To Honor?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Re: To Honor?

Post by Mr Blonde »

This is a great idea! And I love what I'm reading about the proposed design so far. Paul, do I correctly recall that your username was inspired by WW2 bomber nose art, like this one? Could you imagine a subtle engraving etc... of this design to add to your design? I imagine there would be some copyright issues to resolve, but it couldn't hurt to try if you like it.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Tdog wrote: Kopa please :)
Clipless and dentless
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
sal

Post by sal »

We're looking into options.

sal
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Jazz wrote:
Johnnie1801 wrote:I know Paul likes his automatics so why not an Autonomy with a plain edge in stainless steel

That'd be swell, and only a few people from a couple of states could buy it.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you sir. More states in the US allow private ownership of automatic or switchblade knives that ban them (37 by my rough last count).

We are discussing a knife designed to honor a specific person, in this case Paul. Paul is well known for liking autos. I believe the goal here isn't to make a Delica that will be a #1 seller and be legal almost everywhere, but rather a special knife with limited numbers and a special meaning.

Many know I also love Spyderco's Autos, so I would love to see an Auto too. Like many others have said, a PE Autonomy with a different blade profile and possibly different scale color would be very nice IMO
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Okay, I wish I didn't say it... :eek:
- best wishes, Jazz.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mr Blonde wrote:This is a great idea! And I love what I'm reading about the proposed design so far. Paul, do I correctly recall that your username was inspired by WW2 bomber nose art, like this one? Could you imagine a subtle engraving etc... of this design to add to your design? I imagine there would be some copyright issues to resolve, but it couldn't hurt to try if you like it.
Yes, Wouter, that "nose art" was the inspiration for my username and the source of my original avatar. However, from the comments on this forum and elsewhere regarding the Spyker, the Foundary, a few of the Forum Knives, and most recently the 40th Anniversary Native , I'm inclined to think more people are turned off than turned on by graphics and, to be honest, I'm not keen on them myself.
hudsonhawk wrote:
Jazz wrote:
Johnnie1801 wrote:I know Paul likes his automatics so why not an Autonomy with a plain edge in stainless steel

That'd be swell, and only a few people from a couple of states could buy it.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you sir. More states in the US allow private ownership of automatic or switchblade knives that ban them (37 by my rough last count).

We are discussing a knife designed to honor a specific person, in this case Paul. Paul is well known for liking autos. I believe the goal here isn't to make a Delica that will be a #1 seller and be legal almost everywhere, but rather a special knife with limited numbers and a special meaning.

Many know I also love Spyderco's Autos, so I would love to see an Auto too. Like many others have said, a PE Autonomy with a different blade profile and possibly different scale color would be very nice IMO
It's not just a question of what states allow, it's a question of who Spyderco dealers are able to sell to without violating both Federal law and the terms of their dealer agreement.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Sal and Deacon, what about a "Deacon Native", a version of the Native, in honor of Deacon? Or not a good idea?
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

The stretch has one of the most comfortable grips. I love the idea of a stretch with a straight spine. My suggestion for scales is black, grey, and white digi-cam g-10.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Just coming across this thread now. Great idea. I have a lot of reading to do to catch up. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Deacon wrote: Yes, they very well might sell better. However, neither would represent my tastes, which I thought was the point of the exercise.
That is the point indeed :D I'm sure "the Deacon" will be a great knife. Congrats again.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Cool thread. Kopa sounds fun to me.

Seriously looking forward to THE TAZ.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

What a wonderful idea....and I'm very late to this party....anddddd....I didn't read all the posts (my bad)...that said I think it's a noble and honorable idea of Sal's and I can't think of anyone else who deserves this honor more than Paul.....I'll just add this kicker to the mix..Sal...do the Deacon and maybe consider making it the 2017 Spyderco Forum Knife.....Doc:)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

It's gotta have Odin's eye Damascus though. At least that's what i remember Paul saying he wanted in the past.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I'd be inclined to suggest:
Clipless
Dentless
Golden Kauri scales
Kiwi (not Kiwi 4 shape though)
Maybe a small Spyderco logo inlay in the scales if possible.
I'd stay away from any engraving or too much filigree as I don't think that would honour the Deacon.

I would prefer a Kopa but a Kiwi would suit Paul's history slightly better I would suspect.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

It's nice to see that this idea is attracting the attention of some older forumites. The more the merrier! :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

ozspyder wrote:I'd be inclined to suggest:
I'd stay away from any engraving or too much filigree as I don't think that would honour the Deacon.
This.

A good knife for a good man; looking forward to see how this knife takes shape.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Love this idea.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Lol....great thread. Just now seeing it.
We were without internet, tv and phone for 2 months.
We just moved into a new house, took Charter that long to get us hooked up.
I think this a great idea :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

MacLaren wrote: We were without internet, tv and phone for 2 months.
I am glad that you made it. I am not sarcastic. I would be totally miserable after few days and probably would move to my office :o
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bh49 wrote:
MacLaren wrote: We were without internet, tv and phone for 2 months.
I am glad that you made it. I am not sarcastic. I would be totally miserable after few days and probably would move to my office :o
I know right?
I was miserable for the first 3 or r days. But.....it was actually okay after that! We spent so much more time with each other - family time. Did some reading too....it really wasnt that bad. But, I am glad we have all 3 services back :)