PM2 Spyderedge question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sirens1

PM2 Spyderedge question

Post by Sirens1 »

Hi everyone,

So I noticed these up for pre-order and have been wanting one for a long time. Are these a limited run? If these don't sell out too fast I probably won't pre-order. Thanks a lot in advance for any answers/replies.
Johnnie1801

Re: PM2 Spyderedge question

Post by Johnnie1801 »

From the 2017 catalog it looks like they are standard production so you don't have to worry about not getting one
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That's great news :) I wonder if they've considered the C-36 Military in full SE? There is truly something very special about those GOLDEN, CO USA Earth models in Spyderedge. Most of them are extremely rigid and perform to excellent standards.

I can remember back in the day ( pre-2005) when most every Spyderco folder was available in Spyderedge. I hope this is a screaming success as I believe it will be.
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

Twice today I've read "pre-2005". What happened in 2005?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I'm interested as well... Spyder edge PM2, mmmmmmm
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Leadsled wrote:Twice today I've read "pre-2005". What happened in 2005?
If you're talking about that other thread that I launched a couple of days ago then I can explain. Actually I picked "pre-2005" arbitrarily because that's when I feel that Spyderco sort of went through a transition with many of their models. But arguments could be made for 2003, 2009 and to a large degree 2012.

Most of the "old school Spyders" that I appreciate the most were introduced during those times ( 1996-2005). Not exactly sure when the Paramilitary was introduced but it's big Brother the C-36 Military model was bestowed on us in 1996 and was available in ATS-34 and 440V blade steels at that time period.

Many of the super-classic Spyders that are the most coveted were mostly introduced during that time period. My personal GOLDEN Era Of Spyders is (1998-2003). That includes many of the great collaborations.

The Military and Paramilitary models were IN HOUSE designs.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I just heard about the SE PM2. I have several PE models and think I need a SE, and a Millie to match!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Scottie3000 wrote:I just heard about the SE PM2. I have several PE models and think I need a SE, and a Millie to match!
Yeah if their going to do a PARA in SE then it's just proper and appropriate to do at least one version of the C-36 Military model in SE as well. I had one of the old school SE Paramilitary models with the black blade. It was a handsome devil but I ended up trading it for a couple of gray Matriarch models ( South African Sprint Run).

There have been so many of the guys here on the forum petition for a new Spyderedged Military model as well as a Spyderedge Para. Even if they just do Sprint Runs of each model it will be a nice set of blades for users and collectors alike.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

JD Spydo wrote:That's great news :) I wonder if they've considered the C-36 Military in full SE? There is truly something very special about those GOLDEN, CO USA Earth models in Spyderedge. Most of them are extremely rigid and perform to excellent standards.

I can remember back in the day ( pre-2005) when most every Spyderco folder was available in Spyderedge. I hope this is a screaming success as I believe it will be.
I'm a bit confused here JD, there certainly has been SE versions of the Military in all its standard steels. Here's my S30V in a set of orange scales.

I'm super excited to see the PM2 in SE!!! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:That's great news :) I wonder if they've considered the C-36 Military in full SE? There is truly something very special about those GOLDEN, CO USA Earth models in Spyderedge. Most of them are extremely rigid and perform to excellent standards.

I'm a bit confused here JD, there certainly has been SE versions of the Military in all its standard steels.

I'm super excited to see the PM2 in SE!!! :D
You're absolutely right about the fact that there have been C-36 Military as well as the PARA model both were available in Spyderedge in the past. But it's been quite a long time ago since they were both discontinued unfortunately. I don't think they've had either model in Spyderedge since the early days of S30V introduction to the best of my memory.

What I'm getting at is there seems like an increase of many of the forumites who very much want to see the return of both models in Spyderedge. Especially in the past 12 to 18 months I've been seeing it on forums other than this one as well. Both models are built rugged which I believe gives a Spyderedged blade an advantage. Yeah there have been SE models in ATS-34, 440V and in the early days of S30V but it's been quite a long time and it's return is way overdue IMO. :)