David Boyle dents on lockbacks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ArmaliteKnight

David Boyle dents on lockbacks

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

Question for all,
Why isn't the dent on the lock bar on most knives standard on spydies?
Looking at the '17 catalog I notice some knives have the dent and some don't. While most do have the dent, I have to wonder why others don't. I find the dent incredibly useful.
The police 4, native series, chappies and the new Jess Horn mini don't have this. It's not a complete turn off, but like I said, I find it useful.
Has anyone added this feature to a knife that doesn't have the dent? What would you recommend to mod a knife to have the dent? Think a dremel would grind it down enough?
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
Delica 4 FRN w/Emerson wave
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Matriarch2 FRN w/Emerson wave
GOD BLESS JOHN NOVESKE R.I.P
Jazz

Re: David Boyle dents on lockbacks

Post by Jazz »

I like the dent. Some don't, so that's why some don't have it. If you grind it, make sure when you press it down, it'll still unlock with a dent. I hope that made sense.
- best wishes, Jazz.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

ArmaliteKnight wrote:Question for all,
Why isn't the dent on the lock bar on most knives standard on spydies?
Looking at the '17 catalog I notice some knives have the dent and some don't. While most do have the dent, I have to wonder why others don't. I find the dent incredibly useful.
The police 4, native series, chappies and the new Jess Horn mini don't have this. It's not a complete turn off, but like I said, I find it useful.
Has anyone added this feature to a knife that doesn't have the dent? What would you recommend to mod a knife to have the dent? Think a dremel would grind it down enough?
I'm 99% sure that the Chaparral, Sage, and probably the Jess Horn are "gents' folders" and the dent is not present for aesthetic reasons. The Police may have had some feedback from LEOs that use it and prefer not having the dent. I dunno about the Native.

I would love to know what Sal would say about this question...
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
paladin

Post by paladin »

strong feelings on both sides of this issue...

I like the dent...basically I just like the way it feels.

Having a traditional "dentless" lockbar however, has never been a feature that has kept me from buying a model I really wanted.

I think it's good that Spyderco has varied their models' lockbars. And I appreciate the ones they decided to leave dentless and think it was good judgment to make them so.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

paladin wrote:strong feelings on both sides of this issue...

This is the main reason I like it. It's a tactile reference point for my thumb. I find it helps me unlock the lock without having to look. Sure I can do it without the dent but it helps. It is a bit unsightly though.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

I prefer the dent on the lockbar. It provides a point of reference when unlocking the lock. I believe it is also supposed to be a deterrent from accidentally unlocking the lockbar while the knife is in use but I've never had this issue.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Boye Dent, no L.

On one hand it is added as a safety feature. Although many like it as an indexing feature for their thumb it is my understanding that this was not it's intended purpose. On the other hand it is omitted to cut cost and for aesthetic reasons. I heard that Boye gets a royalty on it but I cannot confirm this.

Where is the Deacon? Letting the dead horse lie?

Get your search on my man. This topic has come up a bunch over the years.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Oh yeah, I hope all is well with the new fam!

if you decided to add one just make sure that you do not remove too much or you may not be able to unlock your knife. :eek: A simple mod could turn into a costly mistake if you go too far.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Boye Dent, no L
Yeah sorry about this, I was close though!!
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Oh yeah, I hope all is well with the new fam!

if you decided to add one just make sure that you do not remove too much or you may not be able to unlock your knife. :eek: A simple mod could turn into a costly mistake if you go too far.
Our little new addition is doing well, I however am very tired :(
He still has his days and nights backwards and I find myself just sleeping whenever I can.

On the removal of material from the lockbar to make a dent- I feel like you're right on target about not being able to unlock it and well...I have met my quota on fixed blades this month haha
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's relatively easy for someone who wants a Boye dent to add it, or have someone add it. OTOH, if a knife has a Boye dent, the only way to remove the **** thing is to replace the entire lockbar.

Do agree that Spyderco's use of it defies logic. They say it's for safety on hard use, tactical, and SD folders, yet knives like the original Manix (large and small) and the first three versions of the Chinook did not have it, while the Ladybug, Jester, and Kopa did. If that's not a world class WTF, I don't know what is.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I really like how you can feel the lock without looking or fumbling. Long live the Boye dent (except on Paul's knives ;)).
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You guys who say you use it to find the lock, isn't it easy enough to feel for the cutout in the handle?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Re: Evil D

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:You guys who say you use it to find the lock, isn't it easy enough to feel for the cutout in the handle?
I've wondered the same thing as I've had reduced feeling in my hands for years and never had a problem finding the lock on a Kiwi or other "dentless" Spyderco midlock. Heck, even if having the dent can shave a couple fractions of a second off your closing time, what's the significance? The case for "rapid deployment" is weak enough, can't believe anyone has ever suffered negative consequences from being marginally slower closing a knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

paladin wrote:strong feelings on both sides of this issue...

Having a traditional "dentless" lockbar however, has never been a feature that has kept me from buying a model I really wanted.

I think it's good that Spyderco has varied their models' lockbars. And I appreciate the ones they decided to leave dentless and think it was good judgment to make them so.
+1

I guess I really don't mind either way regarding the Boye dent. Some models seem to "look" better without the dent, but I've never not purchased a model because of the Dent.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Obviously, we're in disagreement. It's just easier to feel it. It's not like we're handicapped and need it to find the lock. It also feels better to me pushing on a curve than flat. I had to smooth the edges on my Chap's lockbar. Would have made a Boye dent if the cutout was curved, not angular. Yet, the Natives feel fine.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:
Evil D wrote:You guys who say you use it to find the lock, isn't it easy enough to feel for the cutout in the handle?
I've wondered the same thing as I've had reduced feeling in my hands for years and never had a problem finding the lock on a Kiwi or other "dentless" Spyderco midlock. Heck, even if having the dent can shave a couple fractions of a second off your closing time, what's the significance? The case for "rapid deployment" is weak enough, can't believe anyone has ever suffered negative consequences from being marginally slower closing a knife.

I've had back locks close on me from squeezing the handle too hard but I was also doing something really stupid at the time. I understand the idea behind the dent as far as safety goes, but before Spyderco I had no idea such a thing existed and never felt the need for it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I still feel it's a solution in search of a problem. I'm with Paul, if every Boye dent on Earth vanished tonight, I'd still be happy if and when I noticed.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Evil D

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yeah it is easy enough to unlock without one, you're right. But when the OP started this thread I thought about the dent and how it effects my uses. A reference point for my thumb came to mind. it's probably not the best answer or use for it but it's the one I came up with :o
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

The Deacon wrote:It's relatively easy for someone who wants a Boye dent to add it, or have someone add it. OTOH, if a knife has a Boye dent, the only way to remove the **** thing is to replace the entire lockbar.

Do agree that Spyderco's use of it defies logic. They say it's for safety on hard use, tactical, and SD folders, yet knives like the original Manix (large and small) and the first three versions of the Chinook did not have it, while the Ladybug, Jester, and Kopa did. If that's not a world class WTF, I don't know what is.
Since I can''t remember my opinion from the old days, I must not have been strongly opinionated one way or another on the Boye dent debate. It has been there since the early 2000s.

But I have to go with Deacon on the logic on which models it goes on. I'm looking at the new catalog and the Police 4 is right next to what looks like the model 3. The handles are barely different. One has it, one doesn't, will it make a difference?

If I remember correctly one of the martial knife guys (probably Keating or Janich) showed Sal why it was a good idea. Apparently it was convincing enough for them to put it on blades for last 15 or so years. However, it does seem like a bit of voodoo.

Besides aesthetically, the dam dent is almost always off center, so it looks bad as in these Delicas:

http://imgur.com/y9I3Sr5