HELP broke tip on PM2 sprint!!! Life's over or not..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SC_PATRIOT

HELP broke tip on PM2 sprint!!! Life's over or not..

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Just broke about 1/32 of the tip off my EDC PM2 in XHP!
Now in reality I have a backup in the safe but that one im hiding for my son till later in life. EDC varies with that one and the Native in full serrations. Now what to do till I get the tip reprofiled?
It is the holidays and I may need to just pickup another PM2. Is this the right course of action ! :D
Evil D

Re: HELP broke tip on PM2 sprint!!! Life's over or not..

Post by Evil D »

Take a big deep breath, sharpen it out, move on.

#firstworldproblems lol

You can just let it go and it will go away with time and sharpening, or reprofile it until it's gone, or grind the spine down until it's gone.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

That sounds minor. It will sharpen out over time or you can grind the spine down. I am a fan of bringing the spine down to bring tips back myself. I think tip maintenance is just a part of regular maintenance and at least for me and how I use my knives it needs to be done every once in awhile.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Normally if a tip were to break I would grind the spine down but your XHP blade has a black coating so if you mess with the spine it will no longer be coated like the rest of the blade. Sharpening the edge will get you there. As D suggested I wouldn't even try to get it all at once. Just sharpening normally as needed will fix the tip eventually.

Best regards,
Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea that is fully reasonable. I don't think I would make it a tanto quite yet :)
cliff_B07

Post by cliff_B07 »

pics?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Normally, I prefer grinding the spine to repair a tip because it preserves the factory edge shape. Sharpening the edge to fix the tip sweeps the edge up more than I like. That said, in this case, with only 1/32" gone on a coated blade, sharpening the edge to regain the tip seems wiser.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Bill1170 wrote:Normally, I prefer grinding the spine to repair a tip because it preserves the factory edge shape. Sharpening the edge to fix the tip sweeps the edge up more than I like. That said, in this case, with only 1/32" gone on a coated blade, sharpening the edge to regain the tip seems wiser.
Yup, Bill lays out your choices pretty well right there, assuming you don't want to just let it go and sharpen naturally until the whole edge recedes to meet the new tip of the spine, possibly preserving the original curve of the edge if you're a very consistent sharpener!

Though we are all assuming you have the more recent DLC coated version. Is this correct? Or do you have the original uncoated XHP? I'm guessing since you have two, they are probably the DLC because unless you managed to buy two of the originals whenever they were done, you paid a pretty penny for two of those on the secondary market!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."