Shortening the blade of a Yojimbo or Ronin?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knifestyle

Shortening the blade of a Yojimbo or Ronin?

Post by Knifestyle »

After several years of being a forum poser, I finally attended an MBC seminar this summer and truly got my feet wet in the dynamics of cutting and flow drills. I have forced myself trying to inertia opening because it wastes entire weekends and kills my elbow, but everything changed the way I even look at a blade. My first and only Spyderco was a pink Delica which has been riding in my pocket since early 2011, the trainer that came with it stays on my nightstand for opening practice. But after being exposed to Janich's approach and methods firsthand, I'm really seeing the limits of the fantastic entry-level design and needing something suited for the style. The problem? I'm in Illinois, and near Chicago of all places.

My local MBC instructor carries a Yojimbo which was milled down to 2.5 inches per Chicago laws. I however live in the suburbs and only head into the city to train or for an event occasionally, and thus am aiming for the 3 inch mark. The current Yojimbo is just a tenth of an inch past the limit. Personally, I have a background of carrying fixed blades while my pink Delica was for more people-friendly utility occasions. I have the discipline and wardrobe options to attempt carrying a Ronin, considering I spent years of it being unavailable craving one it would be extremely satisfying. But sadly, the latest version adds nearly 1.1 inches over the Illinois limit and I'm concerned shortening the blade would throw off the shape of the blade.

For those who have had to reshape Janich blades, what are your thoughts? Should I stick with the folder and shave it down a bit, or is the Ronin an option if I can find some one with the talent to reshape it?
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Should be extremely easy to do, just grind down some of the spine until it's as short as you want it. I chipped the tip on one of my Yojimbos and had to do the same to fix it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Studey

Re: Shortening the blade of a Yojimbo or Ronin?

Post by Studey »

If you're the slightest bit interested in defensive carry, you want the Ronin. Fixed blades are vastly easier to access under duress, particularly while in contact with an assailant. You mention Chicago, so I assume you're talking about Keith? Talk to him, and he'll echo this sentiment. A fixed blade, good sheath, and a trainer set is the way to go.

Knifestyle

Post by Knifestyle »

I agree a Ronin would be the better long-term investment. More handle, less blade would be even better. But how to tone down the length without losing the point geometry...Are there any well-known people who have done this?
Studey

Post by Studey »

Josh at Razor Edge Knives would be my go to. I had him do a couple of edges for me recently and he did fantastic work. Lots of forum members have been happy with his work. Google him and you'll find his site.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, Knifestyle:

Welcome to the MBC family and thanks for your questions.

Based on your comments, you trained with Keith Jennings, one of my Certified Instructors and a very talented teacher. The bobbed Yo2 he carries is my handiwork. I've also bobbed Ronins for Colorado carry (less than 3.5 inches). If you'd like to learn more, you can e-mail me at the address on the MBC web site.

Stay safe,

Mike