Civilian vs slash resistant shirt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Civilian vs slash resistant shirt

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Is the aggressive edge and shape of the Civilian enough to scare off any potential attacker, or, if you carry it and pull it out to fend them off, should you be prepared for some such attacker to possibly call your bluff, and you be prepared to use it?
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I'll go with yes to both of those questions.

I just got a Matriarch 2...just because. But I sure would not want to have to actually use it. That's just an ugly situation all the way around if it ever came down to defense with one of these blades.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

This made my day. Obviously that guy had never heard of spyderco before. He'll remember the name.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

So how did the Ronin do?????...This is better than my Old Meat Cutting Tests.....LOL.....Doc:)
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Is the aggressive edge and shape of the Civilian enough to scare off any potential attacker, or, if you carry it and pull it out to fend them off, should you be prepared for some such attacker to possibly call your bluff, and you be prepared to use it?
This is just my opinion.
Never ever assume that presenting a knife will scare off an attacker. If the attacker is serious they may have already attacked you before you even can get to your knife.

I have a good friend who keeps a shotgun in is bed room. He told me that if anyone breaks into his home he will rack the slide and that sound will scare off anybody. I told him it may also give away your position and get you shot.

My point being if you are going to use a knife or gun for self defense don't plan on scaring anyone off because you have a weapon and show it to them. It might work. It might make matters worse.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you for the very wise advice, Archimedes. Yeah I had a friend who told me the same thing about shotguns. He said to me that all one has to do is show a .12 gauge and let the attacker hear the sound of the slide and that'll scare off anyone. The same guy told me, after looking at various Spyderco knives, that if one carries any of the Spyderco Hawkbills, especially the serrated ones, such as the Tasman Salt, or the now-discontinued SpyderHawk, just the sight of such a "vicious looking animalistic blade" (his description) would scare away even the most hardened, seasoned, toughened violent criminal, because "no one in their right mind would want to even dream of getting cut by that sucker."

But your stance is correct. Don't show weapons or tools of self defense unless one intends to go through with defending oneself.
Studey

Post by Studey »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Thank you for the very wise advice, Archimedes. Yeah I had a friend who told me the same thing about shotguns. He said to me that all one has to do is show a .12 gauge and let the attacker hear the sound of the slide and that'll scare off anyone. The same guy told me, after looking at various Spyderco knives, that if one carries any of the Spyderco Hawkbills, especially the serrated ones, such as the Tasman Salt, or the now-discontinued SpyderHawk, just the sight of such a "vicious looking animalistic blade" (his description) would scare away even the most hardened, seasoned, toughened violent criminal, because "no one in their right mind would want to even dream of getting cut by that sucker."
Your friends believes in talismans.

Archimedes nailed it. Could it make someone back off? Sure. Will it? Who knows, and it's a poor idea to rely on that. If you aren't willing to use, and the situation doesn't call for it (opportunity, ability, intent), then you have no business drawing a weapon.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Is the aggressive edge and shape of the Civilian enough to scare off any potential attacker, or, if you carry it and pull it out to fend them off, should you be prepared for some such attacker to possibly call your bluff, and you be prepared to use it?
The others already covered many of the good points, including the shotgun myth. Hilarious thing about the shotgun myth is that our minds have been so brainwashed with every movie ever made from the 1980s onward, you rack that slide...blah..blah...blah people can literally not conceive that it is a silly premise. They are already breaking into your house, being of sound mind is already suspect. Besides what guarantees the sound is one they will recognize? Someone said talismans...also it is a mantra to get the scared through the dark of night. I don't think you can mention a shotgun on a forum without someone saying the "rack the slide" mantra.

"Oh ye, racketh don slide, and verily yon foe resolve meltith. So it is said, so it shall be done."

More important questions than your initial ones Spyderedge are, Is your awareness keen enough to predict future potential points of attack? Is your OODA loop developed and fast enough to realize they are in fact in trouble and need to act.

Hey maybe I shouldn't take the short cut through to proverbial dark alley way...it is dark and no where to run. Hey the proverbial grungy-looking guy approaching you in the mall parking lot asking for a light maybe that is a sign...

Those are more important questions.

As for being prepared, well geez I cut my friend in a demonstration, least I could do is do the same to some attacker. :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Still waiting on Ronin results...zen ...just saying... Oh and thank your friend for being a meat tester...Doc:)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ZrowsN1s wrote:This made my day. Obviously that guy had never heard of spyderco before. He'll remember the name.
Or, he just had confidence in the product he was promoting based on the way it resisted other blades. That confidence turned out to be misplaced, probably because he didn't stop to think that the Civilian's tip makes it something of a cross between a knife and a needle and that "slash resistant" does not necessarily mean "puncture resistant".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
mb1

Post by mb1 »

zenheretic wrote:As for being prepared, well geez I cut my friend in a demonstration, least I could do is do the same to some attacker. :D
So YOU cut him? :eek: :D I would have a hard time putting much force behind a cut in a situation like that. I imagine you didn't cut too hard either. And it STILL got him. Yikes.
- Mark

zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

mb1 wrote:
zenheretic wrote:As for being prepared, well geez I cut my friend in a demonstration, least I could do is do the same to some attacker. :D
So YOU cut him? :eek: :D I would have a hard time putting much force behind a cut in a situation like that. I imagine you didn't cut too hard either. And it STILL got him. Yikes.
Mistakes were made. Probably the dumbest thing I've done in 10 years. Look at the picture. There is blood on the sweater.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

And no, not a lot of effort.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

zenheretic wrote:
mb1 wrote:
Mistakes were made. Probably the dumbest thing I've done in 10 years. Look at the picture. There is blood on the sweater.
Yeah, I was just trying to understand the scene. At first I assumed you had handed the guy your knife...kind of like the video guy slashing his own shirt.
- Mark

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Heh.

Showed this to the wife who keeps her Civilian under her pillow for when I'm away for 'comfort'.... :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/