Favorite Pre-2005 Spyderco Model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Favorite Pre-2005 Spyderco Model?

Post by JD Spydo »

OK most all of you who know me at all know that I'm a big fan of most of the older Spyderco models. And I've said on several occasions that I firmly believe that Spyderco's GOLDEN Years are 1998-2003. I won't waver from that time period personally because most of my very favorite Spyderco IN HOUSE models and favorite Spyderco Collaboration models came forth from that very era :cool:

I know that there are a lot of you great guys and gals who haven't been with us here at Spyderville very long in comparison to some of us long term Spyder-Addicts :rolleyes: But I think many of you all are aware of some of the older models from being here on the Forum.

I've even going to stretch this survey out a little further than I have in the past. I'm going to go out a couple of years further than I have in the past all the way out to 2005 and I'll even go all the way back to 1996 to cover some of those GOLDEN year Spyders. So Which PRE-2005 models do you all like the best and why?? Also which models from 1996 to 2005 models do you like well enough to talk about them or would desire to own and use? And Yes ZENHERETIC we'll chat about your dearly beloved RONIN model too :D OK let's talk Old School Spyders :cool:
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Can I cheat and say Military even though the newest iteration is my favorite? ;)

I can't add much else. I didn't discover the brand until '05 and the classics are usually out of my price range.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jdw

Re: Favorite Pre-2005 Spyderco Model?

Post by jdw »

FRN SE Cricket. Hands down. It can do 90 percent of the tasks that I actually
need that don't include cooking and it can even do some of those.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Three of my four favorites started life before 2005. The burgundy micarta Jester was made in '02, the Kiwi began life in '03, and the first version of the Stretch slipped in just under the wire in late '04. I've had one of those Jesters on my keyring since '03. Picked up the first of what would eventually be over 100 Kiwis later that year and with rare exceptions, have had one in my watch pocket ever since. As for the Stretch, I was an "early adopted" and d have had one version or another in my back pocket at least nine days out of ten since then.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Re: Evil D

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:Can I cheat and say Military even though the newest iteration is my favorite? ;)

I can't add much else. I didn't discover the brand until '05 and the classics are usually out of my price range.
You're not cheating at all EVIL D because to the best of my memory I believe that the C-36 Military was a 1996 Release ( and that's the main reason I went back to 1996 :rolleyes: ). I'll have to get out my old Spyderco catalogs to be absolutely sure but I'm all but certain that the Millie qualifies. I hope it does because the C-36 Military with the newer/better blade steels is slowly becoming one of my all time favorite Old School Spyders for hard EDC use :cool: .

Only the C-60 Ayoob model intrigues me about as much for hard EDC use and I believe it was a 2002 release if I'm not mistaken. And that's another model that they need to release with newer supersteel blades IMO.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

FRN Cricket
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:Three of my four favorites started life before 2005. The burgundy micarta Jester was made in '02, the Kiwi began life in '03, and the first version of the Stretch slipped in just under the wire in late '04. I've had one of those Jesters on my keyring since '03. Picked up the first of what would eventually be over 100 Kiwis later that year and with rare exceptions, have had one in my watch pocket ever since. As for the Stretch, I was an "early adopted" and d have had one version or another in my back pocket at least nine days out of ten since then.
You're right about that STRETCH model being a 2004 release Deacon because when I got my very first STRETCH model (the stainless version) was in 2004 when I also got my very first TEMPERANCE 1 model which was also a 2004 release as well. The TEMP 1 is another reason I went out a little further this time because it truly has earned it's ultra-classic status IMO.

Another great 2004 model was the Ed Scott IMPALA.
euphorbioid

Post by euphorbioid »

I think my favorite is the C34 Jess Horn II with black micarta handles. I carry the serrated model fairly often.
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

First and foremost: The Military! (I own over 20 variations)

second: The Terzoula Starmate!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'm going to go with the J D Smith, but am also cheating a little because the 2009 G10 sprint is my very favorite, I do like the micarta also though.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
KungFuGodfather

Post by KungFuGodfather »

I know this sounds weird as its not really a knife, but the Spyderco Divers Probe. For some reason I just think it's really cool.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

C35 Q. It's what got me hooked on Spyderco, as it was my first one. It also came in all sorts of interesting versions. Even though some people say it wasn't a super useful knife with the skeletonized blade, mine broke down tons of cardboard with no issues.

At the tail end of your timeline, the C83 Persian is a favorite. I missed out on this model altogether until the red G-10 sprint, but it quickly became one of my top designs. I think it's time for another sprint, maybe HAP40? :p
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

That I actually own?

Military, Police, and Chinook 1. Though I've always wanted a C50 Centofante.

Anything in polished Micarta and pinned construction is also intriguing.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JD,
I knew this thread had to be yours even before I opened it. ;)

Definitely the Starmate CPM 440V (60/40 CE) for me. I have several other favorites, but this model is king for me from that era.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Always glad when JD gets started on the early years of Spyderco!

FRN Caly Jr. -- Awesome little slicer, and really liked the unique fish scale pattern. Mine got a ton of EDC time.

FRN Jess Horn -- The ZDP-189 rerun was an awesome sprint. Would love one of these in H1.

FRN Goddard -- The ergos, balance, light weight, and big blade make it an awesome EDC. Another one I'd like to see in FRN.

C54 Big Calypso in micarta -- gorgeous knife and an incredible slicer that always seemed way ahead of its time. I still really like the look and feel of Spyderco's polished micarta from this era.

Meerkat -- As crazy as it looked, the Meerkat felt great in the hand and was capable of serious cutting. Glad to see it is coming back for a new sprint.

Lil Temp -- One of the most natural and secure-feeling knives with a 3" blade that I have ever handled. It really filled the hand. Another one of those knives that seemed way ahead of it's time -- like a futuristic utilitarian design that fell unexpectedly to earth from another planet.

Original Chinook -- in my opinion, the original version of this knife felt and looked better than any of its less monolithic-seeming successors. The Chinook was the first Spyderco I bought (via the internet), after holding one that a friend had. The dealer's image showed a Chinook 1, but they shipped me a Chinook 2. I was initially really disappointed it wasn't the clunkier original version (which was being phased out) but decided to hang onto it since it was an "upgrade." Come to think of it, I am still disappointed to not own a Chinook 1!
paladin

Post by paladin »

So MANY...

But based solely on Pocket time, it's my grey frn vg10 Caly, Jr. .... still my EDC after all these years <and after all the new knives> ;) .
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Military here, followed very very closely by the timeless Delica.

In a perfect world complete with comfortable pants 365 days a year and no prohibitive knife legislation, the Military is the knife I'd take everywhere. Big enough to do just about anything, but with a precise tip and flexible ergonomics for smaller tasks.

The Delica needs no introduction. It's number C11, and the C clearly stands for classic. There have been and will be plenty of great smaller knives, but nothing will be as smart and refined as the Delica. But after well over 2 decades of evolution, what do you expect?
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Enduras and Caly jr/Zdp were my favorites back then. The Burgundy Jess horn in ZDP was a slicer too like the Caly jr.

Whenever the black- 2nd run of Caly jr./ZDP was on pre order I signed up for about 5 of them due to the problems I had with the first run of Caly Zdp/red or burgundy. I didn't get the original until years later and it came from a guy here that knew I was still trying to get one. Man we've had some really great people here!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

C36 Military, C22 Walker in CF and C42 Viele
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well JD I got to thinking about this and realized I can throw one more in the mix, which I believe dates back to 2004 (at least the original version does). I believe this to be one of the last or 3rd version. It's definitely one of my favorite SE models for sure. The clip isn't as secure as I'd like or it would likely be my primary work knife.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David