Official Petition for a Premium Tenacious

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a higher end Tenacious?

Absolutely!
56%
Nope, I'm fine with 8Cr13Mov/China
44%

Total votes: 102

Evil D

Re: Official Petition for a Premium Tenacious

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:Doesn't enthuse me.

Just as the flipper sensation has clouded one of Spyderco's genuine claims to fame, gentrifying the affordable Tenacious will confuse Spyderco's best invitation to its wondrous brand.

These opinions are minority ones, I know.

I never understood why people feel a variation of a knife is somehow threatening to the original. This mentality suggests that a sprint run would also jeopardize the original model, which makes no sense. Nobody suggested that the original Tenacious be replaced by a more expensive version. It's just another option just as a sprint is another option.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:Doesn't enthuse me.

Just as the flipper sensation has clouded one of Spyderco's genuine claims to fame, gentrifying the affordable Tenacious will confuse Spyderco's best invitation to its wondrous brand.

These opinions are minority ones, I know.

I never understood why people feel a variation of a knife is somehow threatening to the original. This mentality suggests that a sprint run would also jeopardize the original model, which makes no sense. Nobody suggested that the original Tenacious be replaced by a more expensive version. It's just another option just as a sprint is another option.
Well, then I must be wrong.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JimP

Post by JimP »

I'm split between the choices, happy to still have it made in China with the same fit and finish but would like to see it offered with a different steel and scale option to keep the Tenacious fresh....this would result in a smaller price increase and make it easier to justify sitting along side the regular model.
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Kinda what CRKT and Kershaw have already done with Squid and Skyline? I think this is totally doable.
Especially regarding the new 2017 catalog, the S30V Seki City models hint knife origins no longer strictly limit steel choices.
Plus there IS a gap for Spyderco liner locks between the current value series retailing at $40-50 and the sages starting from $100+.
You can argue that Delica, Endura, Native LW and BD1 Manix are already there, but the vacuum of edc-friendly liner lock knives around $60-80 from Spyderco does still drive some customers away―they turn to Kershaw Blur or Buck Vantage Pro for the better S30V steel at this price point, even if they prefer Spyderco ergonomics or cutting performance.
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

FCM415 wrote:Too bad it has yet to happen. Remember the one time discussed 52100 Tenacious? How about the time when Sal told us that a planned better steel Tenacious was scrapped because he didn't like the HT inconsistency (when they use non- China steels) in China facilities that he dealt with at the time. Maybe things change now and they can manage to HT (beyond BD1) to Sal's standards?

BTW, I think that they intend to have the Polestar fill a role somewhat of a higher end updated Tenacious.
Same concern on the HT here, currently in my mind a large Cat is probably the easier way to go.
But yeah let's see how the new Polestar works out first.
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am 100 percent with you, David! While the Chinese-made Spyderco Tenacious (and Byrds but that is a different topic!) are very good quality for that type of knife, I would like very much to see this happen, as you stated, a premium-quality Tenacious, as well as Resilience and others.

One concern I would have is this but it would still be worth it: How much price increase would there be? But it would definitely be worth it, as far as I can see.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, lets pretend a completely new model came that was. made in Golden with typical Golden materials that very closely resembled the Tenacious. I wonder how people's opinion of that would differ compared to this.
~David
death-to-yancey

Post by death-to-yancey »

I'd definitely be in! I've always loved the blade shape is super useful, so upgrading the edge retention would be a winner for sure.
Thanks to all members, old and new.

-George
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:Well, lets pretend a completely new model came that was. made in Golden with typical Golden materials that very closely resembled the Tenacious. I wonder how people's opinion of that would differ compared to this.
I am all about that D. I want a Tenacious with a liner lock as good as the Millie and with diggity dank steel
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Evil D wrote:Well, lets pretend a completely new model came that was. made in Golden with typical Golden materials that very closely resembled the Tenacious. I wonder how people's opinion of that would differ compared to this.
Doesn't that sound like a sub-millie 2? ;)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I would say that this isn't being received very well as the poll is and has been sitting around the 50/50 mark. Doesn't bode well for a premium tenacious. In a way Spyderco is already experimenting with this idea by offering some Byrd knives with bd-1 steel as well as those other models with titanium scales. perhaps that's the real test for a premium Tenacious. If those do well in sales, this could happen one day.

Personally I don't really see the point. Raise the price of this knife and you might as well jump to a PM2 or Manix. Not only do you get better steel, everything else gets a bump in quality as well, including the knifes design. It could create confusion for the masses if this knife was offered with other steels. Sure we knife folk would get it but the average consumer at Walmart probably wouldn't. That probably has to be taken into account now that they are being sold there.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

While we're on the discussion of Tenacious variants, would you want a Tenacious with an FRN handle, or, would you prefer to stick to the G10?
acab70

Post by acab70 »

+ 1
frn handle
ImageX

Post by ImageX »

A company only has so much production capacity to invest in and variety doesn't always translate to profits. The Tenacious is a value folder and making it with premium steel may just cannibalize profits from other models. Spyderco addicts who want it all make up only a small percentage of overall sales.
nick800

Post by nick800 »

Yes please. I'll buy several. Keep the G10 handle.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Donut wrote:As far as I know, the factory using Carpenter BD-1 in China is a different factory than the one making the Tenacious.

I would consider the Raven a premium Tenacious. But yeah, I'd love to see either with M4 or something.
Word up on the Raven 2.
Can't see a winning future for a improved Tenacious as it would clash with exisiting models.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

The blade edge going back to the handle is a feature that keeps the Tenacious line unique to some people which is why they don't regard a higher end version as "might as well buy a Para2 or Manix."

In this sense, the Polestar's lack of a finger choil and edge, makes it more akin to the Tenacious than the Raven.
Last edited by FCM415 on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I still don't understand how this new knife would get in the way so much. How many new models come out each year? Does the S110V Military confuse buyers who are looking for the standard S30V Military? How many versions of the Delica have their been, ranging from the standard version which can be had for $65 all the way up to the 25th Anniversary version which retailed for $530. How do all those variants not cause the issues you guys say a better Tenacious would cause? This is the exact same idea.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

FCM415 wrote:The blade edge going back to the handle is a feature that keeps the Tenacious line unique to some people which is why they don't regard a higher end version as "might as well buy a Para2 or Manix."

In this sense, the Polestar's lack of a finger choil and edge, makes it more akin to the Tenacious than the Raven.
This is what surprises me so much about this topic. The idea that stepping over to a Para or other more expensive model automatically means a better knife overall, which couldn't be further from the truth. If it were so easy to dismiss by saying "well just buy this model instead" then the Spyderco catalog would look a lot more like a CRK catalog. It's almost as if people don't believe the knife could ever be worth Para 2 money regardless of the materials put into it. Those are the same people who still see a Shelby Mustang as an over priced Mustang despite the list of upgrades.
~David
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

David, I am devoted to my Stretch and Delica and appreciate all the variations offered. Some are $200, some are $60... All great.

Those blue and green Tenacious exclusives sell out to this day. I bet a nice steel Tenacious will sell well.