Spyderco knives: Copper, Brass and Bronze scales?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Are you interested in Copper, Bronze, Brass (etc) scales for Spyderco knives?

I'm most interested in copper scales!
33%
I'm most interested in bronze scales!
7%
I'm most interested in brass scales!
4%
I'm interested in any of these red/yellow/orange metals and other hybrid alloys (alumabronze)!
28%
I would like these metals but ONLY if they don't patina.
4%
I don't like any of these metals. Period.
25%

Total votes: 76

Blerv

Spyderco knives: Copper, Brass and Bronze scales?

Post by Blerv »

I nagged about this years ago and understand Spyderco is working on the processing tech to make it happen. Eventually a phosphor bronze Chaparral, or something :). I don't recall anyone doing a formal poll so figured it would be good information to have.

Personally, I adore the way these metals age over time. Many people force patinas on carbon blades so they are probably in the same boat! I expect for people who love the look but hate the aging a polished scale can be sealed with an industrial epoxy. They already do this for jewelry but it's treated for lighter-duty.

Pros:
* Copper and it's alloys are naturally antimicrobial. Even e.coli and salmonella quickly dies when in contact with them.
* Patina over time makes scratches interesting instead of disheartening
* I assume it's easier to work with than some hardwoods that can crack
* Your hands can smell like pennies! :D

Cons:
* They can be difficult to work with
* Not everyone likes heavy temperature sensitive knives
* They are about as slick as SS scales
* Your hands can smell like pennies :(
timlara

Re: Spyderco knives: Copper, Brass and Bronze scales?

Post by timlara »

I agree with your pros and cons, Blerv. I voted copper because I like the look of it (my favorite EDC pen is made of copper) and I like that you can either let it patina or wipe it down with lemon juice once in a while to bring the shine back if you like.

I also voted copper because I think it's easier to machine than bronze, which is pretty tough material, and I personally like the shade of copper better than brass.
Tim
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yes to all of them but especially copper. Copper bolsters and wood would be great. My only issue with copper is weight. Maybe with a carbon steel?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

+1 for Cu, I have many EDC Cu items, love the way it patina's and am one for a little heft in my pocket. A factory :spyder: with some Cu scales would awesome, really hope we see something one day. Still undecided on which model exactly though.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

@timlara I hear copper is difficult to machine but usually when doing threads. Still, people in China make flashlights with it and as you mentioned makers in the USA are doing pens all the time.

@bearfacedkiller The weight is certainly a factor; it's pretty similar to SS. Not traditionally "heavy" but certainly compared to Ti and and Al. I only have one knife with copper parts. The scales are thin and the liners are titanium but it has other embellishments that add to the weight. I recall it's like 3.6oz with about a 2.5" blade.
The Deacon

I'd rather not smell like pennies

Post by The Deacon »

I'm not a huge fan of metal scales, except as a vehicle for engraving, and for that I prefer metals that don't make my hands smell funky. Not honestly sure how phosphor bronze would fare in that regard, but copper and brass would be no-goes for me.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Voted copper as well, for many of the reasons mentioned. I've been buying a bunch of different copper EDC things as I find them. I don't mind the weight either. Would love to see something copper from Spyderco.

I've drawn some ideas that I thought might work for an ethnic series knife using copper scales, but still need to make it in solidworks.
-Nick :bug-red
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

I love copper. I bought some copper sheets to make custom scales. So far I have only used it on a Gerber Dime multi-tool and a Boker Urban trapper. I does smell, it does patina, but that is my favorite. I would really love untreated copper scales on a carbon steel like superblue. After a couple weeks of use it looks and feels like an old friend and is completely unique, showing your carry habits and cutting habits.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I love the look of copper but I voted for none of them. The reason is they are all beyond heavy if used as a complete scale. I like some heft to my knives and the look of copper is my favorite. But even using copper liners makes a handle too heavy unless I skeletanize the liners...and even then they are noticeably hefty. I just completed a set of scales for farnorthdan that I plan to ship tomorrow....finally! They are lined with copper and have a copper band running through them and copper corby bolts. Even though I lightened the liners as much as I could this is still the heaviest handle I've done so far. The copper has also given me a list of production problems along the way...making this seem like a never-ending project...thank you for your patience Dan :) . Complete scales my not have the same complexities as I have been dealing with but nonetheless it's worth considering that soft metals are not necessarily easier to work with. But, Spyderco's production concerns are not my concern... the weight of full copper scales on most knives would just simply be more than I want to carry. Although...if the knife is small enough...maybe a copper D'fly or Manbug would be a fun copper trinket to keep in my pocket..hmmm maybe I'm re-considering my vote with a little size caveat... :confused: :p
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Good poll...

I voted "None. Period"

Titanium seems to warm up to body temperature pretty quickly, it's durable enough, so it's a nice metal for handles, IMHO.

Aluminum is ok with me too for some applications.

Outside of those metals, my personal interest level drops precipitously.

I wouldn't choose something as dense as bronze, copper, or brass as a knife handle. Anything ca. 7g or more / cc has potential to be a pocket anchor.

That green gunk that brass forms is just plain nasty.

I have a bronze lanyard bead...it's ok, but nothing great.

Gimme Micarta, or other resin based handle for usage any day. Woods & bone for looks.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I didn't vote because I don't want to sway things.

While I love the looks of these metals and have them throughout my home, I probably won't have them as scales on my knives owing chiefly to slipperiness.

That said, choils and finger-grooves, thumb-ramps, jimping, and frame-lock cuts do variously give me satisfactory purchase on my titanium-handled UKPK, Sage2, Techno, and SpydieChef.

So, Spyderco might tempt me, but I do have doubts.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I voted, "None Of Them." If the scales on a knife handle are going to be made of metal, I currently prefer titanium or aluminum. The only other metal I like on knife handles are on those single-piece knives where the entire knife is made from one piece of steel, such as Chris Reeve Knives' one-piece fixed blade knives made of A2 tool steel.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I voted copper because I like copper. My only suggestion is maybe some kind of coating over it? I handle thousands of feet of copper refrigeration piping a year and it sure as **** turns your hands green fast lol
Josh
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I don't like heavy knives. Not sure why these are such a fad these days. They LOOK good, but that's it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

At one time Titanium seemed to be all the rage, they even made a laptop out of it. I am a great fan of titanium handled knives, I think the last five or six Spyderco knives I've bought have been Ti. Ti is a great option for scales; Strong, reasonably light weight, extremely corrosion resistant, and as far as metals go it has very low thermal conductivity (That means it doesn't feel as cold or hot as other metals would in the same environment.)

All of the above options with the possible exception of "alumabronze" are vastly inferior handle materials than titanium from a perspective of performance. (Don't know anything about "alumabronze"). They would all be weaker (both in strength and scratch resistance), heavier, less corrosion resistant (Much less in most circumstances), and have more thermal conductivity. That said, I do understand that many people regularly overlook performance flaws in favor of something they find visually appealing.

I would be more in favor of brass/copper/bronze inset into a traditional handle. Imagine a Spyderco Chubby with inset bronze coins. Better yet, what about a brass spyderco logo inset into the scales of the 2017 Spyderco Native forum knife?

While there may be a small market for a bronze/copper/brass handled knife, I don't think it will be a particularly big user among the general knife public. Maybe a collectors piece, but I think most users would loose their enthusiasm very quickly.

Grizz
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really like the idea of copper, at least copper bolsters, but it would ultimately depend on the model they came on more than anything.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I voted Not Interested. I live too far from water to have any need for another boat anchor. Let me know when you find a metal with the thermal conductivity of Styrofoam, the strength of titanium and the weight of carbon fiber. Then I'll be interested.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I'm down. Love me some metal handles, and I didn't realize stainless steel and titanium were getting boring until just now. More metals please!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I got into pens for a bit and tried out numerous materials (as well as with flashlights). Copper does age nicely but it is extremely soft and the scent on your hands is rather annoying. The other choices mentioned have their own issues, too. Personally, the variations of titanium which can be anodized are more intriguing. There are people with copper scales on Spyderco knives and their reviews are not always favorable. I don't recommend it.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I like copper and brass, but wouldn't want it to be the entire frame/scale.

They serve better as accents in my opinion, too many trade offs compared to other scale materials.

A copper or brass bolster, pivot collar, or backspacer would look great on certain knives. I also wonder what producing them on a large scale would be like. Brad Southard made some aftermarket hardware for his performance series out of copper and brass, and they proved to actually be a pain in the butt to machine. Even though they are soft materials, something about the feed and cut rate makes them tricky.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe