to have a less threatening option for those occasions.

That does make sense now.
My EDC is usually a Delica of some description which isn't a big knife , if I was toting a large folder a small one riding shotgun would make sense .

Ken
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

harronek wrote:
Evil D wrote:
harronek wrote:

Ken

That does make sense now.
My EDC is usually a Delica of some description which isn't a big knife , if I was toting a large folder a small one riding shotgun would make sense .

Ken
It's kind of a double issue. I live in KY where my concealed carry permit allows me to carry anything I want, but I work in Cincinnati where blade laws are a lot more strict. For the most part I live by the mentality that if you just stay out of trouble it doesn't matter what you're carrying but these days even in the country where I live people are easily offended or at the least made uncomfortable by knives. In my younger years I would have said oh well deal with it I'm not breaking any laws, but it's sometimes just not worth the hassle. It also allows me to save the edge on my main EDC sometimes when my smaller knife is a SE Dragonfly that I don't mind using for something nasty that I know would chew up the edge of my S110V Military and cause me a bunch of reprofiling to fix. There are a lot of benefits to carrying a "companion blade" whether it's a Ladybug or something a bit larger.
~David
Still Working

Post by Still Working »

Oh for cryin' out loud. I just saw a new open box ZDP-189 Manbug for $43. Did I simply resist and move on? No. Now I guess I will be able to verify the great comments here for myself. Do I really need one of each? Maybe...
BRG Manbug
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Still Working wrote:Do I really need one of each? Maybe...
I doubt you actually need one of each but it'll be nice for you to be able to compare the two models.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Still Working

Post by Still Working »

I now have both in hand. Initial impression is there are a few noticeable differences, we will see if they relate to much difference in use. The hardware and pivots appear identical, although the Manbug has a little thicker blade and a tiny amount more steel in the pivot area. Initially I feel very little difference in how solid the blade lockup and handle feel. The Ladybug's handle does feel slightly thinner and the straighter, thinner blade's tip seems both a little more fragile, and slightly more precise.The Manbugs slightly larger spydie hole doesn't seem to make much difference to me, I can open both with one hand. I may post more about differences in use if anyone is interested.
BRG Manbug
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I have - and love - MB's in zdp and Superblue. Lately, however, they've been ousted by the Elmax/Ti Squeak. The extra handle size and clip always seem to win the day. I really should have got that Hap40 Dragonfly ....
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

I had a Ladybug first... loved the blade shape and thought I wouldn't like the Manbug as much,
but now that I have both....
the Manbug is my favorite and the ZDP-189 was worth the upgrade to me I like it a lot.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RobDigi wrote:the Manbug is my favorite and the ZDP-189 was worth the upgrade to me I like it a lot.
I've been using my Manbug ZDP a lot this past week for breaking down stuff for the recycling bin. I usually touch it up on the SM fairly frequently but I decided to let it go for awhile. It's still going strong and easily zipping through cardboard.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice. You know, I can't seem to get the Dragonflies out of my pockets lately. Another excellent design. Their most capable little big knife. Manbug's not far behind, that's for sure.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Still Working

Post by Still Working »

Having all three in ZDP-189, Ladybug, Manbug, and Dragonfly, the Dragonfly wins for most capable for me too. Not a huge difference in actual use for me between the Manbug and the Ladybug, with the Manbug edging the win for for a slightly sturdier build and the Lady bug winning for precision feel with a little less belly and thinner blade and the added bonus of lightest overall and smallest while not giving up any blade size. When giving the pair to others to inspect, most people can barely tell the difference between the two and wonder why the heck I wanted both. (unless I am in the mood for eye rolling I don't tell them just because I like Spyderco knives, and rarely do they appreciate it when I mention they are the smallest ZDP-189 knives I know of.) Maybe if you are on this Forum you would understand...
BRG Manbug