Red loctite

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
adamlau

Re: Red loctite

Post by adamlau »

For me it is not about whether a user is mechanically inclined, or not. I have PB Swiss/MAC/Wiha/Hakko products just as many of you have. It is that I would rather not spend my time removing screws off of every new Spyderco and cleaning off threadlocker just to ge the product in field repairable condition. We should not have to prep a tool in such a manner. I do not pocket my knives. Rather, they lay in an open toolbelt pocket for ease of access/storage. That said, I trust Spyderco to handle this in a manner which is prudent for both them and the consumer.
Last edited by adamlau on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jstrange

Post by jstrange »

I don't really have much of value to add here, but I wanted to add one more data point for consideration in the hopes that Spyderco is still collecting them. I personally have never disassembled a folding knife of any brand and don't see myself doing so in the future.

However, I have adjusted the pivot on almost every folder that I have owned. I also remove or swap pocket clips frequently. I have more Spyderco knives than any other brand. I have also stripped more Spyderco screws simply trying to switch pocket clips than any other brand.

I don't have a problem with red loctite being applied to screw that are not supposed to be adjusted, but have a big problem with it being added to pivots and clip screws. Just my opinion, for whatever that is worth.

I felt I should go back and add that Spyderco customer service has always taken care of me when I needed extra screws or pocket-clips and such. It was much appreciated.
Last edited by jstrange on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:spyder: jstrange
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

Ankerson wrote:I have good high quality tools, but they really aren't cheap so that could be a lot of the issue with some that don't want to spend the extra to get them.
I think perhaps a significant part of the issue is that people are not even aware such tools exist. Based on this fact, an argument might be put forward regarding the competency of this subset of users group to perform actual work on knives.

I know that, for example, many people who belong to the "bolt on crew" are not aware of the existence of such tools. When I turned wrenches at a dealership, the number of people incapable of distinguishing a quality torque wrench from junk was shockingly low.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I've only ever disassembled my delica to put on some Boomer lil' Para scales. I don't see the need to take apart any of my other spydercos, nor will I ever. Different strokes for different folks!
Josh
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

jstrange wrote:I don't really have much of value to add here, but I wanted to add one more data point for consideration in the hopes that Spyderco is still collecting them. I personally have never disassembled a folding knife of any brand and don't see myself doing so in the future. However, I have adjusted the pivot on almost every folder that I have owned. I also remove or swap pocket clips frequently. I have more Spyderco knives than any other brand. I have also stripped more Spyderco screws simply trying to switch pocket clips than any other brand. I don't have a problem with red loctite being applied to screw that are not supposed to be adjusted, but have a big problem with it being added to pivots and clip screws. Just my opinion, for whatever that is worth.

Not everyone can get away without disassembly. I know I've gotten sand/dirt in knives so deep that no amount of water/oil/soap/compressed air would get it all out. Sometimes taking hem apart and washing each part individually is the only way.

Hopefully they change their minds on this particular policy.
jstrange

Post by jstrange »

^
I did not mean to imply that it's never necessary to take one apart, just that I personally don't need to. I can definitely see where there would be circumstances that would require it. To each his own and all that.
:spyder: jstrange
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

IMG_1197.JPG

;) :D
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Surfingringo wrote:
IMG_1197.JPG

;) :D
:D Thread winner!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Evil D wrote:I just keep thinking of all the times I've had to drill and tap and easy out broken bolts when working on my car, and this issue just shrinks in significance. Go try getting the threads out of a 50 year old cylinder head when a rocker stud shears off below the surface​.
Or, indeed, the deep joy that can only come from working 1970s and 80s motorbike brake calipers where every steel bolt either shears off in the aluminium body or pulls the thread with it.

But we digress. ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
palonej

Post by palonej »

Surprising to see so many Spydie 'fans' are not going to be buying any new offerings unless Sal stops the presses and shoots any employees using red loctite.
Get right on that Sal!!
Ugh
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

palonej wrote:Surprising to see so many Spydie 'fans' are not going to be buying any new offerings unless Sal stops the presses and shoots any employees using red loctite.
Get right on that Sal!!
Ugh

Nice troll post. Anything worthwhile to offer? Constructive criticism? Good suggestions? Anything at all to offer? Shoot, even just a decent point of discussion would be cool.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
TALON52

Post by TALON52 »

Bodog wrote:
palonej wrote:Surprising to see so many Spydie 'fans' are not going to be buying any new offerings unless Sal stops the presses and shoots any employees using red loctite.
Get right on that Sal!!
Ugh

Nice troll post. Anything worthwhile to offer? Constructive criticism? Good suggestions? Anything at all to offer? Shoot, even just a decent point of discussion would be cool.
I agree with "palone", I stopped buying Spyderco knives after I picked up a Para 3, but I haven't stopped buying knives! The Red loctite issue just got me to start looking at different knife manufactures. I believe I've spent in excess of $4,000 on other knives since my last Spyderco purchase that don't use Red Loctite, nor do they care if I take them apart!

I enjoy modding different items like, knives, cars, boats, guns, ect, ect. It's fun, and keeps me busy.

I have no problem with Spyderco using Blue Loctite, and I love my spides, I just hope that changes are in the works!

Oh, and if you want to call me a "troll", go for it!
USMC Disabled Veteran 69/73 Semper Fi
sal

Post by sal »

We're having a major meeting on all of these issues on Tuesday.

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Well they could use Purple or none on the Pivot, pocket clip screws and RED on all the rest of the screws.

That would allow for adjustment of the Pivot and changing out the pocket clip without issues.

As for the rest I don't really see the need to take the whole knife apart as per the warranty.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

sal wrote:We're having a major meeting on all of these issues on Tuesday.

sal

Not sure why some are writing off the brand so quickly. This is pretty dam*ed responsive.

Imo this is one of those cases where its better to not have it.
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

So I've yet only read from what seems to be Red Loctite or similar strong threadlocker on models coming out of Golden, Seki or Taichung. Does anyone have information or experience in that regard with models coming out of China or Maniago recently? Just curious.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Squawk wrote:So I've yet only read from what seems to be Red Loctite or similar strong threadlocker on models coming out of Golden, Seki or Taichung. Does anyone have information or experience in that regard with models coming out of China or Maniago recently? Just curious.
My Efficient had clear thread locker and my EdgeMatters Forum K390 Pingo had zero threadlocker.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Taypo

Post by Taypo »

roger-roger wrote:

sal

Not sure why some are writing off the brand so quickly. This is pretty dam*ed responsive.

Imo this is one of those cases where its better to not have it.
In the grand scheme of big manufacturing, you're probably right - 3+ months from the time an issue became an issue to the time they scheduled a meeting about it isnt bad. I'll agree that its progress, but here's my issue:

How many knives are on retail shelves right now with red loctite in them? No clue on production numbers but even if they back off the red tomorrow, they've shipped a whole bunch in the last few months that were assembled that way. I'd say there's probably a pretty good chance of getting red loctite for a while yet, so I'll continue to spend my knife cash elsewhere.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

sal
Thanks, Sal. Between your open handling of this issue and the (overhyped) bearing CQI issue, I've come to respect you, Eric, and the leadership team at Spyderco even more. And Kristi has handled this upswelling of negativity on the forums and Facebook brilliantly and positively (She should probably get a raise in all of this!).

I really do hope that you'll be able to find a solution which works well for everybody involved. We only complain so much because we like your work so much :)
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I am sitting here looking at my 1984 Buck 110, 1988 Schrade LB7 and my 1992 Delica and wonder how i survived, or rather, how they survived for all those years without disassembly. :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.