Choice between two new Spyderco knives: Which one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Choice between two new Spyderco knives: Which one?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If you had to choose between these two: The new upcoming to be released ATR, or, the new upcoming to be released D`Allara, which would you choose if you could only purchase one of them? Both look superb and I am sure function perfectly. The ATR blade is definitely more unique as well as with the opening hole hood.
BTG

Re: Choice between two new Spyderco knives: Which one?

Post by BTG »

For me the D''Allara..only because I don't like the ATR at all...don't like holes in the scales like that....or the pits....and REALLY hate the look of that hood over the spydie hole...that one is not for me.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

D'Allara would be my choice. I love everything about that knife, but especially the solid SS backspacer. The ATR is a good design too, but I prefer the lines on the D'Allara.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd have to handle both before I could decide as I have really high hopes for both. I can tell you I'm not thrilled about the looks of the new D'Allara, but my love for the original had more to do with ergonomics than looks anyway. The ATR is one I missed out on originally and I've always had a curiosity about the cobra hood. Of the two my initial impressions are that I like the ATR more but we'll see. I'm really bummed to see the D'Allara doesn't have rounded handle scales too as they were one of my favorite parts of the original.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

It's a bit of a toss up for me. Based on the specs and how they look in the catalog I think I would go with the D'Allara. I would love the opportunity to handle each and compare the ball bearing lock with the compression lock. I have also not compared prices so that could have an impact on my decision too.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

ATR
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderEdgeForever

Yeah I have to admit, this is not a criticism on the design, but I was kindof hoping the new D`Allara would have a more drop-point like blade shape like the original as opposed to the chosen blade shape. But it looks to be a great knife, nonetheless. The Stretch 2 is also a third choice.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

This one is an easy choice for me. I created the thread a few years ago asking Sal for a g10 version of the ATR and now it's actually happening so right off the bat that's the one I'm going to buy. To say I'm excited for this model would be a huge understatement.

That said, the D'allara is probably the second most exciting knife for me in the catalog. I was not a fan of the original but the new version is so crisp and clean looking. I'm blown away at how amazing that knife looks. Spyderco has really hit it out of the park on that one.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

As a prior owner of both, I wouldn't hesitate to choose the ATR. The FRN D'Allara was an amazing knife, and would be great in a "super steel."
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Use the University of Wolverhampton Approved scientific method as follows:

Place a picture of each in front of you.
Place your finger on one picture.
Chant the following and move your finger from one picture to the other as you say each word:
"Ibble Obble Chocolate Bobble
Ibble Obble Out.
Turn the dirty dish cloth inside out
If Bob doesn't agree out goes number three
One, Two THREE"

Whichever your finger was on when you say 'three' is the one that goes out.
The other one is the one you buy.....SCIENCE! :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Neither.The more I look at these the more I like the old school originals.
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you all. What would you think of the new Stretch 2? Would that be a good choice, as well, if you compare it to the original Stretch?