Buying or Selling: Which is more fun?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dr. Snubnose

Buying or Selling: Which is more fun?

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Let me start this off by saying for those who do not know me....I have been collecting spyderco knives since the 80's and did amass a substantial collection totaling more than 400 knives at one point...As life would have it...I ran into financial trouble and sold the entire collection...plus many of my treasured custom blades(yes.. even every single Ronin I owned). It hurt to let forum knives, my personal favorites, collector's club numbered knives even those with my name or monogram on them... go. It had to be done, it hurt, but no regrets as the Spyderco Brand held it's value and helped me out of a jam. Now that things are getting better financially I find myself secretly buying back the knives, not my knives exactly but the same knives previous owned buy others, but ones that I owned in the past and loved. I can't explain the exhilaration and joy I feel every time I score another.....it's like starting all over again...and it's very exciting. Well I got a Ladybug...make that two...Had to buy a vintage red one!...Oh and an H1 Dragonfly....then there's the Serrated Delica that was graciously gifted to my by a forum member...after I lost mine at the laundry. This week I scored a vintage Native Blk SE, Waved Endura PE....and a NIB Vintage Black Coated Endura SE...only thing missing is my engraved monogram on it...which is it's next mod as soon as a get it. lol.....Seriously, I'm an old guy (or getting there)
I have sold a lot of different kinds of things throughout my life....houses, cars, commercial real estate holdings, stocks, bonds, diamonds, gold etc......none of it hurt the way it hurt when parting with a Spyderco. I am so glad to have the opportunity to regain what I once had...And I got to tell you acquiring them, even if it's one at a time is real fun..... So for me it's the FUN OF BUYING.....What says you Buying or Selling which is more fun......Doc:)
remnar

Re: Buying or Selling: Which is more fun?

Post by remnar »

Buying. Duh! :D :spyder:
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

remnar wrote:Buying. Duh! :D :spyder:
I whole heartily agree....but it's not a no brainer thingy, as one would think. I bet there will be some who think that selling is the cat's meow....Doc:)
IR192

Post by IR192 »

It's weird, but whenever I sell one I find myself being concerned that the new owner won't necessarily appreciate what makes it special. Not very logical, after all, whatever made it special to me has very little bearing on what makes it special to the new owner, but, there you have it.
So, I prefer buying, and whenever possible I prefer to give them away.
Ed
Recently Acquired: Hap40 Endura, Hap40 Stretch, Manix2 LW XHP, PM2 Cruwear, Farid K2, Kiwi4, LC200N Native, Large Lum Folder, Manix2 Cruwear.

In The Works: 204P Military, Nirvana, Slysz Bowie.
-Ed
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Buying is way more fun. But selling can be exciting too. Like when I'm selling off a few to reach a specific amount I need to cover the next Spyderco. That feels great. Setting out a plan in action and then having everything work out just like I had hoped.

If I could I would never sell another Spyderco ever again. But until that day, selling off ones I don't carry very often allows me to continue making new purchases.

I'm glad you're getting back what you've lost. I know what that's like. Out of all the knives I've sold the ones I've gone back to replace have been the caly 3.5, ukpk (various), karahawk, Yojimbo 2, nilakka. One day I'll cross paths with a bob Lum tanto again..
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Definitely buying, I haven't sold a single one that I've purchased, given away a few but never sold(I have picked up the occasional piece for forum friends). I'm sure some day I will thin the collection.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Definitely buying for me! I haven't sold any yet. I keep telling myself that I need to thin the herd a little but still haven't done so.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'm a hopeless shopaholic, so I really enjoy buying. I've never sold a Spyderco, but like Dan, I've given several away. I would honestly say that it is as equally enjoyable gifting Spydercos as it is purchasing Spydercos for myself. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For me the worst part about selling isn't even losing something I like, it's dealing with buyers.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BTG

Post by BTG »

Haven't sold one yet, so I gotta say buying. Like you, would if I had to, but I don't want to.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Buying is fun. Selling is necessity plus what David said.
Evil D wrote:For me the worst part about selling isn't even losing something I like, it's dealing with buyers.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Buying, I'd say. Even the process of planning to buy is addictive. Putting aside some disposable capital, thoroughly researching options, watching countless YouTube reviews, weighing said options, remembering that one knife you meant to buy two years ago but didn't, reconsidering which one you actually want to buy, and so on.

I've never sold a knife, but I've traded several. It was an exciting process. Ultimately though it turned out to be like buying a knife, but just with extra steps.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I love getting a new knife.

I still have no problem selling knives. I have had knives I swore I would never sell and then sold them. If I needed the money I would sell every knife I own right now. I have reached the point where I feel like I have to many knives so I may purge some in the new year. I have always wanted a to have just the right amount and always end up with what I feel is to many.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Doc, my old spyderholic friend. The easy answer is buying, but I'd say it really depends on why you are selling. For example selling for survival is not fun at all, selling to ease the burden of material goods, especially when you see the delight on the next generations Spyderholics when they score a "grail" is a great thing. I'm learning I really didn't need all those knives, they are finding better homes now.

Ronin!
jdw

Post by jdw »

SpyderNut wrote: I would honestly say that it is as equally enjoyable gifting Spydercos as it is purchasing Spydercos for myself. :)
I couldn't agree more. Part of the fun of collecting to me is sharing the experience. It is particularly fun when you gift a Spyderco to someone who is not familiar with them. They are always amazed by the quality and design, "Oh, that's why you like those so much." :D
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Buy two. Wait, get both. Wait, what was the question? Oh yeah, I like buying...
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd agree that selling for survival sucks. Been there, done that, not with knives but with other hobby items.

But even when I've sold something for less painful reasons, I definitely find buying mire enjoyable. It's funny, but no matter how much I want a particular knife, once I've paid for it I never worry for a second about whether or not it will arrive. Sell one, and I worry from the moment I put it in the mail until the moment the buyer lets me know it's in his hands and he's satisfied with it. Have a ton of stuff I could sell and never miss, but don't, for just that reason.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Buying a :spyder:, or any other brand of knife, is the most fun whether the knife is for me or a gift to someone else.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I prefer giving, but sometimes getting a steal on a buy is sweetness :D
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

I like selling actually, but only for the reason that I know I'm getting more funds to get something newer and shinier.... :spyder: