Para 3 vs Sage 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomzz

Para 3 vs Sage 5

Post by toomzz »

Hello boys and girls,

The 2017 catalogue is there again, exiciting, isn't it?

I was wondering, what you would choose and what are you arguments, if you had to decide between the Sage 5 and Para 3? Both are in S30V, 3 inch blade and compression locked. I don't really know yet, maybe you can convince me in a way :rolleyes:

Tomas
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sprint potential = Para 3
Ergonomics = Sage 5
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Slumblor

Re: Para 3 vs Sage 5

Post by Slumblor »

I held off on the Sage 5 because I was waiting for the Para 3. I will get a Para 3, but I was wondering the same thing, I may end up with both so I can decide.
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Too soon to tell.I need to handle the Para3 first.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

The Sage 5 is what got me buying Spydercos again! I took about a year off from buying knives to save money for the firearms hobby. My Sage 5 was extremely stiff when I got it, but it's smoothed out a considerable amount. The centering is pretty far off, but that's my fault for adjusting the pivot. Just can't seem to fix that though.

But since day one of getting the Sage 5, it's been the only one in my pocket besides my work knife. To me it's the perfect size, perfect weight, and the pocket clip rides really deep. Thought I would want the Para 3 over a Sage 5, but I guess I was wrong!

Matt
Parhelion

Post by Parhelion »

Just wondering if Para3 will have same pivot system and smooth mechanics as Para2? Sage 5 seems works a bit differently.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Parhelion wrote:Just wondering if Para3 will have same pivot system and smooth mechanics as Para2? Sage 5 seems works a bit differently.
I'm hopeful that it will have the same pivot system and enjoys the same action as most PM2s. My Sage 5 is a nice knife all around but the stiff action makes the compression lock kind of awkward to use. I can loosen the pivot a tiny bit and it works great but then I get a little blade play.

As far as ergonomics goes, both knives should be very similar aside from the back end. The Para 3 may not work well for users with large hands but it should be good for most.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

In the same vein as Evil D:

Para3=sprint potential
Sage5=no sprint potential

Enjoy the Sage5 now and wait for the Para3's steel/scale variations that will likely come. If the wait becomes unbearable, you can always get the production Para3 that will become available next month. In the meantime, you will possess a Spydie that misses utter perfection, IMHO, only for want of a choice of steels.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Size is nearly identical, weight is nearly identical, both are RH compression locks, both are S30V. Pretty much comes down to whether you prefer 4 way clip mounting or deep ride wire clip, whether you'd rather have a thicker blade or thinner one, whether you prefer the slight grip advantage of peel-ply G10 or the esthetics of tweed CF laminate, and whether you attach significance to a "Made in USA" tang stamp.

Neither one really speaks to me, but if forced to pick one, I'd go with the Sage 5. Partly because thinner blades appeal to me while peel ply G-10 and the name ParaMilitary don't, and partly because I have all 5 of the other Sages and 0 ParaMilitaries.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Both have S30V steel blade and Compression Lock.

Sage 5 is a great little folder and the textured CF gives you a solid grip. Taichung folders are very well made. At $132 it's well worth it.

Para3 with G-10 seems a little pricey at $120 compared to Sage5 with CF at $132.

Para3 has a lot of potential down the road for Sprints. There will only be one model for Sage 5.

Para3 looks a little wider than Sage 5.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

RamZar wrote:Both have S30V steel blade and Compression Lock.

Sage 5 is a great little folder and the textured CF gives you a solid grip. Taichung folders are very well made. At $132 it's well worth it.

Para3 with G-10 seems a little pricey at $120 compared to Sage5 with CF at $132.

Para3 has a lot of potential down the road for Sprints. There will only be one model for Sage 5.

Para3 looks a little wider than Sage 5.

For me, the Carbon Fiber/G-10 laminate handles of the Sage 5 don't add any value to the knife over regular G-10 except for aesthetics. Since they are mostly G10, I don't think you're getting any weight savings, which is the point of CF. As such, the Para 3 coming in cheaper (albeit slightly) would be a plus in my book.

These knives do seem VERY similar, though, so if I was going to buy one the deciding factor would be ergonomics (which knife feels better in my hand) and pocket carry (which knife carries slimmer in pocket, from back of the handle to the spine of blade). Guess I'll have to go to a retail store when these are both in stock and see which one fits my hand better!
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

Another consideration is the Sage series contributes to Alzheimer's research.

For all of the considerations above, I'd prefer the Sage 5. However, tip up only clips are a deal-breaker for me, so Para3 it is.
NJMS

Post by NJMS »

Personally for a choice between the S30V knives I've chosen the Sage 5. Better slicer (should be anyway with the thinner blade stock) and I love the wire clip.

But I'll grab me some PM3 action maybe in burple or another sprint down the track.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I think I'll go for the Sage 5. The thinner blade stock is a feature for my uses.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I'd take the Sage 5: prettier scales, deep wire clip, thinner stock and roomier handle.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Aargh! I wait all this time for a Para 3, and they make it with a 3.8 mm blade thickness...

Why must they taunt me?!
timlara

Post by timlara »

I will withhold judgment on the PM3 until I can handle one, but at this point I'm pretty sure I will stay firmly in the Sage 5 camp. The ergos of the Sage are just fantastic and I will always prefer a wire clip over a standard steel one for my purposes as I like the more subtle look and softer clip tension, not to mention the wire clips tend to cause less of a hotspot in hand.

If the Sage 5 were ever available with a steel upgrade, that would pretty much be endgame for my preferences.
Tim
Ti Rod Tactical

Post by Ti Rod Tactical »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:58 am
Parhelion wrote:Just wondering if Para3 will have same pivot system and smooth mechanics as Para2? Sage 5 seems works a bit differently.
I'm hopeful that it will have the same pivot system and enjoys the same action as most PM2s. My Sage 5 is a nice knife all around but the stiff action makes the compression lock kind of awkward to use. I can loosen the pivot a tiny bit and it works great but then I get a little blade play.

As far as ergonomics goes, both knives should be very similar aside from the back end. The Para 3 may not work well for users with large hands but it should be good for most.
Ummmm?....
I'm wondering if the "pin through the blade" that follows the cutout in the lock side of the stainless liner might be a hair too long in your example. If you've had your's apart already like lots of folks, I would look at the inner part of the scale where the curved part of the cutout covers. If you see a little rub from the pin, this action issue should go away with either scraping a little more depth in the G10,... or trimming a tiny amount off the pin in the blade. (trimming the blade pin .005 to .0010 inch probably easiest) This extra relief should allow you to tighten the pivot screw enough to eliminate all play, without creating the binding that's probably causing the stiff action when you tighten the pivot screw to remove blade play.

....If you haven't had you're apart and don't plan to, I would send it in under warranty and they should be able to alleviate the issue easily.

For the life of me I have NO idea WHY this model had the blade guide pin and liner curved slot??? It's not used in other models having the compression lock, but it looks to me like the PM2 and Para 3 use a larger diameter pivot than the Sage 5.

IF the use of of smaller diameter pivot created some instability in the prototype using this lock on the Sage 5, why not just use the same wider pivot as used on the Para 3 and PM2? We already know how great an action they have! ....just saying.....

If you haven't seen a Sage 5 broken down, Nick Shabazz does it here so you can see what it looks like:

https://youtu.be/JODVKCrPI5A&t=361s

By the way, I was thinking of buying a Sage 5 because I like the blade shape,...but that slot was a no go for me, as in my mind it weakens the pivot as the slot ends every close to the liner edge.

Joe T
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ti Rod Tactical wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:58 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:58 am

Ummmm?....
I'm wondering if the "pin through the blade" that follows the cutout in the lock side of the stainless liner might be a hair too long in your example. If you've had your's apart already like lots of folks, I would look at the inner part of the scale where the curved part of the cutout covers. If you see a little rub from the pin, this action issue should go away with either scraping a little more depth in the G10,... or trimming a tiny amount off the pin in the blade. (trimming the blade pin .005 to .0010 inch probably easiest) This extra relief should allow you to tighten the pivot screw enough to eliminate all play, without creating the binding that's probably causing the stiff action when you tighten the pivot screw to remove blade play.

....If you haven't had you're apart and don't plan to, I would send it in under warranty and they should be able to alleviate the issue easily.

For the life of me I have NO idea WHY this model had the blade guide pin and liner curved slot??? It's not used in other models having the compression lock, but it looks to me like the PM2 and Para 3 use a larger diameter pivot than the Sage 5.

IF the use of of smaller diameter pivot created some instability in the prototype using this lock on the Sage 5, why not just use the same wider pivot as used on the Para 3 and PM2? We already know how great an action they have! ....just saying.....

If you haven't seen a Sage 5 broken down, Nick Shabazz does it here so you can see what it looks like:

https://youtu.be/JODVKCrPI5A&t=361s

By the way, I was thinking of buying a Sage 5 because I like the blade shape,...but that slot was a no go for me, as in my mind it weakens the pivot as the slot ends every close to the liner edge.

Joe T
The post you're quoting was from two years ago. I had sent my Sage 5 to Spyderco for detent issues. They replaced it with a new one. Not sure if I made that post before or after. Regardless, the new knife is definitely better. The action still isn't quite as good as any of my Golden compression lock knives but it's very smooth and the blade falls closed when I press the lock with no blade play. So it's fine. I can't say for sure but I don't think the action issues I experienced with my first S5 had anything to do with that stop pin.

Just to clarify, the Sliverax and the Kapara use the same internal stop pin set up. So it appears to be standard on the Taichung models with compression lock. I have no concerns about any of these knives being too weak for my use. I use my knives for every day cutting. If I need to cut a tree limb I'll use one of the saws I have.

Here's what Paul Alexander had to say about the use of the internal stop pin...

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 7#p1180557

Thanks for the link. I like Nick but if I need to see what's going on inside one of my knives I usually just take it apart and see for myself.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

I have a Sage 5 which now seems to be broken in - after four years of owning it. Until recently, the action seemed quite stiff, and I was continually fiddling with the pivot screw. I was perplexed by this because I had heard that the Paramilitary 2 and 3 had very smooth actions, and I assumed that the Sage 5 would too. So it came as surprise to me to learn that the Sage 5 has a different pivot system than the PMs. Four years ago, when I was debating between the PM3 and Sage5, I had no idea they might have different mechanisms, and there was no mention of the difference on the Spyderco Web site. So what was the purpose of the different pivot systems? If someone had told me then that the Sage 5 has a different pivot system that makes its action less smooth than the PM2 or PM3, I might have purchased a PM3.