BENTO M390 PM2 or S90V MILLIE?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DrtyHarry

BENTO M390 PM2 or S90V MILLIE?

Post by DrtyHarry »

Ugh.....I don't think I can afford both so it's one or the other. I have a backup NIB S110V Millie I can sell? What to do? :eek:

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
paladin

Re: BENTO M390 PM2 or S90V MILLIE?

Post by paladin »

Buy a Cruwear Military AND a Cruwear PM2... ;)

I know, those weren't an option... :rolleyes:

I've used both models...I couldn't tell the difference in medium rotation of EDC.

Carried both about a year each, sold em both and all I did was re-establish the microbevel @ 40 deg rod holes with Med. rods a few times each and they stayed factory sharp that way with very easy maintenance. I couldn't tell a discernable difference <in any area of maintaining or use> between the 2 supersteels.

I prefer Cruwear to both. I like how it responds to the clean Sharpmaker rods better. Maybe it's just me. :rolleyes:

But if you have your heart set on those stainless supersteels, I'd say go with the model that is the size and lock combination that you prefer. I don't think you'll notice a performance difference with normal usage.

Let us know what you decide! :spyder:
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

M390 and S90V are two of my favorite steels and am most familiar with them....I have some pieces in M4 as well, but find that M4 is more prone to rust. I have several PM2 and Millies......I had always carried a Millie, but over time I started carrying a PM2 more often for some reason.

Now, I usually carry a PM2 in M4. My primary knife is always a SHIRO 111 in M390 that I carry primarily for self defense. My 2nd knife is my EDC utility knife that is used all the time.....and it's usually a PM2 or Millie. Sometimes, I switch it up and carry a ZT 0392WC. Most of the custom Shiro knives I have are S90V and M390. I love both....I feel like S90V is harder to work with but holds an edge a bit longer and feels a bit more "toothy" than M390.

I don't carry a Millie as often as I used to. I wanted a Millie in S90V for a long time....but they were always north of $600. The PM2 M390 from BENTO I always see pop up for a min of $300 to $400....even more.

I am putting my backup S110V blurple Millie up for sale....but not sure which one to pick up after.
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

DrtyHarry wrote:Ugh.....I don't think I can afford both so it's one or the other. I have a backup NIB S110V Millie I can sell? What to do? :eek:

Harry
Buy the m390 PM2. It's the only folding Spyderco made with that steel so it's pretty rare. The S90V Millie has been avaialabe for a long time. And probably will still be there when you get around to saving up for it next time.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Don't forget about the upcoming KW Military. S90V, titanium framelock, peel ply CF scale. I've never been so eager to spend $280 on a knife :p

You have some time between the M390 Para2 and the previously mentioned KW exclusive Millie. Get 'em both!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think S110V is better for wear resistance and corrosion resistance than S90V. I'm not sure if S90V is better than S110V at anything, it could be slightly tougher.

I say it's down to a $180 S110V Military or the M390 Para based on if you like the Military or Para better.

Isn't M390 a lower class steel than S110V? It's quite a bit tougher, but has quite a bit more wear resistance.

Maybe it's down to a S110V Military vs a S110V Para or a M390 Para based on how much you like blue, which model you like and what you want out of it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Studey

Post by Studey »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Buy the m390 PM2. It's the only folding Spyderco made with that steel so it's pretty rare.

There was also the CF/M390 Military.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

KW is doing an S90V CF Millie?? This I did not know! An older S90V Millie is crazy expensive.

Since KW is doing a CF S90V, I'll go with the M390 PM2.

ETA on the KW S90V MILLIE?
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

And in my experience....S90V is much harder than S110V. Have both blurple PM2 and Millie. S90V can last forever without needing to sharpen it. Just some leather every so often keeps a hair cutting edge.....IMHO.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Any CF M390 PM2s on deck?
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

You may be getting carried away. If you already have a S110V military, there's no reason to drop 200 on an S90V military, and unless you need the extra corrosion resistance, m390 isn't that much better than s30v.

I know there's the collector urge to buy all the stuff. That's good if you've got money to burn, but if you're hurting, all those duplicate militaries and para-militaries are just going to sit still. It'll take years for the limited editions to reach the $500 value mark on ebay, and even then you'll be lucky if some poor fool buys one.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I've never used S90V. I also don't really have a need for extreme wear resistance. I bought the M390 PM2 because I like the balance M390 strikes as far as high vanadium stainless steels go, and I REALLY like that smurf blue!
asmith001

Post by asmith001 »

I have a blue BBS CPM S90V Millie I'd let go. It's a user in very good condition. PM me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, if you want MY opinion, I'd say neither. I don't buy from Bento, and I wouldn't choose S90V Over S110V and I already have S110V.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
asmith001

Post by asmith001 »

DrtyHarry wrote:
comment deleted
Last edited by asmith001 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

asmith001 wrote:Any interest in my Millie?
I guess I have to be the guy that reminds you that there's no buying/selling/trading on this forum. :rolleyes: If you want DH to buy your Millie, arrange it via PM or email. If you want to sell your Millie, get an account on Blade Forums and sell it on their Exchange, like I did last night with my BBS S90V Millie.

To get to the OP's question, I've been battling this question of the "blues" myself the last few weeks. I sold my second run M390 PM2 on BF a few weeks ago thinking the S90V Millie would be my go-to smurf blue blade. Then reading threads like these got me thinking I may have made a bad choice (given that I have a few S110V blades), so I sold my Millie yesterday. Then BBS had to send me a reminder email at 10 PM or so last night that their M390 PM2s were in stock, so I caved and bought one (from CA no less, thanks for the added sales tax!).

Back to square one I guess! One thing that tipped the scales (no pun intended) was someone's comment that the third run's build quality was on par with the recent Cruwear sprint (which is dead on), so I'm hoping this new incoming M390 will be the same.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
asmith001

Post by asmith001 »

Oops... didn't realize that. Sorry, guys.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
asmith001 wrote:Any interest in my Millie?
I guess I have to be the guy that reminds you that there's no buying/selling/trading on this forum. :rolleyes: If you want DH to buy your Millie, arrange it via PM or email. If you want to sell your Millie, get an account on Blade Forums and sell it on their Exchange, like I did last night with my BBS S90V Millie.

To get to the OP's question, I've been battling this question of the "blues" myself the last few weeks. I sold my second run M390 PM2 on BF a few weeks ago thinking the S90V Millie would be my go-to smurf blue blade. Then reading threads like these got me thinking I may have made a bad choice (given that I have a few S110V blades), so I sold my Millie yesterday. Then BBS had to send me a reminder email at 10 PM or so last night that their M390 PM2s were in stock, so I caved and bought one (from CA no less, thanks for the added sales tax!).

Back to square one I guess! One thing that tipped the scales (no pun intended) was someone's comment that the third run's build quality was on par with the recent Cruwear sprint (which is dead on), so I'm hoping this new incoming M390 will be the same.
And I'm so looking forward to putting it to good use :)
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

I feel like my knives in S90V are stronger than my S110V. They certainly are harder to sharpen. M390 is a bit easier to maintain than M390....IMHO.

I just put my backup NIB S110V Millie for sale....and as soon as that sells, I'll try and grab a M390 PM2.

I try not to buy anything from BB because I think they are way over priced. I use my PM2 with Flytanium scales all the time and it currently has an M4 blade. I'd rather use a M390 instead because of prone M4 is to rust...