Which salt variation is best for my task?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Which salt variation is best for my task?

Post by Sharp Guy »

ShawnKirkpatrick wrote:Thanks for all the help guys. I have spent a good amount on knife stuff and knifes this year so the last one of the year will be this one. I have however decided to go with a pacific salt SE. I have plenty of PE knives but no SE. It will be a good switch up and add some variety to the collection. Again thanks for the help.
Great choice! I think you'll really like the H1 SE. Like you, I wanted something a little different for my collection and wanted to try Spyderco's H1 and serrations. I ended up buying a Salt 1 SE and have no regrets. It's a little pocket chainsaw and is always in my pocket when I'm out working in the yard. It's buzzed through all kinds of stuff and I haven't had to sharpen it yet.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

As others have said, can't go wrong with any of them
I just LOVE H1

Aqua is hard to beat for an all around lightweight fixed blade, from a to Z it'll keep going through stuff and ask for more
Jumpmaster is the most aggressive rope, hose and box cutter you can handle

Pacific Salt is the most versatile large folder I've had the pleasure to own and carry, that will take all you throw at it day after day
Salt I is the inconspicuous little workhorse that gets every job done, average size, over-average cutting ability and comfort
Tasman Salt can be seen as the claw that appears, rips and cuts and disappears as quick, a no-frills trusty compliment to your PE blade
And the large Spyderhawk is that true pocket chainsaw for the hardest tasks, that's still light and carriable

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With all the good input thus far I still say you would be better off with a dual set up. Have one of the Salt Folders in PE along side a TASMAN in Spyderedge. You would not only have the best of both worlds in the H-1 Salt Series but you would have a wide range of versatility.

The Salt Series has some nice fixed blades as well>> I would recommend an H-1 Salt fixed blade in Spyderedge to go with the ideal folder duo I already suggested ;) Let us Know what you decide?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

JD Spydo wrote:With all the good input thus far I still say you would be better off with a dual set up. Have one of the Salt Folders in PE along side a TASMAN in Spyderedge. You would not only have the best of both worlds in the H-1 Salt Series but you would have a wide range of versatility.

The Salt Series has some nice fixed blades as well>> I would recommend an H-1 Salt fixed blade in Spyderedge to go with the ideal folder duo I already suggested ;) Let us Know what you decide?
I tend to agree with you JDSpydo, but not this time. IMO and given the (quite low-end) properties H1 has on a PE, I'd say:

pair the SE Tasman (best of H1, best of SE, best of companion blade shape to a straight edge) with a CaraCara 2, you'll be paying 1/3rd of the Pacific Salt, but getting a better or equal steel in edge retention and toughness, as well as ease of sharpening, still linerless and thin handles, and available in CE or PE.

Just my view on it, of course, as I strongly believe the Pac Salt is an excellent folder and that everyone should do whatever floats their boat, and gives them joy!
Van't go wrong with any Spydie!!! ;)