Are all Spyderco Knives Ambidextrous?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mal

Are all Spyderco Knives Ambidextrous?

Post by mal »

Hi members, are all Spyderco Knives Ambidextrous?

If they are not, how can I quickly cull from their enormous cataloge those which are?

I am a leftie and want a folding, assisted opening ambidextrous little lovely.

All responses will be answered.

All the best, Mal AU

Spyderco Angle Sharpening System
Benchmade 940-1 S90V
bearfacedkiller

Re: Are all Spyderco Knives Ambidextrous?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

No, liner, frame and compression locks are not ambidextrous although plenty of lefties adapt to using them.

Back locks, ball bearing locks and the bolt action lock are all ambidextrous.

Then there is clip orientation. Look for knives with clip holes on both sides. The Centofante3 for example is right hand only although it has the ambidextrous back lock.

You are out of luck on the assisted opening part.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well if you're looking for assisted opening you've come to the wrong place anyway.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

What about the restricted knives like the Autonomy? It's an Auto I believe. You'd need to be able to buy from Spyderco's restricted knives though, LEO, Military, ETC. Not sure if the button lock on that one would be considered ambidextrous though.
Current collection: ZDP-189 Delica 4, S110V PM2, St. Nick's 4v Para 3, H1 sheepsfoot Manbug, Kapara, VG-10 Dragonfly, ATS-55 Serrated Delica, ZDP-189 MT04 (not broken yet) + Other non spydercos.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Mal:

I write all the catalog copy for Spyderco and make a point of highlighting ambidextrous function whenever it's appropriate. Please bear in mind, however, that you need to read carefully, as product copy is both marketing and education. Here are some tips:

As noted earlier in this thread, some locks are not lefty-friendly. Ball Bearing Locks, Power Locks, and back locks are symmetrical and work equally well left and right handed. Liner locks, Reeve Integral Locks, and Compression Locks are right-hand biased, but can be operated lefty with practice.

In some designs, the Trademark Round Hole is only accessible with the right hand. When possible, I try to work in the phrase "fully accessible Trademark Round Hole" to highlight designs that can be opened equally well left or right handed. It's also a good idea to look at the photos of the closed knife to see if the blade hole is exposed in the closed position.

Most Spyderco knives have reversible clips that support left or right-side carry. Many have four-position clips that support tip-up and tip-down carry on both sides. However, the lock limitations and hole accessibility described above will still overshadow clip position with regard to the practicality of left-handed operation.

For knives that are truly ambidextrous, I usually try to highlight that fact prominently with phrases like "all aspects of carry and operation are completely ambidextrous."

Now for the really cool part... With the launch of Spyderco's BRAND NEW WEB SITE, phrases like "completely ambidextrous," "fully accessible," and "fully ambidextrous" are now searchable terms and will help you quickly narrow your choices. The search terms are not foolproof on the web site (until I re-write all the web copy to match the catalog copy), but they do a pretty good job of narrowing the field with a few keystrokes.

Thanks, TazKristi for your AWESOME work on the new web site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay safe,

Mike
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Any Spyderco knife can be used left handed, if you're (pardon the expression) dexterous enough. Slip joints, and locking models with a midlock, ball bearing lock, or bolt action lock are the most "lefty friendly" and it's rare to find one these days where the clip only mounts on one side or the Spyderhole is more exposed on one side. Some folks would add the compression lock to the "lefty friendly" list, but I'd contend any lock that operates side-to-side must favor one hand over the other. The only things In their favor are provision for left handed clip mounting and fully exposed Spyderholes.

As for the Autonomy, while I wouldn't call it ambidextrous, I have no problem operating it or any other right handed auto with my left hand. I simply fire them with my index finger, rather than my thumb. Safeties can be a bit harder to work that way, but even for those who are right handed they defeat any advantage an auto has over a well made one hand opener. But autos are relatively easy to open "weak handed", so RH carry becomes a viable option. That's the case for me, anyway. Most times these days, if I'm carrying an auto I'm also carrying a handgun, and the auto goes on my right side.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Michael Janich wrote:Dear Mal:

I write all the catalog copy for Spyderco and make a point of highlighting ambidextrous function whenever it's appropriate. Please bear in mind, however, that you need to read carefully, as product copy is both marketing and education. Here are some tips.

Stay safe,

Mike
The definitive answer.

But will add like others that there are no assisted openers. That is really only needed on knives with lower quality control. Even backlocks from spyderco can be flicked open once broken in. Most other companies with assisted opening will also be on non-lefty knives (liner and Reeve integral) so you will end up choosing one feature or the other. My two cents, just get a spyderco backlock and don't look back.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

You might want to check out the new left-handed Paramilitary 2. Otherwise, as mentioned previously, there are a few great models that are very ambidextrous.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

They will all cut using the left hand....
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I agree with EDC Honybee. Just get a backlock and don't look back.

I have liner and frame locks and can easily use them left handed, just so you know. But, the back lock is stronger, more intuitive, and truly ambidextrous.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

As a Lefty myself I concur with all the above. My two favorites are the Delica and the Native, which are 100% ambi.