To Honor?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PayneTrain

Re: To Honor?

Post by PayneTrain »

Yeeessss! That was a very kind and humble gesture Paul, but enough of that! Let's get this thing cookin'!

Honestly I've had very little interaction with you and most my enthusiasm for this project is probably based on the delightfulness of the gesture on Sal's part, and, like many I think, the desire to see a new knife materialize before our eyes. Still, I've got nothing bad to say about you, nor do I care what's in the post earlier that I just scrolled riiiight over (Muck raking? In this forum? In this thread?! Shocking). In the couple years I've been around, whether you like it or not, you have easily stood out as one of those members of a forum who, when they post, I tend to pay particular attention. Maybe it's an illusion based on a gigantic post count number, but I think it's more likely because not only do you come in with information that consistently advances and elevates the discussion, but you do so in the spirit of the forum. There's always a handful of avatars in a forum that, when they pop up on the screen, one stops scrolling and reads. You are among the few to say the least, again, whether you like it or not. :p

And don't worry, I'm sure the company will honor Kristi's hard work time and time again and probably already has. And no doubt we'll see a serrated Captain sooner or later! And, you know, in my opinion, this place wouldn't be the same without the endlessly curious mind of SpyderedgeForever. Just imagine what he'd come up with to honor his tenure! But that's all for another thread, another time. It's your turn Sir Deacon! Sal hath spoken!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Now he is discriminating against people? Nope, still don't see it.
Paul telling lies about good people just because they have different opinions from his angers me
I'd be angry too if he was discriminating or lying about anybody, not just worshipers of Islam. He isn't and it's not even close.

Yes, Ignaz, you tried to insinuate he was wrong, called him a racist and attempted to pressure Spyderco into not honoring him because you don't like what he said.Don't pretend that wasn't your intent.

He insulted no one. He merely stated facts that you can verify yourself by reading the Quran and the Hadiths.Maybe talk about with your friends in a non confrontational way. You continue to state he is telling lies when you,and not he is the one telling lies. You obviously can read so why don't you find out for yourself? Would you rather slander someone with lies and false accusations or learn the truth? If at this point you won't attempt to learn the truth we have nothing to discuss and we will certainly have no need to get along respectfully or otherwise. You would be doing exactly what you claim incorrectly that he is doing so where would that leave you? What sort of person does that make you?

If you knew Paul you would certainly know he is respectful of others, polite and his tone is more measured than mine. He has more patience than I do for others which is why he ignores stuff like this.

Saying things you don't like doesn't make him wrong, a liar or a racist. I can't say that about you.You are lying when you call him these names unless you have other evidence of him lying which you have not yet shown. I've left much unsaid because I sense in you the SocialJusticeWarrior mentality itching to call on other 7th grade girls to come help you here on Poor Kristi and Sal's website and begin yelling about violent words and safe spaces and threatening to not buy more knives?....

I do urge you to open up a book and do some reading. I know there are Qurans translated to German and English and available for you to read and research. The other writings and sayings you can also get or look up online to make things easier.

Do we need to put up videos of Trigglypuff? Show other social justice warriors in action? I'd hate to do that to Sal's place. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:SSSssssoooooo Paul,

Assuming this concept can work, and you're the first honoree (victim :p ), perhaps you can help the rest of us design your model?

sal
Sal, I know what I like, but also know most of it would not be very popular. So, both out of respect to Spyderco's bottom line and my ego, I wouldn't to want to see a "Deacon tribute model" getting closed out at a loss on Sierra Trading Post.

So, while I still think there are a number of more deserving candidates for such an honor, a knife I that would reflect a good deal of my "tastes" and still have a chance of selling reasonably well would be a brown FRN VG-10 Stretch with no Boye dent and a straight spined (Military, PM2 style) blade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Paul, that actually sounds quite appealing.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I dunno Paul I think most people like the bolstered models you've posted and would love them in the Damascus you like. The problem in the end would be cost, as I'm sure a Stretch like that would likely MSRP North of $500.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Maybe we should decide for him. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Agreed. You're being too modest. Ok, maybe not as a production model, but as a small sprint run? Of course they'd clear out! Heck, the novelty of the theory behind the knife alone would probably attract any self respecting flipper ([mumbled voice] and they have to respect themselves, since no one else does). What other company is doing something like this? Come on, get crrrrraaazy!

Though D has a good point. Go easy on the materials if you can so ol' PayneTrain here can afford one. :o I do like your suggestion there and I'd get one for sure, but you can get a little more exotic in my opinion. Just keep it under, say...$250 shipped? :) Anyway, I'll stop prodding. I've said enough, and you have my opinion, solicited or not! Your moment, your choice, it's between you and Sal...and...anyone with an internet connection...
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Shockwave

Post by Shockwave »

I agree with others as well. I'm into traditional knives and really dig your Kiwi collection. A Kiwi in VG-10 with some custom handles would be cool. Seems price would be the only obsticle.

An idea could be you come up with 3-4 different handle materials you would like to see, and we all get to vote on our favorite for production. Just throwing ideas out there :)
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

OR just get around to making that bolstered stag inlayed Kiwi 4... ;)
~David
ChrisinHove

Re: Evil D

Post by ChrisinHove »

Evil D wrote:OR just get around to making that bolstered stag inlayed Kiwi 4... ;)
Oooh. Now I'm listening ...
timlara

Post by timlara »

Evil D wrote:OR just get around to making that bolstered stag inlayed Kiwi 4... ;)
Yes! :D

If Paul prefers the Stretch over the Kiwi these days, I'd be happy with his suggestion, but I also seem to recall that the main gripe he had about the Kiwi 4 was the more "tactical" construction of it compared to previous Kiwis. So if we could get rid of the screws and G10 in favor of a nicer looking natural material, maybe that's a start?

I personally would like to see Evil D's concept of contoured scales for the Kiwi 4 become a reality as it seems like that would both class up the knife and improve ergos significantly.
Tim
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Brown...like Hershey brown or S35VN PM2 brown?

Wood is brown. Just sayin' ;)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

timlara wrote:
Yes! :D

If Paul prefers the Stretch over the Kiwi these days, I'd be happy with his suggestion, but I also seem to recall that the main gripe he had about the Kiwi 4 was the more "tactical" construction of it compared to previous Kiwis. So if we could get rid of the screws and G10 in favor of a nicer looking natural material, maybe that's a start?

I personally would like to see Evil D's concept of contoured scales for the Kiwi 4 become a reality as it seems like that would both class up the knife and improve ergos significantly.
Contoured bolsters, pinned pivot (aka hidden pivot screw so as to not ruin the looks of the bolster), nice inlays, no clip (again, so the bottom bolster stays clean).
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Getting a sweet Stretch like Paul would like out of Seki would get pricey. We had a thread going about a bolstered Chaparral. What about a smooth bolstered Chaparral with bolsters on both ends, no clip and a wood inlay? Is this doable? Would it be more affordable than a similarly outfitted stretch?

I have been wanting a Stretch with a straight spine for a while now. It is kind of plain jane for a tribute knife IMO but I would definitely be a buyer. No doubt about it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
paladin

Post by paladin »

The Deacon wrote:
sal wrote: Sal, I know what I like, but also know most of it would not be very popular. So, both out of respect to Spyderco's bottom line and my ego, I wouldn't to want to see a "Deacon tribute model" getting closed out at a loss on Sierra Trading Post.

So, while I still think there are a number of more deserving candidates for such an honor, a knife I that would reflect a good deal of my "tastes" and still have a chance of selling reasonably well would be a brown FRN VG-10 Stretch with no Boye dent and a straight spined (Military, PM2 style) blade.
Now just imagine what it'll be like when/if counterfeit models of the "SpiderKo Deecon" start popping up on the big auction site for "Buy It Now" $9.99 USD... :p :eek:

Wow Paul, you're gonna reach rarefied air that few other Spyderco afi's have ever approached. ;)

But seriously, very considerate and tactful on your part to propose such a model which will require minimal <easy for me to say :o> retooling on Spyderco's behalf. Also a smart way to better insure your model sees the light of day!

But BROWN ...really?

C'mon Paul...go crazy! FRN dye is cheap....you may be overthinking the bottom line here seriously....plus the kids these days like bright colors!

RED is usually reserved for trainers, but not always, as you've so noted a few times in the past.

But a CANDY APPLE RED to match your coupe would be the cat's pajamas... :cool:

Not trying to hijack YOUR model, but if I'm offered another Spyderco in Florsheim Wingtip Brown, especially in a model I'm gonna want multiples of for carry & collecting, I'm gonna hurl! :eek:
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

The Mastiff wrote:Now he is discriminating against people? Nope, still don't see it.
Paul telling lies about good people just because they have different opinions from his angers me
I'd be angry too if he was discriminating or lying about anybody, not just worshipers of Islam. He isn't and it's not even close.

Yes, Ignaz, you tried to insinuate he was wrong, called him a racist and attempted to pressure Spyderco into not honoring him because you don't like what he said.Don't pretend that wasn't your intent.

He insulted no one. He merely stated facts that you can verify yourself by reading the Quran and the Hadiths.Maybe talk about with your friends in a non confrontational way. You continue to state he is telling lies when you,and not he is the one telling lies. You obviously can read so why don't you find out for yourself? Would you rather slander someone with lies and false accusations or learn the truth? If at this point you won't attempt to learn the truth we have nothing to discuss and we will certainly have no need to get along respectfully or otherwise. You would be doing exactly what you claim incorrectly that he is doing so where would that leave you? What sort of person does that make you?

If you knew Paul you would certainly know he is respectful of others, polite and his tone is more measured than mine. He has more patience than I do for others which is why he ignores stuff like this.

Saying things you don't like doesn't make him wrong, a liar or a racist. I can't say that about you.You are lying when you call him these names unless you have other evidence of him lying which you have not yet shown. I've left much unsaid because I sense in you the SocialJusticeWarrior mentality itching to call on other 7th grade girls to come help you here on Poor Kristi and Sal's website and begin yelling about violent words and safe spaces and threatening to not buy more knives?....

I do urge you to open up a book and do some reading. I know there are Qurans translated to German and English and available for you to read and research. The other writings and sayings you can also get or look up online to make things easier.

Do we need to put up videos of Trigglypuff? Show other social justice warriors in action? I'd hate to do that to Sal's place. :)

Joe,

again it has never been my intention to lie, pressure Spyderco or do anything else that is unfair or harmful.
The Mastiff wrote:I'd be angry too if he was discriminating or lying about anybody, not just worshipers of Islam. He isn't and it's not even close.“
Unfortunately he is. Just read that.
„...Islam teaches that all non-believers must eventually be converted to Islam, killed, or subjugated and enslaved. We must also not forget that Islam is also the only faith which preaches that lying to non-believers and entering into treaties and alliances with them which you fully intend to break, is acceptable behavior, as long as it somehow furthers the cause of Islam. ...

...no Muslim, regardless of the platitudes they may mouth in public, can be considered as anything but a potential threat, fifth columnist, terrorist, or financial backer of worldwide Islamic terrorism. ...“
What he wrote here is not true but discriminating and racist (although that’s not biological racism but so called cultural racism).
Yes there are terrorist, maniacs, idiots etc. and there are Muslims. And some are both but most are not. You can find maniacs in every culture, place and period of time. People will always misuse religion as a cause for their irrational actions.
Imagine somebody or even many people committed a crime using a Spyderco knife. Would you conclude that every Spyderco user must be a threat? You would likely be angry about the idiots misusing and abusing what you admire so much just like many Muslims are angry about islamic terrorists.

I also don’t intend to claim that Paul is bad guy overall. I like his opinions and taste regarding knives and I think most of the time he is a good and nice guy (except maybe you are a Muslim I suppose). But I do think it is really sad and inappropriate what he and other people think about a major religious group (1.6 Billion people). And I also think it is quite questionable and disappointing to honor such a person even though he indeed is a valuable forum contributor and that knife is probably going to be awesome...

So please just let us keep this civilized and stop derailing this discussion. If you want to discuss this further rather send me a PM instead.
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Guys at this point you're just playing the last word game.
~David
Studey

Post by Studey »

Ignaz, please stop posting and derailing this thread. You've been asked as much by Spyderco's owner, it's time to let it go.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Awesome idea, I'm in for one! Personally I love back-locks so you really can't go wrong in my book. I do think this is a rare excuse for bolsters and smooth scales... but a straight-spined stretch doesn't sound too bad.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Bolstered Kiwi large enough for my hands to get a full grip sounds pretty fantastic and very classy. SB or HAP40? Or maybe even Shirogami White to set it further apart from everything else? I guess those won't work well though since they're non stainless.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden