SpyderMonkey

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tstetz

SpyderMonkey

Post by tstetz »

So before anyone gets too excited (if anyone was going to :-p) this one actually doesn't exist. It was a design I proposed about 6 years ago that didn't go anywhere. I stumbled on to my old CAD drawings and figured I'd share them. I had contracted with a buddy to turn my pen and ink designs into more professional CAD images and not only did he do the CAD work, he also did some amazing 3D renderings of what the designs would look like. Thought people should see his work

The SpyderMonkey was one was my folding bushcraft concept using a 3.5 inch spear point blade with Scandi grind, compression lock and G-10 scales. It was basically a folding version on the fixed blade Bushcrafter I designed for Blind Horse Knives/L.T. Wright Knives. There are a few folding bushcraft knives out now but at the time there really wasn't much if anything available.

Makes for some pretty wallpaper at this point anyway :-p

Happy Thanksgiving guys!
Attachments
spydermonkey2.png
spydermonkey1.png
spydermonkey.jpg
spydermonkeyOrange.png
Tim
hoimin

Re: SpyderMonkey

Post by hoimin »

tstetz, I don't know much about designing or bushcraft, but this looks great to me. Your buddy's renders are excellent as well!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

That looks way too stylish for bushcraft. Would make a nice edc though.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Okay I would buy that knife in a heartbeat. I wonder if the wolfspyder was a contributing factor to it not being green lit.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
swigert

Post by swigert »

I think that's fantastic. I'd buy.
slick228

Post by slick228 »

Hi Tim,

You should send it to Peter at Spyderco instead of posting it here so he can work with you on getting it produced.
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

Definitely would buy up one of those if nothing else so I could expand my compression lock collection. Love it.
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
Delica 4 FRN w/Emerson wave
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Matriarch2 FRN w/Emerson wave
GOD BLESS JOHN NOVESKE R.I.P
tstetz

Post by tstetz »

Thanks guys. I did send it to Peter back in the day along with a couple other designs which I'll post later. It wasn't in the cards.

Not sure how far back the WolfSpyder project started but it could have been brewing that far back. Or something else could have been. I know the folks at Spyderco have a ton of in house designs and collaborations with other makers so just because I came up with something I thought was decent doesn't mean they don't already have something in the pipe similar. Or it just may not be the right fit for the line up. Lots of factors go into what a company decides to produce and the one thing I've found over the years is that most knife companies are not short on ideas, no matter how original we think our own might be!
Last edited by tstetz on Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

Seriously interested in seeing your other design ideas...
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
Delica 4 FRN w/Emerson wave
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Matriarch2 FRN w/Emerson wave
GOD BLESS JOHN NOVESKE R.I.P
slick228

Post by slick228 »

tstetz wrote:Thanks guys. I did send it to Peter back in the day along with a couple other designs which I'll post later. It wasn't in the cards.

Not sure how far back the WolfSpyder project started but it could have been brewing that far back. Or something else could have been. I know the folks at Spyderco have a ton of in house designs and collaborations with other makers so just because I came up with something I thought was decent doesn't mean they don't already have something in the pipe similar. Or it just may not be the right fit for the line up. Lots of factors go into what a company decides to produce and the one thing I've found over the years is that most knife companies are not sure on ideas, no matter how original we think our own might be!
Hi Tim,

A lot has changed in the last few years and 2016 is evident of that. I like your design a lot more than the WolfSpyder. Before you post more of your designs, you should email Peter and ask if Spyderco would reconsider your designs after a few years have elapsed. They might not be a good fit or have the capacity/ability to produced them a few years ago but, today, that has changed significantly.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I like the design. One suggestion I would have is to move the choil forward so it it sits under the thumb ramp. I have found this give much better control and feel for me in making cuts.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I really like that!
Flat grind would be better for most folk, though...
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

OH MY GOODNESS. I would get that knife lightning fast! That is BEAUTIFUL, a perfect design. I really admire the Scandi Grind and Spear Point and the overall shape and structure. Well done! Great job man! Thank you. Spyderco: PLEASE make this knife?????? :)
osprey

Post by osprey »

That's a really clean, good looking design. Hope things fall into place for this to be produced- I would certainly buy one.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:I really like that!
Flat grind would be better for most folk, though...
Agree with this, never liked scandi grinds on folders (not overly fond of it on fixed blades either and I'm a Norwegian having grown up using them..) It works fine with thin blade stocks (2-3mm) though..

The knife looks great though :D
tstetz

Post by tstetz »

I'm not entirely opposed to flat grind although half the point at the time was that there basically weren't Scandi folders so that was a lot of my impetus. There are a few around now at least. And I know Scandi is something of a niche following (I still want one :-p ). I think it would have worked as a saber or flat as well but my initial thought was for the Scandi.
Tim
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Nice looking design. You would have to change the name now however as Southern Grind Knives has a model called the Spider Monkey.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tsetz,

The reason that there are not many Scandi grind knives, especially folders is because the market for them is not very large. The Wolf Spyder project took a long time (years) and the power was the Ray Mears name. We've done a few Scandi models, but they are not very hot. Investing in bringing a new model to market is quite expessive and the market size must be considered before beginning.

You might reconsider your design?

sal
tstetz

Post by tstetz »

Yeah, in hindsight I definitely wouldn't be wedded to a Scandi grind. 6 years ago it seemed like a good idea :p I can absolutely see that that a more conventional grind would be more appealing to most customers.

I have (slowly) learned over the years that just because I like something doesn't mean it will have broad appeal. I have quirky tastes :D
Tim
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal, if I may ask, for your own speculation, why do you think Scandi grind knives, and infact, especially folders, are not as popular and have a smaller market than others? Is it because most folks are not into the whole "bush craft thing" or that they simply tend to go for more standard grinds like hollow and flat grinds?

tstetz: It would also be great to see a small sprint run of this knife, even if it was not a large batch, it would be a great blade to have and use.