Another Forum Knife Idea

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Another Forum Knife Idea

Post by Doc Dan »

How about a Dragonfly 2, orange CTek scales, Elmax blade?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sirens1

Re: Another Forum Knife Idea

Post by Sirens1 »

You had me at Dragonfly 2......then again at orange........and at Elmax.
allory

Post by allory »

That is something I would buy. Forum knife, sprint, whatever.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I like it! Although I think they might have to use a D'Fly like the G10 version in order to use Ctek scales because I don't think the FRN D'fly2 has the necessary frame to support the ctek scales. Regardless of the semantic details, I'd like one. :D
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

That would make me own a dragonfly again
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I like the sound of that, Dan. An Elmax Dragonfly 2 would be fantastic. Maybe for a Flash Batch if not for a Forum Knife? Heck, to be honest, I'm a bit surprised we don't see more Dragonfly Sprints/Specials/Exclusives. I mean, the HAP40 Dragonfly 2 was an immediate success, as was the Superblue Dragonfly 2. I'd imagine that a K390 Dragonfly would sell quite well, as would one in LC200N.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I suspect it would be a hard sell.

Japanese knife, so 1200 piece minimum run size. Granted' Spyderco wouldn't have to put forum markings on all of them, but they'd still have to sell them. Non Japanese steel plus a handle material the maker is probably not familiar with and that, from what I've heard is not the easiest stuff to work with. What could possibly go wrong.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

The Deacon wrote:a handle material the maker is probably not familiar with and that, from what I've heard is not the easiest stuff to work with. What could possibly go wrong.

Good point. Ctek is NOT easy to work with. It's comparatively soft, so one could be forgiven for thinking it will simply cause less wear on belts or tools and should be easy to work with. True it doesn't eat belts and drill bits like Titanium does but, it scratches, dents and melts far more easily than G10 or any of the other materials knife factories are used to using. This creates a list of production complications. Ctek also has to be polished to get it looking good, and a material that's easy to scratch is not helpful when you're required to have a polished finish that shows every imperfection. It's a great custom accent. But production difficulty is probably the reason we don't see any factory knives with Ctek handles.

But hey...if they'd be willing to make it..I'd buy it! :D :spyder:
Studey

Post by Studey »

Call it blue G10 and K390 then. I'm all for more DF2 sprints.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Xplorer wrote:
The Deacon wrote:a handle material the maker is probably not familiar with and that, from what I've heard is not the easiest stuff to work with. What could possibly go wrong.

Good point. Ctek is NOT easy to work with. It's comparatively soft, so one could be forgiven for thinking it will simply cause less wear on belts or tools and should be easy to work with. True it doesn't eat belts and drill bits like Titanium does but, it scratches, dents and melts far more easily than G10 or any of the other materials knife factories are used to using. This creates a list of production complications. Ctek also has to be polished to get it looking good, and a material that's easy to scratch is not helpful when you're required to have a polished finish that shows every imperfection. It's a great custom accent. But production difficulty is probably the reason we don't see any factory knives with Ctek handles.

But hey...if they'd be willing to make it..I'd buy it! :D :spyder:
I bet raffir noble has the same difficulties (though I like the look of raffir more than ctek).
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Bodog wrote:I bet raffir noble has the same difficulties (though I like the look of raffir more than ctek).
Raffir, Kirinite, ShokWood , ShokRes and others like those are all slightly different in their properties but they all present basically the same difficulties. That's why you typically only see these things on custom knife handles...more on high-end custom kitchen knives than anything.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Bodog wrote:I bet raffir noble has the same difficulties (though I like the look of raffir more than ctek).
Possibly, but even assuming it does, there's still the difference between the willingness of Spyderco's Taichung maker to try new and technically challenging things, and the generally excellent results of that. The same cannot always be said for the Japanese.

To put it a different way, the folks in Taichung are world class machinists who happen to make knives. The folks in Japan are world class cutlers, who do their best work when using materials of their choice.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, but if the demand was there it could happen. Our forum would then have a spectacular knife unlike any other forum knife. They would need to give us enough warning for me to save my pennies.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Studey wrote:Call it blue G10 and K390 then. I'm all for more DF2 sprints.
I want you all to close your eyes, and now picture her as a Delica.

*Matthew McConaughey "A Time To Kill" parody
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

twinboysdad wrote:
Studey wrote:Call it blue G10 and K390 then. I'm all for more DF2 sprints.
I want you all to close your eyes, and now picture her as a Delica.

*Matthew McConaughey "A Time To Kill" parody
Ok, torture is not allowed on this forum!

:D

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050