So what does everyone think of...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zenheretic

So what does everyone think of...

Post by zenheretic »

the Spyderco Delica G-10/ZDP-189 "Blackout"?
farnorthdan

Re: So what does everyone think of...

Post by farnorthdan »

I like it but not at the price MD is charging, too many other cool pieces in that price range I would rather have.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SG89

Post by SG89 »

farnorthdan wrote:I like it but not at the price MD is charging, too many other cool pieces in that price range I would rather have.
This^
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Is zdp not the sizzle not more? It was a few years ago. I wonder if they would have been better with plain vg 10 and the gimmick etching. Maybe 100 bucks?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

zenheretic wrote:the Spyderco Delica G-10/ZDP-189 "Blackout"?
What ??? Where ? :eek:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Took me a while to figure out WTF "MD" meant, but after Googling ZDP-189 Delica Blackout, seems it stands for Massdrop.

Goes back to what I've been saying for years, lots of folks want Spyderco to offer a G-10 Delica, few want to pay for one.

To give the price some perspective, back in '09 MSRP for a regular FRN VG-10 Delica was $90. For an FRN ZDP-189 Delica it was $135, and for a G-10 VG-10 Delica it was $180. So, it's safe to say a ZDP/G-10 Delica would probably have had an MSRP around $225. Today's MSRP for an FRN/ZDP Delica is $160, putting the estimated MSRP of a G-10/ZDP version somewhere north of $260.

Personally, I'm not interested. I think the spatter pattern blade looks hideous and, even without that, If I'm looking to carry a "three inch-ish" blade the CF Chaparral is my first choice.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Looks like 195 of the 1000 have been sold so far, with 3 days left on the drop.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

The Deacon wrote:Took me a while to figure out WTF "MD" meant, but after Googling ZDP-189 Delica Blackout, seems it stands for Massdrop.

Goes back to what I've been saying for years, lots of folks want Spyderco to offer a G-10 Delica, few want to pay for one.

To give the price some perspective, back in '09 MSRP for a regular FRN VG-10 Delica was $90. For an FRN ZDP-189 Delica it was $135, and for a G-10 VG-10 Delica it was $180. So, it's safe to say a ZDP/G-10 Delica would probably have had an MSRP around $225. Today's MSRP for an FRN/ZDP Delica is $160, putting the estimated MSRP of a G-10/ZDP version somewhere north of $260.

Personally, I'm not interested. I think the spatter pattern blade looks hideous and, even without that, If I'm looking to carry a "three inch-ish" blade the CF Chaparral is my first choice.
Thanks for the cost analysis Deacon. It seems like a very fair price then. Would only go down in price if more folks put in for it.

I'm just thinking it is either suffering from lack of word of mouth that it is available or what I was trying to say earlier...too much for a one time deal...g10, zdp, and the blade etching.

As far as not liking the blade etching...not surprised that it isn't for everyone. I like but probably won't get one. I think once people start posting photos people will wail, gnash their teeth, and virtually weep via the interwebz.

However some might call it the "Bukkake Blade"... :p
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

elena86 wrote:
zenheretic wrote:the Spyderco Delica G-10/ZDP-189 "Blackout"?
What ??? Where ? :eek:

Massdrop, I'd post a link but I'm borrowing an apple computer and can't figure out how to capture the link. :o
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Similar to the way you do on a PC. Click in the address bar, once it is highlighted, two fingers on the mouse pad, then copy. Reverse to paste.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I've been wanting a g10 Delica for a long time and as much as this one appeals to me I have to pass. I just feel this version is more of a collectors piece rather than a user design. Also Massdrop stopped shipping to my country which is weird as they still ship to the UK and they have far more severe customs and laws. The price is also a bit high for me, I mean the Caly 3 sprint in HAP 40 is $40 less. 2017 looks like a lean year for me so the Caly 3 is going to be my priority knife.

I'm still up for a g10 Delica but I hope they make one in the future with some plain jane VG-10 that comes in around $100. Imho, Delica's are made to be used not stared at in a display case.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
BTG

Post by BTG »

I think some saw the 199 and thought that was too much, and haven't rechecked to see it's been adjusted to 169...I was in either way, wanted a G10 Delica and missed the foliage green ones.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Johnnie1801 wrote:...I'm still up for a g10 Delica but I hope they make one in the future with some plain jane VG-10 that comes in around $100. Imho, Delica's are made to be used not stared at in a display case.
+1 My feelings also.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderNut wrote:
Johnnie1801 wrote:...I'm still up for a g10 Delica but I hope they make one in the future with some plain jane VG-10 that comes in around $100. Imho, Delica's are made to be used not stared at in a display case.
+1 My feelings also.
Am sure a lot feel that way. The problem is that, 7 years back, a G-10 Delica cost twice as much as an FRN one. Why people think that equation will have changed to favor G-10 is beyond me. Given the price points of other G-10 models from Japan, I think it's more realistic to assume the relationship would either hold, or get worse. The switch to MAP pricing would mean fewer sellers, if any, would offer discounts of more than 40%. So, IMHO, best that could be hoped for would be an MAP street price around $132.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zenheretic wrote:Is zdp not the sizzle not more? It was a few years ago. I wonder if they would have been better with plain vg 10 and the gimmick etching. Maybe 100 bucks?
Oh it still has somewhat of a fanbase and I personally still like and use a couple of the older ones I've had for years. But there are a couple of the newer supersteels I now like better than ZDP. I found out the hard way that ZDP-189 does have a serious "achilles heel" so to speak. It is not at all resistant to food acids and if you use it on any fruit or high acid veggie and if you forget to clean it immediately you are asking for disaster :eek: .

But as far as a surgical grade edge which would compete with any straight razor out there then ZDP-189 is still in my all time top 10 favorite blade steels.

Zen I don't remember if you were around when Spyderco started doing some of the serrated/Spyderedged models in ZDP-189 because they found out the hard way that ZDP doesn't make very good blade steel at all for serrated edges. I was very sad when I learned that. But I'm also finding out that many steels that make excellent plain edged steels don't necessarily make good Spyderedged blades unfortunately.

But overall I personally still rate it in my own top 10 PE blade steels. But it doesn't have the rock star charisma that it once had.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I typed up a rather long winded response to this and then reread it. I guess I don't like Massdrop very much. :eek: In the interest of shiny footprints I will just try to condense it to this. Massdrop does not know their customers or their products very well and their pricing is not competitive at all for a group buy site. Just because you can sell a bunch of blackwash Kershaws for $20 does not mean that people who buy $100+ knives want a gimicky blade finish. I also think the "blacked out" moniker is targeting a tactical crowd which isn't the typical purchasers of ZDP Delicas. I for one will pass on the "tactical" Delica. They were informed that ZDP is not "one of the most stainless steels" as they put in the description but still haven't changed it and actually challenged the customers who spoke up to prove it. I would rather see an actual knife dealer do a G10 Delica exclusive. If this was BRG G10 and a plain uncoated/unetched blade they would have got their $169 from me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Wow, some serious over-thinking going on here... Paul had the math right. A FRN ZDP Delica retails for $95. If you assumed a G10 version with a brand new blade etch style might go for twice that, most of us would say that seems about right. Now it's $25 less than that. Can't please everyone I guess.

Don't like the Massdrop version? Don't buy it, wait for another G10 version or commission your own. I hate that folks jump on the company bashing bandwagon when these things come up. I for one applaud and appreciate any company willing to run an exclusive, variety being the spice of life and all...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I feel as though saying it is just the price is under thinking it. It is ugly and too tactical. It took me a few days to make that post as I felt it was very critical of Massdrop but it is how I have felt for a while. I am not riding on anyones bandwagon. Those are not the self serving words of someone who is just upset that this knife isn't the steel/color combo he wanted or that it is priced out of his range but rather just me sharing my opinion of Massdrop as I have been buying from them for quite a while. I have no issue with the price or even the fact that they want to sit on the money for six months although that last part has probably held a lot of folks back.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I've been patiently waiting for my Delica dream to come true, but this isn't it. Definitely not my style. Still sad that SG2 project didn't work out... :(
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I feel as though saying it is just the price is under thinking it. It is ugly and too tactical.
Forgetting about your feelings on Massdrop (I've only just discovered it.) and that you find the knife ugly, I am curious on what makes it "too tactical"?