2017 Catalog...what's at the top or your list?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

2017 Catalog...what's at the top or your list?

Post by Surfingringo »

There's a lot of really great new designs in the new catalog. For my money, this is the best set of new models i've seen in several years. I'm curious at what is at the top of everyone's list. What's the 1 or 3 (or 10) that you have to have?

For me the two that are riding high on the list are the fish hunter and the Opus. I got to handle both of those at the Blade show and was very impressed. The fish hunter is a lot like what I always wanted the Aqua Salt to be and it will get a lot of use on the kayak. The Opus was a bit of a surprise. I saw it in the prototype cabinet at the Blade show and wow, what a cool knife. Reminds me a bit of the millie. Ergos are different but VERY good and the edge profile is a bit different too. (I kind of prefer the millie's more traditional belly). Very nice knife though and I will tell you that photos don't do it justice. I think it will be getting some good reviews once folks get it in hand.

So what about you guys?
bh49

Re: 2017 Catalog...what's at the top or your list?

Post by bh49 »

Caly3 and Rhino
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

The wharncliffe Delica and the Para 3 are on the top of the list for me, been waiting for the para 3 for a while. That Hap40 Caly 3 is looking pretty tempting too.
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Caly 3
Lil Nilakka (probably most excited about)
Police 4, really looking forward to trying some K390
Chinook 4,
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
jssaylor2007

Post by jssaylor2007 »

Speaking of the catalog, has anyone gotten theirs yet?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Police 4, SE PM2, SE Ark, and most models on the sprint run page (I've had the Meerkat, not my deal). :)

And no, no sign of the catalog yet!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Lil Nilakka
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Uh.... hey, I know... wharnie Delica! Probably the Li'l Temp, maybe Caly 3, Para 3. Problem is, if I'm wishy washy, I'll miss out on some. I don't know if I want the Caly, but it'll be gone in moments. Para 3 will probably be hard to get like the 2 was. I don't know!
- best wishes, Jazz.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Looking forward to the chef's knife and q-ball.
I also have the meerkat on order.
I know that I will end up with an advocate (it looks too good).
And maybe I should look closer at the opus that was mentioned above.
Also ordering mt23 tomorrow...
Holland

Post by Holland »

The Junction is a must have for me and I will more than likely grab a caly3 as well.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Para 3 and Caly 3 for me. Might go for the Advocate too at some point but not a high priority.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Police4 and Delica4 Wharncliffe, for sure.

Para3, but not until it comes as a sprint or exclusive with a steel I really want. In the meantime, I already have the leaf-shaped version in the Sage5. :p
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Two words "FISH HUNTER"! I have been EAGERLY awaiting this ever since you and Sal mentioned it! WOW! :) :) :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Police 4, Meerkat, Baby Jess Horn. Maybe the Caly 3 but I am disappointed with the additional weight this knife gained.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

ATR 2 and Police 4. The question with these two models is not whether or not I'll buy one, but rather how many I will buy.

Rhyno has my attention but I'm not convinced a comfortable 4 finger grip will be possible, which is my only hesitation with the model. Otherwise it looks like a winner.

Lil Temp 3 caught my eye as well, but the ATR and Police 4 are more my style. I tend to prefer longer blades. Still, I'll probably end up ordering one.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Wharncliffe Delica for sure. I like the idea of the Para 3, but I don't like the PM 2, so, not sure about that one.

Really want some LC200N to come out in an FRN folder (or G10 if no FRN), but it seems I'll need to wait a bit longer for that one.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doc Dan wrote:...Maybe the Caly 3 but I am disappointed with the additional weight this knife gained.
I saw the 4.1 oz weight in the catalog and figured it has to be a mistake. I checked the 2008 catalog and the original/black G10 Caly 3 was listed at 3.0 oz. I find it hard to believe that the Caly HAP40 gained over an ounce in weight. In the current catalog the Native 5 G10 is listed at 3.7 oz and the Manix 2 S110V G10 is listed at 4.2 oz. There's no way that little Caly weighs more than than Native and almost as much as that Manix.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Quite a few have really caught my eye actually. I'd had to say the new Meerkat, Lil' Nilakka, and Junction are the most desired and D'allara 3 and Q ball are definitely up there too!
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

The new D'allara does look nice.

This is going to be an expensive year. ATR, Lil Temp, D'allara, Police.....Spyderco breathing new life into some of my favorite models....
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Police4
HAP40 Caly3
ATR
Junction

I am also all over the Jade M4 Military.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?