Restoring 3 broken spydies

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
EDC Honeybee

Restoring 3 broken spydies

Post by EDC Honeybee »

So, just like last year, I bought up most of the broken spydies I could find at the seconds sale. This year there werent as many good ones, but still a few to be had. Last year I got a a Sage 1 for $5, delica for $10, and zdp df2 for $20. Reground the tips.

This year I got a broken delica for $5, a broken old dragonfly for $5, and a centofante for $15.

The delica was the most messed up. It was a combo edge with a broken tip, butter-knife edge, and most of the serrations chipped off. It needed an entire regrind to fix up the serrated section. Since I was going to be regrinding it and I did last year's like a Kahr Arms, this time I decided to go tanto. Now I have a tanto Delica! The other two just needed minor tip work. It was a little strange to do a flat grind over a hollow grind. Made it so that the tip grind on the tanto couldnt ever get a straight line between the two grinds, so it isnt as attractive as a normal tanto. I also left the back side of the blade more or less untouched like a chisel/hollow hybrid.

Also scrubbed them all down with soap and water, then gave them a wash in mineral oil to get out some of the more stubborn places, protect/clean rust, and restore some of the FRN. Wiped them down and lubed them with Tru-oil in the pivot.

Then gave them all mirror edges on the lansky.

There is something satisfying about putting an abused old knife back into service that is pretty fun. Plus awesome knives on the cheap.

Onto the photos

SG89

Re: Restoring 3 broken spydies

Post by SG89 »

Great job!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Holland

Post by Holland »

Wow! Well done! The delica 3 looks awesome tanto'd
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Holland wrote:Wow! Well done! The delica 3 looks awesome tanto'd
Thank you. I find tanto to be one of the least useful blade shapes, but figured it was time for something other than leaf and wharncliffe in the collection. :)
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Very cool work to be proud of. Do I spy a gray Manix 2 LW? I didn't know those were released yet.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nice work. The only thing I'd question is whether cutting down the kick on the Delica causes the edge of the blade to hit the spring or backspacer? I ask because it's always been my understanding the kick's purpose is to keep that from happening.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Very Nice work.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

The Deacon wrote:Nice work. The only thing I'd question is whether cutting down the kick on the Delica causes the edge of the blade to hit the spring or backspacer? I ask because it's always been my understanding the kick's purpose is to keep that from happening.
I was thinking the same.

Can we get a pic of it closed please?
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well done. I would blend the spine a bit more on the Centofante and Dfly, unless you want the Jandura look. They could both be made to look like nothing ever happened.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Very nice restoring job :cool:
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Lookin good man. That seconds sale looks to me like a golden ticket to Wonka land, and you're making the most of it in an awesome fashion!
paladin

Post by paladin »

The Deacon wrote:Nice work. The only thing I'd question is whether cutting down the kick on the Delica causes the edge of the blade to hit the spring or backspacer? I ask because it's always been my understanding the kick's purpose is to keep that from happening.
Good question, I'd like to know the answer also...however, but I'd wager even if it's contacting it would be minimal, plus landing on FRN wouldn't be very damaging to a robust grind like what's been applied.

Nice handiwork giving the blades new life and useful again...<plus looks good> :D ...what's your primary tools?
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

paladin wrote:
Good question, I'd like to know the answer also...however, but I'd wager even if it's contacting it would be minimal, plus landing on FRN wouldn't be very damaging to a robust grind like what's been applied.

Nice handiwork giving the blades new life and useful again...<plus looks good> :D ...what's your primary tools?
To respond about the kick, I dont have a photo, and even looking with a flashlight it isnt obvious which part is hitting now.

With the tanto it is a little more complex. Without reducing the kick, the tip of the tanto was exposed in the closed position. That obviously isnt acceptable since it is dangerous and would destroy pockets and hands. That said, I think I went a little too far. I cannot tell what part is hitting, but the closure sound is now that of steel against frn, not steel against steel (like on a normal delica). That says to me that the blade is hitting the frn right about the transition point on the grind. Certainly not ideal, but fine for a $5 shop blade.

My primary tools for this were a 1x30 harbor freight belt grinder (with ceramic 200 grit belt and a cork polishing belt), a bucket of water (to keep the blade cool every couple seconds of grinding), and lansky guided sharpener (to put a new and consistent edge on).

EDIT: just looked at the backspacer when open. There is a notch where it looks like the blade is hitting right at the corner of where the FRN starts. That is probably 1/2'' from the transition point on the blade.Looking down the edge with a light, and feeling it with my fingernail it does not appear the edge is rolling due to it hitting, but it will certainly create a dull spot over time, and may eventually cut into the frn more. I would do it somewhat differently if I did it again, but it was a good learning experience. For anyone else trying it, grind the blade THEN slowly grind the kick, checking how deep the blade goes so that it only goes as deep as needed without hitting the spacer
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Bdubs808 wrote:Very cool work to be proud of. Do I spy a gray Manix 2 LW? I didn't know those were released yet.
Yes you do. Maxamet. From the seconds sale. I think there were a couple there. As I understand it, they still havent shipped. Unfortunately that one is for the guy I proxied for, so I dont know how the steel performs yet. My Mule 24 should give me an idea though. :)