So what does everyone think of...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: So what does everyone think of...

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have probably been negative enough already about this one. ;) RS is right about being thankful for anyone who commissions an exclusive. In my eyes this was a swing and a miss but hopefully they will do more after this one. It looks like they have extended the drop so there is still a possibility that this one will come to be.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Ive been waiting for the return of the G 10 Delica but coated blade and black G10. Pass till a satin blade comes along.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Personally I consider this to be a gents knife rather than a tactical knife. It would make a great edc knife to carry in the evenings or weekends but for outdoor tasks I would rather carry something else like a Military or PM2.

This new "scratch", pattern is interesting. I hope maybe Sal or someone from the Spyder crew can chip in and tell us more about how they do it. It says in the MD description that it's etched so I'm guessing it's a ticn coating covered with a stencil that's had some type of acid treatment? It must be time consuming and that could have an impact on the price.

As for MD, I can see why they need the money up front for this one. Spyderco aren't going to do all this work for free and they have suppliers to pay in Japan. Anyway, anyone ordering will be guaranteed to get their knife so it doesn't really matter if you pay now or later. I agree with R/S and BFK that any company willing to commission an exclusive knife should be applauded, that's why I hope this one happens because next time it might be something I ca't refuse. I just hope that if it doesn't happen that it doesn't put MD off from trying again.

I noticed the poll on MD that started this project was created by abbazaba and I'm guessing it's the same abbazaba who posts here and keeps winning the Photo of the Week Contest. So big thanks and congrats to him for getting this going :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
John E

Post by John E »

One option certainly is to buy a ZDP delica and get aftermarket G10 scales for it. Tom Wilkins has G10 and Titanium Delica scales on his web site. They are expensive, but if I were going to go for specialized Delica, I would certainly consider that option.
John E

zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Johnnie1801 wrote: This new "scratch", pattern is interesting. I hope maybe Sal or someone from the Spyder crew can chip in and tell us more about how they do it. It says in the MD description that it's etched so I'm guessing it's a ticn coating covered with a stencil that's had some type of acid treatment? It must be time consuming and that could have an impact on the price.
:)
I'd like to know what process it is as well so we have an idea on what kind of wear we could expect from it.

It would be cool to offer on other blades.

For something experimental like that, it makes the most sense to me to just add the one extra feature instead of 3 new features. For example, have the regular FRN handle and add this etching to it. That would keep the costs down and increase the likelihood of a sell out.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Not to stir the pot too much, but there are 3 days left on this Massdrop drop and only 21 more buyers are needed to hit their minimum to make this happen. So, if you were on the fence before and leaning towards purchasing it, this weekend is it. For all the naysayers about this knife, there will be 230-odd folks backing it that will be likely be a bit sad that it didn't come to fruition. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Danke

Post by Danke »

Still stuck at 232 but it looks like they're leaving it open till it's hit the bar.

I am in.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

This failed to materialize, must be a Monday! :(
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I think the spyderweb etching is gaudy. Much more desirable things for that price.